Vegetarian candida diet??

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Vegetarian candida diet??

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Able900 7 years ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Mama B
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 3

Hi
    Im new to this. Am on day 3 of the Cleanse and i am a bit concerned about what i can eat for my ptotein intake as the diet suggests not to eat beans, which are the main source of my protein intake. Could someone please advise me on what protein i can eat once i have finished the cleansing stage. Anymore information on candida diets for vegetarians would be most appreciated.
    Many thanks

Himawari
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 65

Hi Mama B,

If you’re vegetarian rather than vegan, eggs will be your main go-to. After a few weeks you can introduce dairy in the forms of kefir or greek yogurt as well. If you’re pescatarian, this’ll be easy, as there are many types of good low-mercury seafood to choose from.

Please reference Able900’s “Allowed Foods List” post:
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst1136_ALLOWED-FOODS-LIST.aspx

Mama B

thanks for your response. yes i am vegetarian and not vegan, however it still seems to me that relying on eggs as the only form of protein may be limiting. Is it not fine to have beans and pulses but limit them so say once or twice a week?

Himawari
    Replies: 65

The problem with beans is that they are quite starchy. Not as bad as, say, a potato perhaps, but still enough so that they’ll impede your progress. The general consensus on the forum is that soy is also something best avoided, as are nuts/seeds, and grains (buckwheat, millet, etc.) are test items and should be eaten somewhat sparingly, making being a vegetarian on this diet quite difficult. The kefir/yogurt should help, though.

One thing you could do if you have the patience is to try the diet for a while with beans and see if you experience die off and symptom reduction. It might be that while the beans slow your progress, they won’t prevent it entirely. The only problem with this is that it can take several weeks for your symptoms to get better even if you follow the diet strictly, so you might have to run this test for a while.

Able900, one the more knowledgeable members on the forum, often says that the protocol and acceptable foods list are suggestions, and ultimately you’re the one deciding what to eat and what vitamins to take. Unfortunately candida doesn’t clear up overnight (I’ve been hearing 6-18 months… I’ve been at it for 4 months, myself), so you’ll need to be able to pace yourself. If I were in your shoes, I might try introducing buckwheat, millet, and kefir shortly after finishing the cleanse (not all at once, if possible!) and avoid beans instead, as a dietary compromise. I also imagine that nuts and seeds (which are not recommended because of mold concerns) would slow your progress less than beans would. But as long as you’re seeing progress on your candida overgrowth, I personally think it’s better to fudge a little here and there if it’ll keep you on the wagon.

Downtown
    Replies: 39

thanks for your response. yes i am vegetarian and not vegan, however it still seems to me that relying on eggs as the only form of protein may be limiting. Is it not fine to have beans and pulses but limit them so say once or twice a week?

Like Himawari said, beans may be a better option for later into the diet as a test item once the candida have been weakened. If your worried about protein, eggs have about 6 grams per large egg. Greek yogurt has about 15 grams per 6 ounce serving. Even some of the vegetables like onion have small amounts of protein.

DT

Mama B

Thank you for your very useful comments guys ๐Ÿ™‚ Like you said, i think everyone is different and i think i am going to eat nuts and seeds, staying away from pistachios and peanuts and possibly cashews to start off with. THen at least i have 3 main sources of protein: pro-biotic yogurt, nuts etc adn eggs. I think i will include some beans/pulses but try and keep the quantity very low and probably stick to things like lentils, butter beans and mung beans for now. See how i get on.
    Thanks again for your feedback. All the best ๐Ÿ™‚

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

I think lentils would be the best option (if you can digest them). They have next to no sugar and much less starch (and much more protein) than beans. Ultimately, it depends on what you can tolerate and what allows you to progress, but avoiding starch never hurts. Tahini might be another thing to add if you can tolerate sesame.

I’ve also wondered if amino acid supplements like glutamine and carnitine (which help heal the gut) count towards protein intake. Anyone know how these add up?

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Javizy wrote: I’ve also wondered if amino acid supplements like glutamine and carnitine (which help heal the gut) count towards protein intake. Anyone know how these add up?

Good question, Javizy. Biologically speaking, amino acid supplements can work as a protein substitute, but of course common sense tells us that there would be no gratification as far as the specific type of energy production is concerned. One of the amino acid supplement brands thatโ€™s specifically geared towards this purpose is called MAP/SON Formula.

Actually a healthy liver can produce up to 60% of the amino acids we need, and this only leaves 40% that has to be supplied by the diet, so it would seem that a daily supplement could certainly help us reach that amount.

Able

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Vegetarian candida diet??’ is closed to new replies.