Xanthan Gum (and similar emulsifiers)

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Xanthan Gum (and similar emulsifiers)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  raster 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

EthanT
    Participant
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 17

As we all know, we’re supposed to avoid Cow’s milk on “The Diet”.  For other reasons, I already switched to Hemp Milk, Almond Milk and recently Coconut Milk.  I just like them better and like that I can get versions with 0 grams of sugar.

Then, I came across this:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2015/03/18/food-additives-crohns-disease-colitis.aspx

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25731162

Indeed, a new animal study revealed that emulsifiers, which are “detergent-like molecules,” impact mouse gut microbiota, induce low-grade inflammation and metabolic syndrome and promote “robust” colitis in mice predisposed to the disorder.

The researchers concluded:“… the broad use of emulsifying agents might be contributing to an increased societal incidence of obesity/metabolic syndrome and other chronic inflammatory diseases.”

The emulsifiers used in the study were carboxymethylcellulose and polysorbate-80. Similar emulsifiers include lecithin, carrageenan, polyglycerols, and xanthan gum.

As far as I can tell, ALL of these alternative milks have one or another kind of these emulsifiers in them.

Of course, this also appears to be the first study of its kind, so I guess it could just as easily be refuted as confirmed, going forward.

However, if these emulsifiers cause only gut inflammation, I’m wondering if folks with a Candida overgrowth should be wary of over-consumption (daily?).  Indeed, since many who have a Candida overgrowth reportedly have weakened immune symptoms, maybe we are even more predisposed than the average person to the more serious outcome of UC or Crohn’s mentioned in the study.

Anybody else have any thoughts on this?  Heard of this before?  A bit unsettling as the last thing somebody needs with Candida is to be paranoid about yet more food we maybe shouldn’t be eating!

Percyfaith
    Participant
    Topics: 28
    Replies: 58

I try and eat real ‘unprocessed’ food pretty much Paleo avoiding most grains and dairy. Just lately for convenience I have been using WF 365 brand Almond Milk, and commercially it is pretty clean but am going to switch back to making my own. It’s fairly easy and I know what’s in it. It is a little hard to find a good organic Almond source -that’s why I planted an Almond tree a  year ago- no almonds yet but using organic care to grow it.

These are the instructions I use to make Homemade almond Milk and I usually make 1/2 c Almonds and use 1 1/2 c filtered water and I only use one or 2 medjool dates  to keep the sugars down.

http://frugallysustainable.com/2012/08/how-to-make-homemade-almond-milk/

Hope this helps someone

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Make your own stuff if possible.  As far as xantham gum, I use about 2 teaspoons in a loaf of bread and eat the bread throughout the week, so its not that much daily.  I eat this teff bread to bulk up and gain weight, that is my goal!

-raster

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Xanthan Gum (and similar emulsifiers)’ is closed to new replies.