What Did You Eat Today? (food ideas!!!)

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions What Did You Eat Today? (food ideas!!!)

This topic contains 26 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Pina 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Hope
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 187

Hey, everyone 🙂

Well, I never got around to posting any recipes this weekend, did I? One of my daughters came down with a fever, sore throat, and ear pain 🙁 Not a lot of extra time. However…

I have another little idea 🙂 I thought it would be fun if we all kind of chimed in together and posted on this thread tomorrow (Monday EST) night what we had eaten throughout that day. Days later in the week are fine, too, of course. The general idea behind it is just to give one another some new food ideas and, if possible, a recipe or two for something you ate that day. I’m sure it would also be helpful for those struggling to stick to their diets. Publishing your day’s eating for all of us to see might be *extra* motivating 🙂

I’ll plan on writing down what I’m eating, starting at breakfast tomorrow, and I’ll share it with you all on Monday night. I’d love it if some others could do the same 🙂 A new recipe or meal idea would be great!

Katy Gillett
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 137

I like this idea!:). I’m desperate for ideas, particularly of the veggie variety (though I’m not explicitly veggie for the time being).

It’s weird though, as a side note, I must have been depriving myself during the veggy years of omega 3s or something because I’m loving the fish right now!

So last night I had a yummy dinner which I recommend:

Brown rice with scrambled eggs (a little garlic) and tuna. I also added a little brown rice vinegar (ingredients say it is made purely from organic brown rice so I’m trusting that), salt and pepper.

Tasty!

NLFM
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 10

Great idea – I’m already blogging recipe ideas. I’m having fun being creative with cooking. Check out http://newlifeforme2011.blogspot.com.

Hope

OK – well, today went far differently than I had originally planned. Monday is grocery day around here, so the pickins were slim this morning. I never got to the grocery, either, because my 9 yo daughter had a slight fever and was on the couch sick all day :/ She’s a bit better now, so that’s good. But, there’s precious little food (that I can eat) in the house!

Here’s what I came up with…

BREAKFAST: I sauteed some fresh (but quickly wilting) spinach and some frozen asparagus spears in olive oil and then cooked two eggs on top of the veggies in the same skillet. I covered the skillet, so the eggs cooked. Seasoned the top w/ a little garlic powder, salt, and paprika just for “prettiness” 🙂 Drank 8 oz. of hot nettle tea.

LUNCH: This one is VERY weird and I don’t think I’ll do it again, although it was at least edible. I blended *roughly* (I don’t really measure stuff out) 1/3 C. sunflower seeds, 1/4 C. fresh lemon juice, 1/3 C. extra virgin olive oil, a few dashes of onion powder, garlic powder, ground plain mustard, sea salt, and about 1/2 tsp. dried parsley until it made a kind of paste. Then I added a little water until it lightened up to a spreadable consistency. Kind of weird tasting, but kind of creamy. I mixed all of that in to a can of Trader Joe’s albacore tuna to make a kind of tuna salad w/o mayo. I tried to eat it on this flaxseed bread I tried over the weekend, but I just really do *not* care for the taste of that bread, so I scraped the tuna salad off and ate it out of the bowl. I also ate some fresh red peppers strips and cucumber slices. Drank water.

I munched on a couple of macadamia/carob truffle balls (they’re small) in the early afternoon. They were in my freezer.

AFTERNOON SNACK: I rummaged around in my freezer and found a bag of sturfry veggies. I picked most of the carrots and all of the mushrooms out, then cooked about 3/4 of the bag in some Trader Joe’s organic chicken broth just until the veggies weren’t frozen any more. They were still crisp. So, it was a soup but a crispy soup. I added sea salt.

DINNER: Totally piecemeal and not my favorite way to end the day foodwise, but it did the trick, I guess. Around 6pm, I ate a portion of Trader Joe’s turkey kielbasa that I heated up in the microwave. No good veggie options left… nothing to steam up. Hate it when I run out of salad greens! Then, running errands around 7pm, I stopped by the health food store and got a Naked brand coconut water and some nice, raw almonds to munch while I drove (technically they should be soaked, but I don’t do that). Later on, around 9 maybe, I ate some Trader Joe’s herbed turkey breast slices wrapped around slices of avocado (about 1/3 of an avocado).

