Yoghurts….How much can I have?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Yoghurts….How much can I have?

This topic contains 17 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  johnny22 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

chrisuk
    Topics: 17
    Replies: 9

Morning everyone

Regarding Pro-biotic yoghurt I assume I can have this during stage one?, if so how much should I limit myself to?

I’m on my 2nd day of detox.

Drinking lots of water and green teas, for dinner last night I had a mixed fish dish similar to the recipes on the site.

cheers

BenjiRixon
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 54

i do half a large pot of it a day as im also taking threelac for probiotics but once ive run out of them ill be having 1 large (1 litre) pot a day. dont think theres such a thing as too much probiotics?? but dunno?

wouldnt go more than one large pot split over the day as your body probably cant use all the probiotics and it might give you bad guts.

hope this helps

benji

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Hello, Benji.
    Do you make your own ‘probiotic yogurt’? If so, would you mnd sharing your recipe?

Thanks, Able

BenjiRixon

Able900 wrote: Do you make your own ‘probiotic yogurt’?

i wish i could lol ! i just buy is Rachels fat free, organic natural probiotic yougurt. The one i buy is about £1.40 for a 500g pot but i usually buy the 1kg pot expensive than others but at least i know whats in it and can trust the brand.

Benji

phil1
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 11

Can anyone explain to me in simple terms why probiotic yoghurt is allowed in stage 1.

I’m still on stage 1 and would love some yoghurt but the minimum sugar I can find per 100g is 7g, which is way higher than lots of foods on the stage 1 ‘banned’ list (like strawberries etc). Half a medium sized pot would have the sugar of a banana.

even the lowest sugar versions have an orange stamp for sugar content in our UK supermarkets which means ‘caution’.

Is the thinking here just that the benefits of the probiotic element outweighs the negative impact of taking on a fair amount of sugar?

I’m finding it hard to know why certain things are allowed when they seem to contain way more sugar than things that aren’t allowed.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

BenjiRixon

Hey Phil,

im from the UK aswell mate,

i think your looking at the wrong yougurts. you need to be looking for the natural yogurt. as stated above i use the brand “rachels” but you can even get tesco own/ asda own brand it doesnt matter as long as its plain natural with no flavours like strawberry bannana etc…..

what does matter is the ingredients which should just be milk and thats it and thats why its allowed on ALL STAGES of the diet coz theres nothing else in it and definately no sugar. if you still cant find it look for greek yogurt and again go for a plain one with no flavour and youll be fine.

Benji

phil1

BenjiRixon wrote: Hey Phil,

im from the UK aswell mate,

i think your looking at the wrong yougurts. you need to be looking for the natural yogurt. as stated above i use the brand “rachels” but you can even get tesco own/ asda own brand it doesnt matter as long as its plain natural with no flavours like strawberry bannana etc…..

what does matter is the ingredients which should just be milk and thats it and thats why its allowed on ALL STAGES of the diet coz theres nothing else in it and definately no sugar. if you still cant find it look for greek yogurt and again go for a plain one with no flavour and youll be fine.

Benji

Hi mate – I’ve looked into those yoghurts and they look like they have 5g of natural sugar per 100g for the greek one. So eating half a medium tub would be more sugar than most of the fruits banned in stage 1. There is no artificial sugar in them, but there is plenty of natural sugar.

Here is the nutrition information where you can see the 5g sugar:
    http://www.rachelsorganic.co.uk/product-range/greek-yoghurt/greek-style-natural-yogurt

I just need someone to explain to me why yoghurt is allowed when it has quite a lot of natural sugar in it compared to foods that are banned.

Cheers

Able900
    Spectator

Hello, Phil.

Actually, it’s better to not eat yogurt of any type for at least two weeks after starting the treatment. Benji is right about the type; if you can find what he uses, that’s best, but if not the non-sweetened organic Greek yogurt is fine.
    The reason that organic yogurt is allowed after a few weeks of the treatment is because of the beneficial bacteria that it contains. The bacteria will be the most important part of your treatment in the long run. Once you’ve been on the diet for a while, you can add a probiotic supplement (in capsule form) to your regimen as well.

