Think I've had Candida for 15 years – Finding it hard to cope with life at the moment

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Think I've had Candida for 15 years – Finding it hard to cope with life at the moment

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  son_of_sun 9 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

t-rudge
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 11

Hello,

I’ve never been much of a forum poster in my life but I think I’m going to crack with what I’m going through.

Sorry if this post gets long but I’ve been going through the whole Candida ordeal and the past month as been slowly crushing my spirits. I’ll avoid going on a long rant and provide the facts to make this easier to digest in hopes that I can get some one else’s opinion, specially if they’ve successfully gone through this.

About a month and a half ago I was at a restaurant with my wife (BBQ), I was feeling a bit faint and up until this point I thought I was developing Diabetes (most of my family is and I’ve had a horrendous diet for the past 15 years). I drank most of my diet coke thinking I may need some caffeine to make it until the food came but as soon as I started eating I gave my wife a look and I just said I had to leave, I NEVER have done that but I didn’t want to pass out and make a scene for my wife in a public place. I went home and thought I was going to have a heart attack, my heart was pounding, I felt jittery and I just felt an impending doom coming my way. After laying down a while I started to feel ok (not fine).

Flash forward 3 weeks and I went through another episode, on Saturday and Sunday night again I felt like I was gonna have a heart attack. I went to the Urgent care as soon as it opened Sunday morning where they took an EKG and checked my heart, I was told the Dr. that checked me was a cardiologist from a hospital that was volunteering (maybe to reassure me or maybe I got lucky). He said I was completely FINE with no sign of ill health. He prescribed me with Omeprazole (Anti-acid Liprosec I think). I did have my reservations about him since he didn’t seem too interested when he was asking me questions.

I went home feeling somewhat better that it wasn’t my heart but again that night I had another horrible night where it feels like you are literally fighting for your life but you don’t know against what. I went back to the Urgent care again (paying out of pocket each time which stressed me even more). This time the doctor was super involved and he seemed genuinely concerned which calmed me down, he checked for a few different things to figure out what I had (including the FLU) and a test found out that I had H. Pylori. I was prescribed with 2 (one was Amoxicillin 2000mg a day) different antibiotics and Omeprazole for 14 days.

The following days were a living hell, but it was mostly mentally, I felt HORRIBLE fear and anxiety, to add to this I had horrible guilt about everything and anything. Physically I had chills then I felt I was burning up, either time my temperature was perfect and the more symptoms I felt with no actual physical signs of something being wrong the more it drove me crazy.

I stopped taking the anti-acid because it seemed to make my anxiety worse and I found a lot of forums online saying that Omeprazole gives you HORRIBLE panic attacks. Every time I would take the antibiotics it felt like something was being torn apart in my stomach.

I finally made it through the 14 days of antibiotics and I don’t even know if the H. Pylori is gone but I was just happy I made it through that course. I also thought my body would start healing and I would start feeling better. I stupidly started eating like before thinking that since I didn’t eat much while on the antibiotics I could (and even should) start “nourishing” myself. I started noticing that right after eating something big like a burrito or a burger within the hour I would go into a panic attack or my strength would leave me (some times it felt like I was going to pass out and die from just exhaustion).

I went to the Urgent care (again no insurance) and I came out almost in tears because when I described my symptoms the different Dr gave me a refund saying that she didn’t think she could help me, I asked if I could have blood drawn for Cholesterol and maybe a CBC blood count because they hadn’t checked for that before. The clinic has a General Practitioner once a week so I made an appointment to see her. When my appointment came I talked to the GP which also told me my blood work was perfect (My cholesterol was a bit high but nothing big). She listened to me and finally said that it could be depression, which bummed me out because there’s a big difference between feeling the depression and the way I physically feel.

Finally I was Googling for “After H. Pylori treatment sideffects” and read some forum where people were complaining about Candida. I THOUGHT I HAD FOUND IT. All my symptoms fit and specially considering my eating history and personal problems (which I haven’t mentioned I already feel no one will read this because is so long and probably pointless to anyone else).

I started to cut all Carbs and Sugars (I have not eating anything with sugar and the only carbs are either from vegetables or a buckwheat flat bread my wife made yesterday, I got too desperate after 5 days of nothing but beef/chicken with broccoli/spinach/avocado. I’ll admit I was too eager to get rid of the problem that I just went for the basics of the diet (No Carbs/Sugars and mostly green veggies).

