Taking a break during the diet

Home The Candida Forum Candida Advice Taking a break during the diet

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  fml432 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

debthebee
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 24

Hi I’m new here and have suspected I have Candida for many years but tests and medications haven’t helped. I probably didn’t fully understand the condition before and I’ve never been able to strict so many foods or alcohol from a diet either.

I’ve recently decided to try Threelac as well as cutting out foods that make the Candida worse but it’s going to be hard. I was planning a visit to Pizza Hut next week with the family and I was wondering what effect one day of eating not so good foods would have. I would really appreciate any advice.

I have a lot of difficulty losing weight so I’ve pretty much been on diets non stop and now starting another new one as restrictive as this is making me feel pretty down in the dumps. Any advice will be much appreciated!

sarah
    Topics: 1

Taking a day off can set you back pretty considerably – if you give the candida that’s still alive in your body a great big feast of foods they love, it will take that much longer to kill them all off. If you routinely take days off, you may not be able kill them all off.

Personally, I decided just after Thanksgiving that I wanted to pursue the candida diet. And I chose to wait until after the holidays were over to start, rather than take a start-and-stop approach (or miss out on fudge at Christmas). For me, the extra time allowed me to research candida further, plan the foods I wanted to eat on the diet, and live with my miserable symptoms a while longer (which greatly strengthened my resolve heading in to this).

I definitely sympathize with struggles over weight. I’ve done some very strict, harsh, harmful diets in the past and I’ve spent most of my adult life obsessing about my weight. I knew that I didn’t want to lose focus on my health this time. I wanted to be able to pay attention to whether or not my symptoms were improving, and not just obsess about whether the scale was moving. And I didn’t want any possible discouragement at the bathroom scale to lead me to give up, when my health might actually be improving. So… a month before starting the candida diet, I threw out my scale. For the first time in a decade, I don’t know what I weigh. I suspect that I have lost weight – my face and waist both appear to have slimmed. But I don’t know how much and I’m trying not to focus on that, and instead to pay attention to my symptoms. For me, this has been a really positive, healthy decision. It’s not about reaching an arbitrary weight goal; it’s about improving my health and healing my body. I have found it really peaceful not to worry about my weight, and just to focus on taking care of myself and my body.

In terms of how strict this diet is – it is, and at the same time it isn’t. The list of foods we can eat is strict. But how much and how often we eat is entirely up to us, and that’s a beautiful thing in contrast to most weight loss plans. I am eating when I’m hungry – every time I get hungry – without worrying about counting calories or carbs or points, or weighing portions or fretting over various limits. I’m just eating. And what I’m eating are healthy, nutritious foods. I’m eating things I like (even though I’m not having *everything* I like). I’m trying new foods I hadn’t had before (turns out, I love the taste of buckwheat!) I am reminding myself that the foods I’m abstaining from were contributing to how sick I felt, and that I may be able to eat them again in the future (in moderation) once I’ve beaten the candida. And all of that is helping to keep me motivated.

I hope some of this is helpful to you. I wish you the best of success on your own journey to beat candida!

debthebee

Thanks for the info Sarah! So would it not be better to be good for a few days, take a break one day and then continue properly than to just be bad for a few days? Or will all my effort be pointless from one day off? What worries me is that at the moment unless I’m on a diet I put on weight at a rate of about 2lbs a day…I wouldn’t like to gain more weight but then I don’t want to deprive myself for nothing either.

I don’t want to do this diet, in fact I’m dreading it, but I need to do it. I’ve been unwell for so long but have never known what will actually help. I’m scared I won’t be able to stick with it. I find it difficult to go without tea or to drink green tea without sweeteners.

I’m quite obsessed with my weight too, but even if I’m healthier I think I will still be unhappy if I am overweight. However, in my past experience I did a diet where I cut out a lot of stuff and I lost plenty of weight. It’s only now thinking about how I cut out most things that feeds candida that I realise why I lost the weight. It makes me feel a bit more confident that going on this diet will bring me down again and I have another diet I want to do when I’m well enough. I do agree with you though, that getting healthy needs to be put before losing weight. I’m really unhappy at my current weight though…I put on 12lbs in 9 days over Christmas and I haven’t been able to shift it despite diet and exercise.

I don’t think I can even get hold of buckwheat in my little town so I doubt I’ll ever know what it is! I’m going to miss sweet yoghurt and fruit.

