Your body needs natural sugar!

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Your body needs natural sugar!

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  bouncygal 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

mtnsbeyondmtns
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 0

Hi all,

I found some candida myths and wanted some input and wanted to share. The most interesting one is the concept of sugar. I agree with EmpoweredSustainance in her blog post http://empoweredsustenance.com/sugar-its-your-friend/ that you should NOT starve your body of natural sugars and carbohydrates.

I implore you , look into the process of glycolysis and you will quickly see the extreme importance of natural sugars. This is why I have chosen to keep sugars/carbohydrates from fruits/honey/veggies in my plan to treat my candida. I am not an extreme case. I do have some fatigue and have had frequent vaginal thrush in the past, but I am a healthy, active, and high functioning individual searching for a cure for vulvar vestibulitis. I do eat too much REFINED sugars, that is for sure. So I have cut that out completely.

Before you jump on this bandwagon called the Candida Diet, take some things into consideration. Starving your body of natural sugars IS DANGEROUS to your health. Your cells live on that stuff! Second, Stevia and xylitol as natural sweetener have some pretty scary side effects: http://empoweredsustenance.com/is-stevia-bad-for-you/.

I think taking probiotics and antifungals combined with a grain free diet is a great option for treating candida, and that is what I’m going for. On top of this, I am also going low oxalate to see if that helps with my VV.

I don’t share these two myths (no natural sugars/stevia and xylitol) without an understanding of the mechanisms involved in the body’s metabolism of these two substances. I have a background in biochemistry and a graduate student in organic chemistry. It makes sense that you need natural sugars!

Please read the blog post and post your thoughts and comments. Anyone else keeping natural sugars and having positive results?

Thanks!

Mtns

Momto3
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 2

Absolutely!

I still eat fruit, veggies, and potatoes while doing my plan. I’m having very strong die off symptoms just while doing my modified plan, so I wouldn’t want to do any stricter or drastic than I already am!

My main problem with the traditional diet is that it’s not sustainable for me. It would pretty much cut my diet to nothing and I can’t sustain that for 12 months. I’m not going to cut out all fruit, some veggies, all or most grains, and all beans. That’s just too much and it would mean that I would likely quit trying to deal with the candida altogether and wind up worse off in the long run.

I’m a vegetarian and a lot of treatment diets are basically meats and veggies. I’m not going to go down to eating just veggies for 1 year. That would likely impact my health worse than just doing a modified candida diet.

Tdog333
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 245

Broccoli- one bunch 10 g Sugar
    Cauliflower- one large head 16 g Sugar
    Green Beans- One cup 3.3 g Sugar
    Rutabaga- One large 34 g Sugar
    Turnip- One large 7 g Sugar

You get plenty of sugar from vegetables, there’s no reason to add in potatoes or sugary fruits, you’re just slowing recovery time. Your body can adapt to the food source you consume. It can fuel itself from fats convert parts to use like sugar. The only thing you need to worry about it not going into ketosis, or keeping your carbs above 50-75 a day.
    Potatoes are are 111% on the glycemic index or digested as pure sugar pretty much.

Momto3

For me, slowing down my recovery time is probably a good thing. I can’t imagine dealing with any more detox symptoms right now than I already am.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Yup no one is going around saying not to eat vegetables or carbs, there is no way to avoid consuming sugar on the diet.

But I think its pretty ridiculous to go out and recklessly eat honey and high sugar fruits just because of someone’s blog. You’ll be doing two steps forward 2 steps back.

I don’t know what kinds of carbs you were planning on but if you are starting out consuming beans, squash, potatoes, etc. then its going to be difficult to get better initially.

-raster

raster
    Participant

Her recipes are not candida friendly either and this lady does not have any certifications or professional experience. She doesn’t work in the health industry and treats herself via a diet that contains sugar.

If you look at the recipes portion of her blog they contain tons of junk under the sweet things post. This is kinda sad to see. Even under the baked things post, there is a ton of bad stuff. I would not be sold on honey being healthy for the diet, its going to benefit the yeast imho.

Good intentions but not everything on her site is true and correct for everyone.

-raster

ChrisP22
    Topics: 0

Hi speaking of sugars, my doctor Lyme doctor just prescribed Lactulose to me, but I have systemic Candida. Is it okay that I take this being that it’s a sugar? I hear some posts say that it doesn’t feed Candida and others say that it does. Anybody from experience know anything about this? I have been unable to digest my food or have regular bowel movements unless I do colon cleanses so I am desperate to try anything, but at the same time I don’t want to sabotage all the hard work I have done with following a strict diet. I’ve been treating Candida for almost four months now. I feel like poop, no pun intended.

raster
    Participant

Hello Chris,

You don’t have systematic candida, because if you did, you would be fighting for your life in a hospital bed. What you should be calling it CRC (candida related complex).

As far as your question is concerned, I don’t think we have a clear answer for your and you should consult a doctor.

-raster

ChrisP22
    Topics: 0

Well actually I felt like I was fighting for my life at several points but I couldn’t really care less about what we should or shouldn’t be calling it. As far as the doctor, it was a doctor who prescribed it to me, and as most people already know, when it comes to Lyme and Candida, doctors can’t always provide the best answer. I am looking to see if anyone on this forum here has had any experience with it themselves. I understand that everyone is different, but it would be helpful if anyone who has experienced a Candida related growth problem or whatever you would technically call it, has actually taken Lactulose and what their experience was like. Are you representing everyone in the forum when you say that you don’t have an answer?

raster
    Participant

No I’m not representing everyone on the forum. If you do a search in the upper right hand corner and use the word lyme, there may have been 1-2 other people who have had lyme disease and candida in the past.