Immediately my first day of the diet I felt ok for half of it but then the rest it felt like I was SO WEAK and just laid in bed barely speaking. What I find SO FRUSTRATING is that my wife and her family probably think I’m a joke, my wife has been supportive for the past month but she’s even made a couple of comments that maybe it’s all in my head and I need medication. I was prescribed with 2 anti-anxiety pills (one was Xanax) but I opted to find something else, I don’t really like the prospect of numbing what I feel with pills because I’ve never heard of anyone that got cured of depression, also, I’ve lead a VERY depressing life with a TON of family emergencies where I have to either bleed my savings over and over or sacrifice years of my life trying to help out in some major way. (I won’t go into that because I don’t think the details matter, except that it’s been my quality of life).

I used to want to start a family but I feel like such a disfunctional mess that wouldn’t be worth anyone’s time let alone be enough to provide for a family. I feel like I wrecked my life and there’s no reset button, I used to do be a handy man and it took me 2 years of teaching myself how to code and build websites, I finally got a freelance gig that turned semi full time (working from home no less, which is all I ever wanted). But I’m so scared this past month that I can barely get around 30-35 hours work and I don’t want the guy I work for, who is a super nice guy, get ticked off and me lose the job. I have a weekly call with the team I work with but it IS SO HARD sounding happy and productive for the 1-2 hours the call lasts.

I’m dying here.

Sorry for the monster post and no point except to rant I guess.

My question is, am I right to believe that this IS Candida? I do have white tongue, I’ve had fungus on my toe nails for 5-7 years and I had just developed some on my thumb about the same time I had that first episode. I’ve always been super tired and always down and depressed (which made it so much easier to eat sweet and fatty foods). This year I’ve had urges to eat to fill the ‘void’ and it always was gorging myself with sweet stuff then salty carbs.

I want to believe that it is Candida, at least it’s something to fight against.

Right now it’s day 7 of my semi diet (no sugars/carbs only green veggies) and I feel horrible, sometimes I feel better but these past 3 days have been worse. I drank a coconut avocado smoothie the other day because I read coconut is great against candida, that day I had another smoothie right before bed which made me SUPER SLEEPY, I fell asleep and within 30 minutes I felt like I was going to jump out a cliff, I’ve never been woken up with panic as much as this past month. I fall asleep and my eyes just open and my heart is racing and the adrenaline is pumping so bad that I feel I was being attacked, also my dreams are horribly stressful and REAL.

I just want to know I’m not going nuts and feel normal again, my head is SO foggy most days that sometimes I think this is one long nightmare.

Help.

Thanks for any replies. And I’m really sorry for how lengthy this got, I meant to keep this short.

t-rudge

Sorry, in all that whole post I didn’t include what I’m going through right now.

As I mentioned it’s day 7 of me avoiding sugars and carbs and I don’t have the panic attacks I had before (except when I drank the coconut smoothies) Which I wonder if it killed too much candida or something.

I am constantly and DEEPLY depressed, I’ve always been down because of my personal problems but this is SO different, ALL OF LIFE seems so meaningless.

I have more energy, but only enough to help me get through maybe 5-7 hours of work if I’m lucky. Before I bailed from work a few days and only worked 2 or 3 hours those days.

The past three days I am feeling SO OILY, my skin is so uncomfortable, I shower everyday, I showered last night and woke up this morning feeling oily already.

I think I could take better inventory of my symptoms right now but I can’t get past these three.

I think I was already pretty bad with Candida before they found H.Pylori but the antibiotics just blew a hole in my stomach and killed so much candida (that’s why those 2 weeks were HELLISH) but since I ate sweets and carbs for a week before starting to eat better the candida just took over.

Well I think anyways. (My mind is so foggy that I can’t think straight about stuff sometimes).

andrewmezzo
    Topics: 26
    Replies: 17

t-rudge;58321 wrote: Sorry, in all that whole post I didn’t include what I’m going through right now.

As I mentioned it’s day 7 of me avoiding sugars and carbs and I don’t have the panic attacks I had before (except when I drank the coconut smoothies) Which I wonder if it killed too much candida or something.

I am constantly and DEEPLY depressed, I’ve always been down because of my personal problems but this is SO different, ALL OF LIFE seems so meaningless.

I have more energy, but only enough to help me get through maybe 5-7 hours of work if I’m lucky. Before I bailed from work a few days and only worked 2 or 3 hours those days.

The past three days I am feeling SO OILY, my skin is so uncomfortable, I shower everyday, I showered last night and woke up this morning feeling oily already.

I think I could take better inventory of my symptoms right now but I can’t get past these three.

I think I was already pretty bad with Candida before they found H.Pylori but the antibiotics just blew a hole in my stomach and killed so much candida (that’s why those 2 weeks were HELLISH) but since I ate sweets and carbs for a week before starting to eat better the candida just took over.