Another question if you don’t mind. They say you should avoid cheese that is aged like blue cheese. I’m not really sure what other cheeses are aged though so I’m not sure what I can and can’t have.

sarah

In terms of beating the candida, it will probably be about the same to wait a few days vs. start, stop, and start again. So, I would base the decision on what you think will serve you best overall in terms of your health and well being. If you choose to wait a few days before beginning, you can still make healthy choices and perhaps use the time to try a few recipes and prepare for the longer term plans.

As far as tea and sweeteners – stevia and xylitol are the two sweeteners approved for the candida diet. Both come from natural sources, and neither promotes candida growth. With that said, I’ve always needed sweetener in my green tea, but I am doing this without any sweeteners (to try to overcome my lifelong cravings) and as time goes on I’m enjoying it more. I am finding that some varieties work better unsweetened than others. And I definitely prefer good quality loose leaf tea to the stuff in bags (I buy mine online and the prices end up just as good for better quality).

It’s really easy to become discouraged thinking about the things we’re doing without. I definitely find my mood is better when I focus instead on what I can have, and on the opportunities to try new things and attempt new recipes. And, I’m hopeful that I’ll be able to add back a good number of things that are off the menu for now.

My understanding is that cheese shouldn’t be eaten at all in Stage 1, but that fresh cheeses can be added back during Stage 2. Un-aged cheeses are usually soft or semisoft and don’t tend to have that sharp tanginess of aged cheese – cream cheese, fresh Mozzerella, Neufchatel, and cottage cheese are a few of the most common (in the U.S.) examples.

Also – be prepared for die-off. I’ve been going through that most of this week, and it has been rough to stick with the plan when I’ve felt poorly. But, I’m feeling better today and confident that this is working! And in the end, it will definitely be worth it to feel healthier for the long run.

debthebee

Thanks so much Sarah. What you’ve said is really encouraging and I feel a bit more positive about it all. I guess I will start properly in a few days then, although am trying to get used to plain yoghurt at the moment (can’t do low fat if there’s nothing to sweeten it!).

Really glad xylitol is allowed, I think I can get that in my local supermarket. As for stevia I don’t think we have that in the UK but I’ll check and see if there’s something similar.

I’ve heard of die off…I’m not sure how bad it will get but I think about what I’ve been through without medication and trying to hold down a job at the same time and I almost feel like nothing could be worse than that! The intestinal problems whilst working full time were the most awful thing I’ve ever experienced. The acne and weight problems have shot down my confidence and I think I’m ready to give this 100% :). Are your die off symptoms worse than the effects of Candida? And how soon do they come in?

I’m going to start taking some psyllium husks to help with the bowel problems. I’ve read that taking Threelac you should have regular bowel movements or it will just make things worse, but I can’t do the detox on this site. It sounds way too much for me to do I think!

sarah

I’m glad it’s helpful to you!

Yeah, I don’t like low fat plain yogurt. I’ve been using the whole milk stuff and I figure that I’m making up for it by giving up my cheese addiction! 😛

There’s a write up on die-off from this site here:
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/candida-die-off.htm

Myself, I’ve had a lot of fatigue this week, as well as sinus issues, constipation, headaches, and nausea. Drinking water and taking vitamin C has helped. But I’ve definitely felt more lethargic than normal and it’s been challenging to get my work done this week. I’d been on the diet 2 weeks when this started, and it seems to be easing up a bit now after 5+ days of this.

Do make sure when you take the psyllium husks that you drink enough water – both with it and afterwards. Psyllium bulks a lot; it can definitely help get things moving but you need enough water to move it through.

whyitsme
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 72

I think you need to set a start date, and stick to it. I tried doing the diet about 90-95% for a year. It helped, but still didn’t feel well. I like to say that I was training my will power. For once I decided to do it, I was going to do it 99.5%,(cheated a few times with vodka, but stayed away from beer and wine. Mostly not drinking) since I was tired of being sick and tired. I think it’s easier to put a block on the foods you can’t eat. (Grocery shopping can be somewhat depressing). I chose 6 months as my target. 3 months to make sure body rid of candida and 3 months to keep clean to heal. I started feeling noticeably better at 4 months, I am now at 5, and actually getting my energy back which is exciting. Last week have started minor cheating like teriyaki sauce, and had first piece of bread in 5 months. But still plan on being good for one more month. Though at beginning I told myself I get a couple beers on st. pattys day.