I drank about 3/4 of a gallon of water so far, too. I may get close to finishing it up here in the next hour or so.

That’s it! Super inspirational, huh? Hopefully, I’ll be able to get to the grocery store tomorrow and at least get some produce.

Whatabout you all?

NLFM
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 10

Today I made a vegie frittata – onion, garlic, spinach, salt, grated zuchinni and add beaten eggs into a pan, brown one side and put the frying pan under the grill for a few minutes to brown. I put some avocado and lemon olive oil on top for added tang. Yum!

veg2
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 27

(I’m also still working on setting up the blog for recipes) Got it started, but need to put stuff on it.
    Anyway, I had a brown rice cake w a little neufchatel cheese and cinnamon on top on the way to work. Then once I got settled in for a real breakfast I had some rice pudding, (cup of brown rice, some coconut milk, egg, truvia/cinnamon, chopped nuts)
    I had a couple almond butter cookies in there somewhere. Can of Amy’s vegetable soup for lunch (kind of an emergency keep on hand food for when I don’t prep enough food).
    I drank like 4 liters of water at work, and some zingiber/coconut tea from Teavana, delicious. At home I think I had another rice cake since I was pretty hungry right away, then made an omelet w spinach, black beans, tomatos, avocado on top, some neufchatel, spicy salsa, cayenne pepper, cooked w coconut oil.
    Kind of a lazy day, didn’t have a lot prepped.
    oh -almond butter cookies, (since my blog is taking me longer than expected)
    6 oz almond butter
    1 tsp aluminum free baking powder
    1/2 cp butter
    1 cp stevia/xylitol/truvia
    1 tsp cinnamon*
    1 tsp ginger spice*
    1/2 cup coconut oil
    1 3/4 cups coconut flour
    1 egg
    form into small balls, cook 400 degrees about 10 min
    *optional

I tweak this recipe as sometimes they cookies can be dry/crumbly, this time I used 2/3 almond butter (the kind you grind yourself) 1/3 cashew butter (a jar brand, with some kind of oil) I know it’s best to have the grind yourself kind but I think this made the cookeis more moist. I added some dry unsweetend coconut to the tops of some of the cookies and carob chips to some. I think I actually like the “plain” ones best though. They are small and dense w the coconut flour, so it’s nice to have on hand if I need a snack quick or to satisy my sweet tooth. My sugar cravings are gone, but I just like comfort treats like hot tea and a little cookie anyway.

Oh, I also had a couple “chocolates” yesterday, I melted a 100% dark chocolate baking cocoa bar and added some xylitol, coconut oil, milk, until it tasted good then dumped in an ice cube tray. Just nice to have little treats on hand. Espeically now that it’s getting warmer! I’ve made iced chai, but does anyone have any other good cold drink recipes? Sometimes water gets boring. Maybe I’ll try some homemade lemonade/limeade.

Hope

Thanks for the cookie recipe! 🙂 Sounds yummy.

I was just wondering – what week are you on, Veg2? Seems like you’ve reintrodued some foods that are off-limits in Stage 1 (chocolate, neufchatel, beans). I haven’t been able to find carob chips that are 100% a-okay for Stage 1, either. Would you mind sharing the product info with us?

Thanks!

Hope

Oh, and on the cold drinks – sometimes I make a quart of herbal tea (I’m using nettle for pregnancy reasons) in the evening and then let it cool a bit and pop it in the fridge. Then, the next day, I have yummy iced tea to enjoy with meals 🙂

veg2
    Replies: 27

hi,
    I’m on week 7. When I first went to the herbalist he found that I had candida and a parasite, so the first month was with the goal of getting rid of that. I mostly try to stick with stage one from this website but his restrictions are a little less restrictive, so that’s why there might be an odd item here and there. When I go for follow up in a week, hopefully I can move on to less restrictions still…

Today, my stomach was bugging me so I had two brown rice cakes in the am with a little neufchatel and cashew butter. Later a couple small almond cookies, mid morning.
    Went and grabbed a little veggie snack thing at the store at lunch; some celery, carrots, almond butter. Also had some greek yogurt.

