vaginal yeast infections – pads or tampons?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions vaginal yeast infections – pads or tampons?

This topic contains 30 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Choloe 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author

yisucks
    Participant
    Topics: 131
    Replies: 331

Hi all,

I have been on the strict diet since June/July. My reason for going on the diet is that 1 year ago, I took antibiotics which gave me a YI. This made sense, except that I had an almost constant YI for about 8 months straight until I went on the diet. When I was having problems pre diet, it seemed like I constantly had symptoms of yeast EXCEPT during my period when I felt better (I guess because the blood washed away the yeast? I don’t know). Now that I’m on my diet, it’s the exact opposite. I am nearly symptom free when I am not on my period (which is obviously the majority of the time) and have terrible itching DURING my period, which is new for me…literally as soon as blood starts down there, so does the itching. From what I’ve read on some sites (though they seem to conflict) is that yeast infections are less common during menstruation because of the ph of the blood, but I am wondering if maybe it is yeast. Unfortunately, I can’t get a YI dx’ed DURING my period because they need to look at the discharge.

Anyway- for the girls out there with vaginal YI problems, I am wondering if you all use tampons or pads. Do you find one to be better than the other—both for comfort during periods and also to prevent recurrent YIs? I have read that pads can be better, but I am wondering if these are irritating me. I am not sure. I am considering organic, cotton ones…but they are hard to find.

Would love to hear your opinions and experiences!

Jo*Jo
    Topics: 64
    Replies: 242

Since doing this diet I have only used organic tampons and havent had a problem with them. My YI has pretty much gone and I dont notice an increase in anything during my period but everyone is different. In your case the organic ones could really help you.

Angel29
    Participant
    Topics: 56
    Replies: 101

I use regular (unscented) tampons with a pantyliner; I never ever use pads. However I also have a menstrual cup that I’d like to use..but I haven’t figured out how to put it in, lol. Try putting coconut oil in your vagina..I do during my period and occasionally when I feel I have some itch. You can do it easily with a dropper. Coconut oil is also a good lubricant for sex.

yisucks
    Participant

That’s encouraging to hear you both are doing well w/ YI’s on the diet.

I actually use coconut oil in my vaginal area (including during my period) but I can also try to put some “up there.”

I’m also encouraged to hear you haven’t had a problem using tampons. Some sites say to avoid using tampons if you are prone to yeast infections. Maybe I’ll give the organic ones a try. I always found tampons much more comfortable than pads.

Have either of you experienced what I’m talking about before though? Is it common to have yeast infection symptoms flair up DURING menstruation, rather than right before mensturation (which I thought was much mroe common)?

Angel29
    Participant
    Topics: 56
    Replies: 101

I haven’t had any problems with tampons, but I think it’s still best to use the organic/unbleached ones, I just haven’t been able to find any yet. I spent like $25 on the “diva cup,” but I have no idea how to get that thing in there, lol. You’ve reminded me to start trying again.

I don’t remember WHEN in the month I’d get YIs but I’ve been getting them at least every other month for the past year or so. If it wasn’t YI, it was UTI…eventually it became a really painful sinus infection. Pay close attention to what you’re eating. During a family party I ate a ton of white rice (and took some home) and continued eating it for two more days and I noticed I started to itch down below…I quickly stopped the white rice before it turned into a full blown YI. The itching stopped immediately. Also, someone on here once mentioned dipping their tampon into coconut oil, then inserting it.

MichaelWinicki
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 6

I’m a guy so I can’t answer the pads or tampons question… But if you’re still suffering recurring problems, then do some research on the net and consider getting some complimentary supplements that are known for helping keep candida yeast issues under wraps. To suffer month after month with vaginal yeast problems just isn’t necessary.

yisucks
    Participant

Thank you all so much for your replies.

Michael– trust me, I have researched and been to every doctor under the sun! I am aware that suffering for months sucks and shouldn’t happen, but my current status is sadly an improvement from how I was doing months ago. I believe a lot of this is from the diet.

A YI once a month beats a YI every single day. Those antibiotics I took really did me in (I never had this problem before I did a weeks worth of antibiotics a year ago).

MichaelWinicki

yisucks;29974 wrote: Thank you all so much for your replies.

Michael– trust me, I have researched and been to every doctor under the sun! I am aware that suffering for months sucks and shouldn’t happen, but my current status is sadly an improvement from how I was doing months ago. I believe a lot of this is from the diet.

A YI once a month beats a YI every single day. Those antibiotics I took really did me in (I never had this problem before I did a weeks worth of antibiotics a year ago).

Yeah, doctors… Sigh.

I’ve heard similar stories at least as 1,000 times.

Again, considering support the diet with the right dietary supplements.

