Why not Agave?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Why not Agave?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Spooky 8 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

lbkio897
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 10

Does anyone know why we can’t use agave as an alternative to sugar? I have tried using Stevia and I think it tastes horrible. It has a bitter aftertaste. Does anyone have an alternative sweetener they recommend?

Thanks,
    Brandi

hothook
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 8

Hi, I agree with you about the stevia, I don’t like the taste either.
    I think that the sugars in agave are absorbed by the body and therefore not suitable for a candida diet.

What I’ve ordered is yacon. It’s from the tuberous roots of a plant and the sugars it produces are not absorbed and are also prebiotic so they feed the good bacteria in the gut. I’s quite expensive but I don’t care, I’m so desperate to have something a bit sweet! I just hope it tastes good!

Hope this helps.
    Debbi

lbkio897

Great! Thanks for the tip Debbi. I just noticed on one of the other posts that someone mentioned Xylitol but it sounds like Yacon might be better if it’s a prebiotic. I’ll order some myself. Thanks again.

-Brandi

hothook
    Replies: 8

I forgot about xylitol! It will give a proper sugary flavour. I don’t know what the yacon tastes like yet but I hope it’s good!

Good luck!

Oh_Wicked_Waiting
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 3

I have heard about yacon you are talking about but not where to get it, I will be interested in your opion. I have been using Xylitol, which I like much better then stevia and I found some interesting dental and medical benefits to Xylitol on this website: http://www.xylitol.org/dental-benefits-of-xylitol

Have a look it’s really cool, I may never go back to sugar even after I am done with this mess. I am working on a recipe for cinamon rolls using candida friendly ingredients will let you know how that goes! I am really wanting my sweets too!

lbkio897

Well, I just ordered Yacon syrup. I can’t wait to try it. I read online that it tastes like apples. I did some research on Xylitol and I’ve seen some reviews that say that it doesn’t taste good. Then I came across one site that said it depends on what type of Xylitol you order. Which site did you order the xylitol from? Have you tried the gum or candy? What does it taste like?

-Brandi

lbkio897

Well, I just received the Yacon syrup in the mail. I tasted it and it tastes great! It looks and tastes like molasses. I can’t wait to start making recipes!

-Brandi

Spooky
    Replies: 3

I’ve heard that Yacon has too many carbs…not sure if it’s suitable for candida diet
    I use Erythritol…But I am not sure if it’s safe …

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Why not Agave?’ is closed to new replies.