Well I think anyways. (My mind is so foggy that I can’t think straight about stuff sometimes).

Hello T-Rudge, I feel EXACTLY what you have been going through. I had almost the exact same issues as you 6 months ago during my senior year of highschool. I could barely concentrate in class, had trouble breathing, anxiety attacks, super tired and all these other fatigue problems. I had extremely oily skin no matter how much I showered as well.

So what have I been doing these past 6 months? Let me walk you through it.

I stopped sugar completely and bread.

I’ve started off by nuking my intestines with alot of Antifungals. I started with Organic Extra Virgin Coconut oil, then moved onto a brand known as “Candida Support” that delivers 6 different antifungals into your intestines, and now I’m just doing Dairy-free Cultured Coconut Milk and trying out SF772

Then I proceeded to take probiotic supplements in capsule form for about a month.

After 6 months of tough detox and stress I have overcome a huge roadblock in my candida infestation and I’m feeling MUCH better, so I’m here to just let you know that you WILL get better if you just read the advice that people are here to offer on this forum! 🙂

t-rudge

Thanks so much for your reply andrewmezzo, I’m actually happy to hear you’ve gotten yours more or less under control at such a young age.

Now that I’m going through this and think back at the last decade it makes so much sense why I’ve never been able to lose weight and was always SO TIRED. Also those ridiculous cravings and binges for sweet and carbs.

I’ve started off by nuking my intestines with alot of Antifungals. I started with Organic Extra Virgin Coconut oil, then moved onto a brand known as “Candida Support” that delivers 6 different antifungals into your intestines, and now I’m just doing Dairy-free Cultured Coconut Milk and trying out SF772

I just started dealing with how I feel assuming that it’s candida, since 2 out of the 4 doctors I’ve seen went straight to anti-anxiety and one mentioned anti-depressants — I DO NOT WANT TO GO DOWN THAT ROAD 🙁 — I feel like I have to figure this out myself. I’m SO grateful for this forum and others like it. This condition makes you doubt yourself so much.

I cut sugar and carbs this week and I think I’ll start a juice detox next week and try to do this the right way. I’m a bit afraid of starting antifungals because I’m not looking forward to harder die-off symptoms.

I just have to keep reading about people that got better and it gives me some hope that this won’t last, I think I can deal with any physical symptoms but it’s this depression that’s crushing me.

Thanks again for your reply.

andrewmezzo

t-rudge;58323 wrote: Thanks so much for your reply andrewmezzo, I’m actually happy to hear you’ve gotten yours more or less under control at such a young age.

Now that I’m going through this and think back at the last decade it makes so much sense why I’ve never been able to lose weight and was always SO TIRED. Also those ridiculous cravings and binges for sweet and carbs.

I just started dealing with how I feel assuming that it’s candida, since 2 out of the 4 doctors I’ve seen went straight to anti-anxiety and one mentioned anti-depressants — I DO NOT WANT TO GO DOWN THAT ROAD 🙁 — I feel like I have to figure this out myself. I’m SO grateful for this forum and others like it. This condition makes you doubt yourself so much.

I cut sugar and carbs this week and I think I’ll start a juice detox next week and try to do this the right way. I’m a bit afraid of starting antifungals because I’m not looking forward to harder die-off symptoms.

I just have to keep reading about people that got better and it gives me some hope that this won’t last, I think I can deal with any physical symptoms but it’s this depression that’s crushing me.

Thanks again for your reply.

I completely understand. Yes you’ll have to take this very slow, but it will all work out in the end. Usually your symptoms will get better after 2-3 months of detoxing and following the diet, but a cure will take probably several years. And just a thought, you’d probably want to hop on an anti-fungal regimen ASAP when you start your diet because the longer you wait the worse it will get. Die-off symptoms are just a way your body is letting you know you are ELIMINATING candida, of course don’t over do it but least you can do is start very very soon, as the only way to give your body a chance to start repopulating gut is to use an anti-fungal and destroy the candida that is controlling your digestive system right now.

I felt like utter crap before and during my anti-fungal period, but it wasn’t until I started taking anti-fungals that I started feeling MUCH better. Also make sure you’re taking alot of bentonite clay supplements to help with your die-off, or you’ll just be a toxic wasteland during your detox and that won’t help much.

As for your depression, I recommend taking some american ginseng concoctions, it’s anti-inflammatory, and an anti-depressant and is a VERY healthy for you, I feel it’s helped alot.

Have you tried scheduling an appointment with a naturopathic doctor? They diagnose Candida very well and help plan out your regiment as well.