That will help provide additional support.

thenaturalchyc
    Replies: 1

hey hun, i use to suffer a lot with yeast infections. im so much better, i feel like a new woman. a few things: theres nothing wrong with wearing tampons, however they should be unscented as all your “down-there” products and you should change them every 2 hours, esp when you first start your period. this is so the yeast which loves moist dark places dont have time to multiply with your wearing a saturated tampons, which can also cause a bacterial infection. us women have a ridiculous amount of issues. anyway, the guy mentioned dietary supplements that may help…look up yefense supplements, they’ve been a tremendous help for me, and they’re natural. hope this helps!

emerrube
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 2

I see some people are trying to use the diva cup. I think it’s a great idea, but I had a hard time getting the thing out. It doesn’t work like the directions say too. My husband won’t let me use it anymore. ha, ha. But some people I know love it. I use cloth pads and those have helped me the most. Hope you figure it out. 🙂

MichaelWinicki

Probiotics that contain these two types of good bacteria (bacillus coagulans and enterococcus faecalis) seem to come highly recommended as a yeast fighter.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

MichaelWinicki;30071 wrote: Probiotics that contain these two types of good bacteria (bacillus coagulans and enterococcus faecalis) seem to come highly recommended as a yeast fighter.

And I would bet you, Mr. Winicki, that if I go to a search engine and key in the words “bacillus coagulans and enterococcus faecalis” the product I’d find is Threelac. I don’t suppose you would be the same Michael Winicki who owns websites all over the internet advertising Threelac, would you?

Quote from a Threelac website:
    © Copyright 2011. All rights reserved. Contact: Michael Winicki

Threelac doens’t work, I spent three months proving that to myself.

Able

MichaelWinicki

Able900;30088 wrote:

Probiotics that contain these two types of good bacteria (bacillus coagulans and enterococcus faecalis) seem to come highly recommended as a yeast fighter.

And I would bet you, Mr. Winicki, that if I go to a search engine and key in the words “bacillus coagulans and enterococcus faecalis” the product I’d find is Threelac. I don’t suppose you would be the same Michael Winicki who owns websites all over the internet advertising Threelac, would you?

Quote from a Threelac website:
    © Copyright 2011. All rights reserved. Contact: Michael Winicki

Threelac doens’t work, I spent three months proving that to myself.

Able

I think you’ll find there are several candida yeast fighters out there that have those same strains of bacteria such as:

Ultralac
    Symbion
    Candida Yeast Support

There’s a reason why.

kristyreal
    Replies: 7

yisucks;29932 wrote: I am wondering if you all use tampons or pads.

I had so many problems until I switched to cloth pads and the Lunette cup. I found out that most disposable feminine products are coated with cornstarch which will actually flare yeast in a big bad way. I don’t just advocate coconut oil, but I highly recommend Tropical Traditions virgin organic (gold label) coconut oil for everything (deodorant and toothpaste base, cooking, eating, lotion, medicinal balm base). It is the purest and highest quality I’ve found anywhere. I make a homemade lotion of coconut oil with Mountain Rose Herbs steam distilled tea tree essential oil and then apply it each time I go to the bathroom when I had a flare. It helped me and my daughter tremendously.

You can also try pressing raw garlic juice or organic ACV into a small bowl with some filtered water and dipping a cloth in the diluted garlic juice. Wipe with the diluted garlic juice or ACV to bring relief. Afterwards, coat with tea tree/coconut oil blend.

If you look at your diet, you might find something that is causing an issue. Since I’m allergic to corn, I know a lot about how food is processed – any ingredient that is used solely in the processing or packaging phase of food manufacture need not be listed on the ingredient label. This explains why no one is aware that there is cornstarch on organic chickens in cryovac packages, corn syrup on frozen fish, cornstarch on frozen fruits and vegetables and undeclared citric acid on bagged salad greens and pre-washed produce of all kinds. Citric acid is a product of the fermentation of corn sugar by Aspergillus mold. That feeds yeast. It’s often used on produce and in the soaker pads in the packaging of organic meats and as an acid in canned foods. Pectin and most vitamin carriers are chemical corn-based additives as well. Keep a food journal to see if you can pinpoint the problematic food. It might be as easy as changing brands of yogurt or avoiding certain produce.

Alic_wantstobefree
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 4

Hi,

I’ve been suffering with YI’s since a course of anti-biotics wiped me out last year. I find amazing relief from soaking a tampon in coconut oil mixed with a couple of drops of tea tree oil and inserting it for about an hour. Be warned it may sting a little at first but this passes quickly and really helps clear up any infection, great for BV also.

I use a menstrual cup normally or else 100% cotton tampons. I find pads very irritating.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘vaginal yeast infections – pads or tampons?’ is closed to new replies.