For dinner I took a small blue corn tortilla, put some black bean dip on top, then a can of albacore, added some sea salt, cayenne pepper, almond cheese, and avocado and put under the broiler. Then put the little tostada type thing on a bed of spinach-drizzled with olive oil, and a little salsa.

thanks for the iced tea tip, I should pick up some pitchers for iced tea and iced chais. Not used to making my own beverages, but the whole thing’s a learning process!

June
    Replies: 2

Now that summer is finally here, I’ve been squeezing lemons and limes to make lemonade (or limeade – or a combination) and adding powdered stevia to sweeten (again, like others have said less is more). It’s great and tastes like the real thing.

Hope

Nummy! Your blue corn tortilla thing sounds so good! 🙂 Week 7 makes sense – how are you feeling? Did you have a specific week/time that you really felt like your symptoms decreased in a sudden, noticeable way?

I didn’t get to the grocery until this evening. But, my *loving* hubby did pick up some snowpeas and spring water for me on his lunch hour and brought them home 🙂

BREAKFAST: For breakfast, I sauteed the last of my shaggy looking spinach in olive oil and added 2 beaten eggs. I let it cook on the stovetop until the edges are done and then finish it off in the oven on the “broil” setting until the top is golden. A frittata 🙂 Pretty much like veg2 explained ^ earlier. Had nettle tea. Oh, and before breakfast, as I was getting my children settled and wiping the kitchen u a bit, I ate a handful of raw almonds.

LUNCH: Lunch was waaaaaay too late, and my blood sugar was rapidly falling. (I tend to have low blood sugar, but I’m not technically hypoglycemic.) I had taken some organic ground beef from Trader Joe’s out of the freezer last night, so I grilled 3 good sized burgers with it. Sounds easy, but it took FOREVER and I was hungry! I ate 2 of the burgers with guacamole on top. This is one of my favorite lunches 🙂 I also ate a side of crispy snowpeas. Just like french fries, right? Ha. Anyway, if anyone would like to try the guacamole on top of a burger, here’s my favorite way to make guac:

Mash an avocado
    add the juice from 1/2 a small lime
    add garlic powder and salt to taste
    add about a tablespoon of chopped fresh cilantro
    Mix 🙂

By the way, I’m growing my own cilantro, parsley, and basil. Cheap and easy ways to really perk up some of the foods we can have.

SNACK: I was mixing up part of a rather elaborate dessert I’m attempting for Friday night’s birthday party. This was the “coconut layer”. I nibbled on several tablespoons of the following and ate a handful of sunflower seeds a little later on.

About 1 C. shredded, unsweetened coconut
    1 can full-fat coconut milk (I use Thai Kitchen – red can)
    1/2-1 tsp. stevia (to taste)
    1 tsp. alcohol-free coconut flavoring
    about 1/2 c. coconut flour
    If it’s too runny to do anything with, you can put it in the fridge to firm. If it sits in the fridge for a long time, it will get really stiff and can almost be like a kind of coconut candy. Almost 🙂

DINNER: Our older girls were having a pizza party for their soccer team at the local pizza place. I ate a Trader Joe’s kielbasa (again) and some snowpeas (again) before we left. I mixed up some dressing in a tiny plastic container and took it with me, hoping there would be a decent salad option. There was, but it was mostly iceberg and probably had preservatives all over it. Oh, well.

Here’s the dressing:
    2 parts olive oil to 1 part lime juice (3:1 if you want less tartness)
    1/8 tsp garlic powder
    1/8 tsp onion powder
    1/4 tsp chili powder
    salt to taste

Tonight, I’m still working on that dessert recipe. I think it’ll be alright, but CUH-RAZY rich. In a not-so-good-way. At least I won’t be tempted to eat too much of it, right? So, I munched on parts of that. If it works out, I’ll share the recipe soon.

Hope y’all have a great day tomorrow!

Katy Gillett
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 137

Hi guys,

I’ve been having pretty simple meals lately but have put together a swede mash which I’m absolutely addicted to! Helps as I was totally addicted to mash potatoes before.