Just try to limit the yogurt to a small amount when you first start it, then you can raise it to a higher amount very slowly. Watch for Candida-symptom reactions as some people receive them in the beginning from the Yogurt, especially if it has 5 or more grams of sugar. If you receive a reaction, simply wait a week to ten days and try it again.

In your post you asked why certain things are allowed when they seem to contain way more sugar than things that aren’t allowed. What other items are you speaking of, may I can help you with an explanation.

Let us know if you have other questions.
    Able

phil1

Hi Able,

I’m on week 7 of the strict part of the diet and already on probiotic pills so I think I’ll start on the yoghurt a small amount at a time. I was confused as to why we are allowed this product as its relatively high in sugar but it sounds like it is thought that the benefit of the bacteria outweighs the negative of the sugar.

Able900
    Spectator

phil1 wrote: I’m on week 7 of the strict part of the diet and already on probiotic pills so I think I’ll start on the yoghurt a small amount at a time. I was confused as to why we are allowed this product as its relatively high in sugar but it sounds like it is thought that the benefit of the bacteria outweighs the negative of the sugar.

Hello, Phil.

You’re right about the benefits of yogurt outweighing the negative aspects of sugar and even dairy.
    Be sure to purchase only the organic non-sweetened Greek yogurt. This should contain no more than nine grams of sugar per serving. Two excellent brands are Oiko’s and Fage.

If you’ve not had it before starting your treatment, I would start with only about three teaspoons in the beginning. Wait 48 hours before having more to see if you have a reaction to it. If not, you could eat this amount for perhaps two or three days, then slowly add another serving each day of a few more spoonfuls. Watch for Candida reactions and if you receive any at all, wait at least a week before trying it again.

Able

1 user thanked author for this post.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

As long as you keep your sugar intake to less than 25g a day, then do not worry. This is like 1/4-1/2 of a green apple, small cup of blueberries, one fig, etc.

The dairy is the main thing you should worry about and the greek yogurt doesn’t seem be in this category for some reason.

Able900
    Spectator

raster wrote: As long as you keep your sugar intake to less than 25g a day, then do not worry. This is like 1/4-1/2 of a green apple, small cup of blueberries, one fig, etc.

I hate repeating myself constantly, but Raster, as I’ve told you before, out of the 26 most popular fruits, figs rank number three for the highest sugar content. They shouldn’t be eaten at all if Candida is present. The lowest are cantaloupe, peaches, and nectarines, with apricots as the lowest. Considering this fact, it might be beneficial if you’d stop telling posters that they can eat this fruit.

Able

1 user thanked author for this post.

monita
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 28

Aaaarrgh. I have been on stage 1 for coming up to three weeks now but have been having Natural Greek yogurt in small quantities a couple of time a week since the beginning.

Do you think this has hampered my progress through stage 1?

Able900
    Spectator

The benefits of yogurt usually outweigh the negative aspects of the small amount of sugar and even dairy in non-sweetened organic Greek yogurt. Purchase an organic non-sweetened Greek yogurt which should contain no more than nine grams of sugar per serving.

If you make your own kefir, you can ferment it longer than normal thus reducing the sugar amount substantially because the longer it ferments the less sugar remains behind. This way, you can eat less yogurt and more kefir. You can also make homemade yogurt by the way.

If you would feel better about the yogurt, you could stop eating it for about a week to remove it all from your system. Then, start back with three bites the first and second day, and raise it slowing after that. I’d stay on just one serving a day eventually until another month or so on the diet.
    If you believe that your treatment has been hampered in some way, you can describe exactly what you’re eating, including all condiments as well as the supplements your taking so that we can take a look.

Able

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I just use the comparison of sugars found in food to show you what 25g of sugar looks like. I am not condoning the use of figs, I am just using it in my comparison.

This is more what I am talking about:

http://www.sugarstacks.com/fruits.htm

20g of sugar in about 15 grapes
    13g of sugar in a slice of cantelope
    23g of sugar in one small navel orange
    23g of sugar in one red apple

If you keep it below 25g a day then you are doing ok. I try to keep my use below 15g a day personally. It’s all about moderation after doing the diet a few weeks or a few months.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Yoghurts….How much can I have?’ is closed to new replies.