TJ's olive oil & coconut oil

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions TJ's olive oil & coconut oil

This topic contains 14 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  alexalgebra 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

msmofish
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 96

after reading articles about the best olive oils & coconut oils – am I to assume that Trader Joe’s is supplying the worst products ? I’ve read that they aren’t ethical & responsible when it comes to organic. Any thoughts, theories, articles ?

Danny33
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 362

Their organic coconut oil is the cheapest you will find anywhere (5.99 USD).
    I too am a little suspect of trader joes but cannot comment on their ethics, etc. May be worth looking into.

kodaz2005
    Topics: 37
    Replies: 172

msmofish;32830 wrote: after reading articles about the best olive oils & coconut oils – am I to assume that Trader Joe’s is supplying the worst products ? I’ve read that they aren’t ethical & responsible when it comes to organic. Any thoughts, theories, articles ?

I would say there is no reason to believe Trader Joe’s Organic products are any different than any other companies Organic products. Unless you have a substantiated source with proof of this, the price of the product should not have any bearing on whether the product is truely organic. If anything Trader Joe’s has one of the strongest reputations in the business. They taste taste all of their products before even selecting them, their moto is to offer good quality food at a fair price.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I would be very wary of their products just like anything else. Costco sells kirkland organic olive oil, but is it the best and does it have high standards? Me and my wife argued about this a bunch yesterday and she feels that going with brands you trust is important, but what if you trust the junk brands? There is no way for us to make any determinations on the quality of a product other than our own opinion. The organic standards were reduced in the last few years and now a bunch of stores are carrying organic products.

One thing worth noting is that 75% of the food found at trader joes is not organic and it used to contain much much more organic products (like close to 100%). I stopped going to them because I couldn’t find anything organic when I went there and was violently upset to see this.

The best coconut oil I found is the Dr. Bonner’s brand coconut oil btw, and you have to pay for it.

-raster

msmofish

This article is from 2010 so not super current but makes a great point
    http://www.utne.com/Environment/The-EcoMyth-of-Trader-Joes.aspx

msmofish

I bought oil from a local vendor at the Hollywood Farmers Market & it sure does make a huge difference !! I’m new to the coconut oil world & am investigating the best ones out there. TJ’s brand is super cheap & most likely for a reason – who knows what’s truly in it

shayfo
    Replies: 668

thanks for the info, msmofish. i live in the LA area and might have to swing up to hollywood for that. i’ve been buying from whole foods and trader joe’s because their store brands aren’t that expensive and i’m pretty broke right now (damn you, probiotics!), but i have questioned the quality. trader joe’s is all about the hydrolyzed wtf additives in their snacks and prepared foods, so it brings the integrity of their other products into question, in my opinion.

Angel29
    Participant
    Topics: 56
    Replies: 101

I’ve been using TJ’s coconut oil and evoo for a while now. I think their coconut oil is about the same price as Whole Foods and it’s the same size container, only difference is WF has a plastic jar (which I try to avoid) and TJ’s has a glass jar. I’ll check the price at Mom’s ORganic Market next time I go.

alexalgebra
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 643

Yeah…I can’t afford the higher priced ones right now, so I’m also getting Trader Joe’s.

shayfo

whole foods in my city has glass jars! bummer that that’s not the case where you are, angel.

msmofish

the olive oil at Farmer’s Market was expensive but the taste is incomparable. The women selling it said that cooking with it takes the nutrients out of it so best used on salads etc.
    I just had an avocado with this olive oil, squeeze of meyer lemon, sea salt & pepper. This could easily sell for $10 as an appetizer at a fancy restaurant so I just ate like a queen !

TJ’s brands are so much cheaper but I don’t feel like I’m getting the best quality, most truthful & organic product.
    Where are they producing all of these organic products in such high volume to be distributed to so many stores ?

shayfo

that sounds delicious!

i have found that tj’s organic evoo is more flavorful than newman’s own organics, though it’s not as good as some middle eastern brands i used to buy. i might look into some farmers markets around here after i figure out my tax situation (1099 fml).

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

More important than being organic, the oil should be virgin coconut oil. If you don’t use virgin, you won’t receive the same results in the long run. As far as the brands are concerned, I would definitely find one packaged in a glass jar instead of plastic such as Living Foods Extra Virgin 100% Organic Coconut Oil distributed by Garden of Life.

Able

Danny33
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 362

Lucini EVOO is by far the best tasting I have experienced. They sell both organic and conventional. Dr. Weil endorses this brand.

It is expensive no doubt but is widely available.

Also, garden of life makes a great EVCO.

alexalgebra
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 643

Trader Joe’s is EV.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘TJ's olive oil & coconut oil’ is closed to new replies.