So just boil a swede (rutabaga in the US) and mash it
    Add organic butter and a dash of soya milk if you want
    Salt and Pepper

Also saute some diced onion and shredded cabbage in olive oil while the swede boils and then voila, mix that in with the mash. Honestly it’s so tasty! And a great side with steamed veggies.

Tara26
    Replies: 1

I’m a new member but i’ve done some research and i’m taking the Candida diet very seriously. I know it wasn’t today, however, lastnight, my husband and i cooked a great meal that even he and the kids liked. We grilled some turkey burgurs on the grill along with some asparagus. My husband and kids were aloud to eat buns on their burgurs but i just put some chopped up onion on mine and added a little salt and pepper to taste and ate it like a steak. Then we had fresh cut strawberries to add another side. It was great! The asparagus was delicious cooked on the grill. And the fresh strawberries were a great compliment for the summer time heat.
    Asparagus:
    Make like a little boat out of tin foil and lay the asparagus on top. Make sure you have enough foil to completely enclose the asparagus. Fold up the edges of the tinfoil so that no juices can get out. Add one Tablespoon of olive oil, a 1/4 of a cup of chopped up onion and a little sea salt and pepper, and 2 pads of organic or real butter. You can also add some fresh garlic or other spices depending on what you like. Close the edges of the tinfoil tightly so it’s completely enclosed and put on the grill for about 20 minutes or until tender on a medium flame. Sometimes the asparagus on the bottom come out a little dark but man are they good that way! But i guess that may just be my personal opinion. hehe

For breakfast i had about 4 eggs scrambled in coconut oil, and about a half cup of raspberries for a side.
    I snacked on some pecans and walnuts throughout the day.
    For lunch i cooked up some brown rice and added some sauteed fresh gralic, onions, broccoli and green beans. And a little sea salt and pepper. 🙂 I know it wasn’t filet mignon but each meal was very satisfying. 🙂

Hope

Katy, that rutabaga dish does sound really good! 🙂 I’ve never had “swedes”, I may have to try them soon.

Hi, Tara! I *love* grilled asparagus, too. Grilled zucchini tastes totally different than zucchini cooked any other way, as well. So tasty! What Stage of the diet are you in right now? The Stage 1 diet here on this website does not allow any fruit. I know both of your berry options are low-sugar fruits, so I’m assuming that either you’re on a different diet that allows them or you’re reintroducing foods at this point (?).

I could tell my body needed some grains today, so I ate Pocono Buckwheat Cereal (like grits) for breakfast and topped them with olive oil, a little pat of organic butter, garlic powder, chili powder, and sea salt. No eggs today 🙂

I made a tasty new food last night that I saved for lunch today. We had a zucchini, vidalia onion, garlic, basil chicken dish for dinner. Right after dinner I threw more onion and garlic in the skillet I used to make dinner. I added a little more olive oil and a bag of brussel sprouts that I destemmed and cut in halves. I added a little water, brought to a simmer, covered and cooked until the brussel sprouts wre cooked through. Then I added the leftover brown rice from dinner and mixed it all together, adding a little more garlic powder and salt. I also added uncooked olive oil before I ate it. I’ve been trying to teach myself to like brussel sprouts (they’re one of the very few veggies I don’t love) and this was good!

CTMike
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 5

Hello Hope,
    I was reading the “What did you eat today” post. At some point, I would like to add to this post, as I feel I’ve been coming up with some interesting things to eat. But for now, I was intrigued to read that you were eating turkey kielbasa. Prior to being on the diet, turkey kielbasa was something I would eat occasionally, but I also include in soups, such as a sort of Portuguese kale soup or a lentil or black bean soup. It would great to be able to use it again. I’ve been making a version of my Portuguese kale soup with stock, kale, onion, garlic, but no potato. I’ve put a small amount of red lentils in to cook down and thicken the soup a bit. Sometimes I have added some cooked chicken chunks. To make it a bit more flavorful, since I don’t have that nice kielbasa flavor, I’ve added some tumeric, basil and cumin.
    I’ll try to post a new topic to the forum today as well.
    Best wishes,
    Mike

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘What Did You Eat Today? (food ideas!!!)’ is closed to new replies.