Yogurt or Kefir stopping my progress

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Yogurt or Kefir stopping my progress

This topic contains 16 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  ICanDad 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

dvjorge
    Participant
    Topics: 283
    Replies: 1368

Hey guys,
    I don’t know which of them, if yogurt or kefir, but I stopped feeling the speed of my treatment after returning to these items in order to keep my weight and get better nutrition. If I have to chose one guilty, I will say it is Kefir, but not sure. Without them, I was feeling progress day by day. Not sure if I reached a plateau or what is happening. I will eliminate them for a week to see if the things change or not. Theoretically, they should be helping, or at least, no causing trouble.
    Some thoughts ??
    Thanks,
    Jorge.

Thomas
    Topics: 71
    Replies: 605

dvjorge wrote: Hey guys,
    I don’t know which of them, if yogurt or kefir, but I stopped feeling the speed of my treatment after returning to these items in order to keep my weight and get better nutrition. If I have to chose one guilty, I will say it is Kefir, but not sure. Without them, I was feeling progress day by day. Not sure if I reached a plateau or what is happening. I will eliminate them for a week to see if the things change or not. Theoretically, they should be helping, or at least, no causing trouble.
    Some thoughts ??
    Thanks,
    Jorge.

Hi Jorge,
    I would like to know about your shift of symptoms. How did you know your where progressing and what showed up to give you the impression that you are regressing?
    I too stopped now with milk products because I believe my leaky gut cant handle them yet. What are your symptoms and what was the shifting?

cheers
    Thomas

kirstyk4
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 125

Also, what kind of yogurt/kefir are you eating? How much are you eating and how much sugar are in both of them. Do you purchase your yougurt/kefir or make it yourself.

I just bought kefir grains and started making it myself. I haven’t had a chance to try any yet. The instructions said to let it do it’s thing for several batches before you eat any. Plus I wanted to wait a bit before I introducing it anyway. I hope the kefir doesn’t set me back progress wise too. πŸ™

I hope you figure out what is setting you back. We all understand how frustrating that can be to figure out.

Best of luck!!

Kirsty

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Hello, Jorge.
    I too am wondering what your symptoms were before they went away and then returned. And as Kirsty asked, can you tell us what type of kefir and yogurt you used; was it commercial or were you making both of these yourself?

One more question if I may; why do you think it was kefir instead of yogurt that caused the problem?

Thanks, Able

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

I know that the research claims that Candida do not feed on lactose. However … there is also research which shows that the Candida can adapt to foods that they do not normally feed on when there is a need. It’s also true the sugar lactose in both homemade or commercially made kefir and yogurt can remain behind after either is fermented, if the substance is not fermented long enough. Unfortunately this is often the case with both commercial as well as homemade fermented foods. If enough of the lactose is leftover in either product after fermenting, it stands to reason that the Candida, if starving, would be able to adapt to the lactose as a food source.

β€œThe patterns of growth and reproduction of starved control groups of
    Candida as well as those fed the test fungi demonstrate the adaptability
    of this species to changes in the quality and quantity of available food.”

Research source: Dept. of Biological Sciences, Wolfson Ecology Laboratory, University of Exeter, United Kingdom

Able

dvjorge
    Participant

I don’t doubt this monster feeds with lactose ” in vivo “. I am using them because people have reported good progress. I have bought Cabot Greek yogurt (plain) with 7 g of sugar and Kefir is Lifeway (plain) with 12 g of sugar.
    Thanks.
    Jorge

Himawari
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 65

Able900 wrote: If enough of the lactose is leftover in either product after fermenting, it stands to reason that the Candida, if starving, would be able to adapt to the lactose as a food source.

If this is the case, is it better when making kefir from grains to let it sit for longer… 36-48 hours rather than 12-24? (the logic of course being that the extra fermentation would use up more of the milk sugars)

kirstyk4

That is what I try to do with my yogurt and kefir. I’ve been making yogurt for over a week now. I let it “cook” for over 24 hours. My husband describes it as very tangy. The first couple batches I did 12-18 hours and tried one spooonful and thought it tasted very sweet. After that I let it cook longer.

The only downside to making your own yogurt/kefir is that you do not know how much sugar is left. So when you try to keep track of how much sugar you eat, you have no way of really knowing.

Also…it can be rather time consuming but is much cheaper! πŸ™‚

Kirsty

ICanDad
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 19

dvjorge,

I read you posted on curezone one year ago that you’ve consumed 150 liter of kefir over the last two years. Did you have the same problem back then?

dvjorge
    Participant

ICanDad wrote: dvjorge,

I read you posted on curezone one year ago that you’ve consumed 150 liter of kefir over the last two years. Did you have the same problem back then?

I don’t feel I react to Kefir or yogurt as an allergen (lactose or casein) Neither in the past nor now. What I feel is I can not make progress until using them.
    Jorge.

ICanDad
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 19

First, I am just a newbie in this area so just take what it’s worth.

Like others have already suggested, the sugar content maybe the problem.
    Secondly, I am highly skeptical about the probiotics content in the drink. From the paper I have read, the number of probiotics could drop 100 times after 15 days with refrigeration.

Putting these two pieces together, I think it has a high chance that the benefit (# of probiotics) cannot outweigh the problem (sugar) for us to consume store brought kefir.

Someone in curezone also suggests put the store brought kefir in the fridge for 2 weeks before consumption so the secondary fermentation will reduce the sugar content, but I doubt it will make a significant difference.

If I were you, I will definitely conduct an experiment with homemade kefir. Try to see how your body react to different type of kefirs (cow, goat, coconut), fermentation time…etc.
    At least, you will then have more information to evaluate the effect of kefir to your treatment.

From all the posts I have read so far, I believe kefir could be one of the keys in the treatment.

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

There are guidelines for introducing commercially produced kefir in the protocol. I’d be surprised if you could even find organic, so you’d be crazy to start with it instead of making your own. It’s fairly cheap to acquire some grains, so even if you can’t end up using it, your loses would be less than a fortnight’s supply of sugar-laden, gut-busting commercial stuff. I just wish goat’s or sheep’s milk was more widely available (and therefore cheaper) in the UK.

Lucylu
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 345

I’m very disapointed with your thoughts on the Kefir, Jazivy!! I for one don’t have time to be making homemade Kefir and I see others have struggled to make it in colder climates. So I’m going to have to stick with the sugar laden, gut busting commercial stuff!!

Able, what do you think? The kefir I buy has 4g carbs in 100g and I drink 380g per day.

kirstyk4

I guess it really depends on what we have availabe. The only kefir I was able to find also had 12 g sugar per serving. I live in a smaller town with a health food store that sells it for about 8 dollars per small bottle. It is MUCH cheaper to make it myself.

As I am already making yogurt, I find making kefir much easier. If it wasn’t for the fact that I have a warmer for my yogurt going, I would have a difficult time making the kefir as well. We don’t normally keep our heat high enough to have good batches of kefir. I set my kefir next to my yogurt maker and it keeps it at a good range for making kefir.

I’m about to introduce some kefir and I hope to see that it helps my progress rather than hurts it.

Only time will tell…

Kirsty

Lucylu
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 345

If I had the time & energy, Kirsty, I’d definitely try making it. i love a project! But I’ve found it in Polish stores in large tubs for just 80c so I figure that’s well worth the time saving! also I’ve struggled to get things shipped here and when I did look for the Kefir grains I wasn’t getting anywhere fast.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Yogurt or Kefir stopping my progress’ is closed to new replies.