What to eat camping?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions What to eat camping?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  alexalgebra 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Crystal F
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 0

Hi everyone!

I’m leaving in a week to work on an organic cherry orchard. Because of the location, I’m going to spend the whole time camping, which will be for 2 months. The only refrigeration I may have there would be a cooler, so it makes eating as I would at home a bit more difficult. There is a bus that goes into town from the farm, so I do have fairly easy access to food. I’m still very new with the Candida diet, I’ve only been on it for about a month and a half so I’m still learning how to feed myself differently. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what I could eat, snacks or meals, while I’m camping?

Thanks so much!

LeAnn T.
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 2

I know this is late, but I have some ideas for anyone camping while on this diet. I went camping, and it worked out pretty well for me.

Hobo dinners can be changed around to make it Candida Diet friendly. Take 2 sheets of foil and lay them out crisscross, place a few cabbage leaves on the center for your first layer, add fish or any other meat you can eat in the center of that, then add chopped veggies. Season and wrap everything up tightly in the foil, then place on hot coals for about 10 minutes on each side (or until done). You can pull it out of the fire pretty easily with a pie-maker pan.

Breakfasts could include gluten/chemical free pancakes made over the fire (in a pie-maker), or plain brown rice cakes crushed in a bowl with cinnamon, stevia, and almond milk (like cereal).

And last but not least, popcorn (depending on what phase you are on). If you take olive oil and line the bottom of a campfire-safe pan, pour in enough popcorn to mostly line the bottom, cover with foil, and hold it over the fire, shaking the pan (to stop from burning) until it finishes popping. This can take a while. Add salt and a touch more olive oil for flavor.

Lunches were the hardest for me. I know this was too late to help you out this time, but maybe it will help with the next.

tmi
    Topics: 13
    Replies: 34

Bumping up this super old thread. I’m thinking of going camping this week end and I’d like some ideas on what to bring. I’ve been on the candida diet for about 8 weeks and would like to stick to it while camping. What food did you bring? Looking for some easy ideas. Thanks.

alexalgebra
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 643

I would pre-bake some things like granola, buckwheat biscuits/muffins, and/or coconut bread, depending on how long you’re going to be out for. You can snack on raw veggies, too, and bring some veggies to cook. I guess it depends on how long and what kind of camping you’re doing. If you’re backpacking, um…it might suck pretty bad, but if you’re going to a campsite and can pack up the car and have a cooler, well, things might be a lot easier.

Also, totally bring a jar of coconut manna/coconut butter to snack on. If it’s warm out, it will naturally start to melt a little bit and be easy to spoon bites from when you get hungry.

1533jd
    Topics: 46
    Replies: 112

Cultured vegetables will be easy to make!

serenedream
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 84

alexalgebra;39141 wrote: I would pre-bake some things like granola, buckwheat biscuits/muffins, and/or coconut bread, depending on how long you’re going to be out for. You can snack on raw veggies, too, and bring some veggies to cook. I guess it depends on how long and what kind of camping you’re doing. If you’re backpacking, um…it might suck pretty bad, but if you’re going to a campsite and can pack up the car and have a cooler, well, things might be a lot easier.

Also, totally bring a jar of coconut manna/coconut butter to snack on. If it’s warm out, it will naturally start to melt a little bit and be easy to spoon bites from when you get hungry.

Hi Alex, how do you make your granola? I have been brainstorming how to make to add to my yogurt. Thanks!

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

When I went camping last summer I made salads and put them in tupperware containers. I also brought some cheat items that I won’t mention. You can make buckwheat or oat bran pretty easily, the main thing to worry about is cleaning it up or the heat source. If you can make the breads once a week, this should go a long way in helping you out. Chicken sausage is something you can easily cook with a campfire.

-raster

alexalgebra
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 643

For my granola, I mix 2 cups of oat bran, 1 cup of raw buckwheat or kasha (whatever I feel like getting), and however much hemp seeds I feel like adding in…usually 3/4 cup or so, and same with shredded coconut. So basically, put in whatever you want…this is going to make up the bulk of the granola.

Then, I put in a tiny bit of non-alcohol vanilla extract, maybe a few drops, a ton of cinnamon and ginger powder (sorry, I really don’t measure anything when I cook!), and at least 3 spoons but probably more of melted coconut manna/butter. I also put in about 1/4 cup of coconut oil.

I bake it at 250 degrees for 30-40 minutes, stirring every 10 until it gets brown and seems “done”.

You honestly can’t screw it up unless you cook it so hot it burns or something…but otherwise, it’s pretty much up to you what you want in it and how much you want to make.

That amount up there is probably somewhere around a quart and a half? (One big jar and one smaller jar)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘What to eat camping?’ is closed to new replies.