Very Important: soak your oat bran! [with recipe]

Home The Candida Forum Foods & Recipe Ideas Breakfast Very Important: soak your oat bran! [with recipe]

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  shayfo 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

oh_livia
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 9

If you’re like me, on Stage One of the diet, you’re really enjoying your oat bran and kasha as some of the only things you eat to give you that satisfied feeling. I was cooking them normally until I realized how critical it is to soak them before hand! For oat bran especially, continued consumption over time can actually harm your digestive tract and encourage things like IBS. There is a lot of phytates (aka anti-nutrients) in oat bran, which inhibit calcium and other nutrients from getting absorbed in your intestines. Furthermore, it has gluten, which is very difficult to digest. Don’t be alarmed, oat bran is still incredibly beneficial to gut bacteria and eliminating candida, you just have to soak it first!

Method:
    -combine oat bran with at least 1 tbs of kasha or buckwheat flour (this encourages more pre-digestion of the bad stuff)
    -add at least 1 tbs of kefir, apple cider vinegar, or lemon juice (it needs an acedic agent). I like to soak mine in just kefir for a nice creamy treat (though it may get more sour than you want).
    -fill the rest with water and let sit at room temperature 24 hours.
    -just add stevia, cinnamon, salt, and coconut oil to enjoy!

Kasha is easier on your digestive system and only needs to be soaked 7 hours.

different processes for soaking kasha, flours, beans, seeds, and nuts [be careful not to eat nuts, beans, and seeds unless you are far along on the diet]: http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/articles/foods18.php#a5

Benefits of oat bran:
    http://www.easyvigour.net.nz/diettoxin/hoatbranstory.htm

dforbreakfast
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 39

What if I’m allergic to buckwheat?

Sparrow542
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 2

-add at least 1 tbs of kefir, apple cider vinegar, or [h]lemon juice[/h] (it needs an acedic agent). I like to soak mine in just kefir for a nice creamy treat (though it may get more sour than you want).

So I thought I would try this with my oat bran. Should I have rinsed it through a mesh strainer before cooking the normal way or what? When I cooked it without rinsing, it tastes sour due to the lemon juice I used. Am I just supposed to get used to that flavor? What about soaking flour? Anyone know about that?

Oh_livia, what do you do? Do you rinse or not?

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

Oat bran only contains gluten as a result of the way it’s processed. I have a very sensitive gluten allergy, and I can eat oat bran if I buy the kind that is specifically gluten-free (Bob’s Red Mill sells it, and presumably other companies, too). Those oats are grown in separate fields and processed in separate facilities.

Soaking any grains/seeds/nuts/beans is good practice 🙂 especially if you have digestive issues. Good thread!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Very Important: soak your oat bran! [with recipe]’ is closed to new replies.