I also HIGHLY recommend you look at Thorne Research Supplements on Amazon. Especially the Thorne’s Bacillus Coagulans, and Thorne’s SF722.

t-rudge

I’ve just been dieting and taking Vitamin C, D, B12, Milk Thistle and some weak probiotics (1.5 bill).

I started taking the vitamins because they helped some when I thought my problem was deficiencies.

Right before I found out about Candida my stools were almost white (The GP ignored this when I mentioned it). I read that that is almost 100% the liver, right after taking milk thistle for half a day I noticed I started going a more solid and a healthier brown than I had in years. I’ll look into the bentonite clay and the ginseng.

I do need to see a naturopathic doctor as soon as I can find one.

I’m also wondering which anti-fungal and antibiotic I should take, should I go with natural anti-fungal? I did an experiment last week by drinking apple cider vinegar 2 tbsp twice a day but that day was extremely bad, same for when I tried the coconut milk smoothie.

Also, what is a good brand of probiotics? I bought the one a day brand because I wasn’t too aware of what to get, the only have 1.5 billion cultures where I see some people take 50-150 billion.

Thanks for all this info, I’ve been looking through so many forums but it can become an information overload.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

So t-rudge, it isn’t all candida. You likely have a complex of problems that are all inter-related and overlapping. I experienced something really similar to you when I started out and it was also triggered by aspartame (I took a breath mint that had it).

Aspartame is not a healthy fake sugar product because it is related to alzheimers if you look at some studies about it. Basically this means that it damages your brain imho. When this occurs you develop anxiety. One way to reverse the anxiety is to give your brain some supplements that will heal it. Fatty acids are the way to do this because your brain is largely composed of fat. Great sources of fatty acids include flax oil, coconut oil, cod liver oil, fish and meat, etc. You can also take nutritional supplements such as super neurogen, PS-100, SF722, E3AFA, etc. and these will support your brain health.

What I would do is take some flax oil when you get anxiety and it should help it go away immediately or quickly.

Candida toxins can damage the brain too and if you have gut problems, this can directly affect your brain health.

H. pylori is also a common bacteria that overgrows in most people who have digestive problems so you could have other bad bacteria, microbes, parasites, etc. that have overgrown. You could also have bacteria that live in places where they shouldn’t (such as what happens when you have SIBO).

As far as diagnosing you, the top candida symptoms include coated tongue and rectal itching. If you have these symptoms its possibly related to candida. We aren’t going to diagnose you, but if you were to do the candia5 test, this might be the easiest diagnosis tool.

In general the diet should help you get better and you likely would have to do it long term to notice any major benefit. Its a hard thing to transition to, but once you see the results from it, you won’t care at that point.

-raster

andrewmezzo

t-rudge;58327 wrote: I’ve just been dieting and taking Vitamin C, D, B12, Milk Thistle and some weak probiotics (1.5 bill).

I started taking the vitamins because they helped some when I thought my problem was deficiencies.

Right before I found out about Candida my stools were almost white (The GP ignored this when I mentioned it). I read that that is almost 100% the liver, right after taking milk thistle for half a day I noticed I started going a more solid and a healthier brown than I had in years. I’ll look into the bentonite clay and the ginseng.

I do need to see a naturopathic doctor as soon as I can find one.

I’m also wondering which anti-fungal and antibiotic I should take, should I go with natural anti-fungal? I did an experiment last week by drinking apple cider vinegar 2 tbsp twice a day but that day was extremely bad, same for when I tried the coconut milk smoothie.

Also, what is a good brand of probiotics? I bought the one a day brand because I wasn’t too aware of what to get, the only have 1.5 billion cultures where I see some people take 50-150 billion.

Thanks for all this info, I’ve been looking through so many forums but it can become an information overload.

I just ordered Thorne Research Bacillus Coagulus Probiotic and Thorne Research SF772 together on Amazon about 30 minutes ago, These are the only two probiotic+antifungal combination I haven’t tried yet. Raster here also recommends Thorne’s SF772 as an antifungal for your candida, I’m going to take his word for it and expect some amazing results!.

stitcherman
    Replies: 8

t-rudge for what its worth the tough times you have been going through is parallel to a friend of mines experiences. after years of the same things he was finally tested a second time for lyme disease. (he was initially tested years ago & the results were negative). The second time he was tested after years of troubles it came out that lyme disease was the problem.

son_of_sun
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 3

I like success stories, so checking to see if you were able to get relief and positive changes throughout the year. 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Think I've had Candida for 15 years – Finding it hard to cope with life at the moment’ is closed to new replies.