-raster

cburke007
    Replies: 4

Hi Chris,

I don’t have Lyme, as far as I know. I have been bitten by ticks many times as a child in the woods of my grandparents farm in Kansas so I suppose it is possible. I have been fighting ?candida? for the last 3 years and still feel like I am fighting for my life many days. I put the question marks around candida because based on my symptoms it is the only thing that makes sense, but according to all blood/stool tests, including the Metametrix gut labs, the only thing I have proven is that I have low Lacto bacteria, and almost non-existent Bifido Bacteria. No yeast/bacteria/parasite pathogens showed up in significant quantities on any tests.

I can’t eat any kind of starch or sugar based products, natural or otherwise. Within a few hours of eating potatoes, brown rice, any kind of fruit (except green apples), etc. I start heading down hill with my symptoms (skin numbness, difficulty focusing, bloating), which happen to math the symptoms I get from anti-fungals and probiotics. It has taken me almost this entire year to work my way up from 1/4tsp of home fermented sauerkraut juice, to my current pro-biotic intake of 4bil CFU. The probiotics are the only thing that has gotten me from insane, actively damaging, constipation back to a reasonable, pain free regimen.

This differs from the auto-immune effects I get from eating gluten, dairy, caffeine, yeasts, a variety of vegetables, etc which are things like hives/skin rashes, elevated blood pressure, heart palpitations, panic attacks. Honey does double duty by giving me an immune reaction to the pollens AND “feeding” symptoms listed above.

Anyway, all that to say, the only way you are going to know for sure is by trying it. I was given Lactulose, along with Mannitol as part of the leaky gut challenge. I got my usual “feeding” side effects of skin numbness, difficulty focusing, bloating, etc from taking it. I ended up testing negative for leaky gut though, surprisingly.

Kudos to those of you in this thread that can eat starches and fruits. I agree with Raster that you are likely playing with fire, but if it is not giving you immediate fallout like it does me, then you may only be delaying your recovery. For me it is 2 steps forward and 4 steps back so out it goes. I subsist almost entirely on meats, non-starchy veg (primarily zucchini), almonds and stuff made from almond paste (paleo pancakes, yum) and water. That’s it, and it sucks… hard…

I am not saying that the link from the OP is wrong, but in my 3 years experience dealing with this, any site that claims they have the right answers for everyone, are 99% sure to be full of it and just lead to more harm than good. You have to experiment on yourself and determine what does and does not work for you based on how you feel. I will say, I know what she is talking about as when I gave up sugar I ran down with fatigue, had low blood sugar type symptoms, etc for about 2 weeks. Coconut oil, snacking on almonds, and occasionally eating 1/4 banana when I felt it coming helped me get through it. After that 2 weeks I snapped out of it and I started burning fat like it was going out of style. I came to find out later that it takes time for your body to stop producing so much insulin and convert from a carb burning furnace to a fat burning one. For me, coconut oil as my primary cooking agent has alleviated most symptoms I had from going sugar free.

Sorry for the long post. This is my first time posting on here so I have no history on here as a reference 🙂

Good luck everyone!

bouncygal
    Topics: 32
    Replies: 100

I’m not saying take my advice but this is my story,

GIVE ME SUGAR SUGAR SUGAR

Well i would have to say i made it aprox 6 months on the candida diet before i started to question myself whether the candida diet was the right path for my body, i got increasingly sicker and tired like never before,i always had a soft stool, i lost my muscle tone, couldn’t work & even lost my job mid way through, i wasn’t feeling better, the candida diet made me feel worse and i kept blaming the candida for it all. I believed so intently on no sugar, no fruit and all the other no,no,nos.

I didn’t care how sick i was getting i must be on the right path, something that made me feel this crappy surly would give me a HUGE reward! i kept telling myself and others
    I became a regular reader of this forum….

I went out one night about 3 weeks ago and saw this girl dancing, doing amazing energetic moves the way i used to be before the ‘candida diet’ so i jumped up and tried to bust out my regular dance tricks, but i couldn’t keep up, i was a granny at 24 i had lost my happiness and my ability to express myself though dance, i was changing, i was’sick’ girl. Before i had just had thrush, now i had thrush and i was the “sick” girl and this made me depressed.

Then one night i had pumpkin soup and i felt amazing its as if every part of me was smiling on the inside, it felt right and i tried a couple of more times, and then carrot,low sugar berries i started having energy thinking clearly,started to pass nice sold stools, exercising every day getting on with life and dancing again.

I say listen to the body and balance seems to work with life so why not the gut? Long term deprivation is not balance don’t fool yourself.

Now its not all doom and gloom for the candida diets roll in my life.
    During the candida diet i did get rid of my face pimples & my other skin condition. But maybe, just maybe this was because of cutting out gluten or dairy or even cutting out refined sugar and less to do with the candida diet in whole.

I cured wasn’t before i started, or after i finished, BUT i feel so much better now.I am introducing foods back slowly though just so i can find anything that might irritate me, because its obvious something was & is.

I will get better with balance, this is my new theory.
    I’m also eating smaller meals though out the day so my digestive system isn’t over loaded.
    I will have a sugar diet, but no refined stuff and i’m not going to overdo it on the fruit. Slowly and respectfully wins the race.

XXX BOUNCY

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Your body needs natural sugar!’ is closed to new replies.