If you cheat with the bad foods, the candida will just eat it and multiply. So you really need to just stop it altogether. Like others mentioned, I eat all the time, usually every 2 hours. No worries about calories, and you will lose weight.

try full fat greek yogurt.full fat actually has less sugar than fat free, and it is better for your body to process since all natural in that state.

debthebee

I posted this last month so have already started the diet. I’m in my 3rd week now and haven’t cheated as such but I did have some smoked salmon one day because I didn’t realise I wasn’t allowed it. I’ve been eating nuts without soaking them too, but I don’t think that’s a big deal. I’m steering clear of peanuts and pistachios as the diet says to.

I have to say though, I’m not losing weight, in fact I’ve gained a few pounds which is pretty disappointing. I’m still holding out hope that my metabolism will pick up when the bacteria are all dead. I am eating all full fat stuff, but have decided to try lower fat organic butter and see if that makes a difference as I have been having a bit on rice cakes.

bhardwic
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 2

debthebee~I am in the same boat you were back in February. I know I need to start this diet seriously, but keep cheating… Not sure how to give up my coffee and I am a chocolate fanatic~ But I am miserable with thrush on my tongue and throat. I am always tired and just want to feel normal.
    I see you finally started the diet and seem to be doing well…

I can’t remember which one of you talked about not having bread in along time…
    Is there no bread out there without wheat or sugar? How about Ezekial bread? I tried Udi’s but now I see while there is no wheat there is some sugar.

Ugh… I know I need to get this diet going, but was hoping to see improvement with the acupunture I’ve been going to…

Whitney
    Replies: 5

As for bread I use samisbakery.com which has a good yeast free and sugar free millet / flax loaf bread. The diet can be a challenge but the real key to it is meal planning. Find a cookbook of recipes and plan your meals ahead of time so you don’t go hungry. There is nothing worse than getting stuck without a plan and trying to think through a yeast free meal.

Good luck!

~Whitney

helmax
    Replies: 20

Hello everyone in the thread.
    What an interesting thread, reading everyone’s story about the Candida diet.

I’m seeing that people who haven’t been on the diet for very long are still eating things that I can’t touch. I did the same thing about 10 weeks into the diet. I thought that, since I was feeling so much better and experiencing less and less symptoms, that I could start adding a few things along. I started adding (gradually) 1/2 apple, a few tablespoons of raw old fashioned oatmeal, and 1/2 of a baked sweet potato. I was eating maybe one of these items every few days, and that was really all I was eating outside the diet. About two weeks after starting this, I was hit with a full blast of Candida symptoms. What I didn’t realize earlier was that in the beginning I had a very, very mild case of Candida. If you’re having somewhat ‘mild’ symptoms, then you very likely have a mild case of Candida. This of course is in my opinion due to my own experience.
    I am now very deep into a strict Candida diet. The only salt I can eat without having a reaction is Himalayan Sea Salt. If I eat meat that has been injected with sodium for preservation, I have terrible reactions for at least several days. I’m on thyroid meds from thyroid surgery, and about 4 months after contracting Candida, my thyroid hormone level dropped so low that the doctor thought it was a mistake, of course she eventually raised my dosage. Since I can’t eat regular salt with iodine, I started having symptoms of low iodine levels, so now I’m also taking an iodine supplement.
    I can’t use toothpaste, because so far I haven’t found any that doesn’t have a list of ingredients that I’m afraid of, plus all I’ve seen contains some type of sugar alcohol or substitute. I use baking soda and H2O2 on my toothbrush. I can’t have sugar substitutes without a reaction, even Xylitol which I received reactions from immediately. Probably because one teaspoon of it contains 4 grams of Sugar Alcohols, and I can’t have any of this due to reactions shortly afterwards. I did find one type which my health food store owner suggested, it’s pure Stevia extract. I’m only barely using it at the moment, but so far have had no reactions.
    Someone mentioned Millet & Flax Bread, I can’t eat this because it has 90mg of sodium, and even though it’s regular sea salt, I have reactions to this (I’ve tried it). This is probably due the way it’s processed and possible other ingredients.
    I try not to go out to eat, but if I absolutely can’t get out of it, I always go to the salad bar, and that’s it. No meat at all and no salad dressing. I obtain several slices of lemon and use as a salad dressing. All the above is just a sample how bad it’s gotten.

I’m not really trying to scare anyone, but I really want everyone to realize that, if you start having immediate, very uncomfortable reactions to foods, you will have no choice but to become completely serious about the diet.

Thanks for your interest.
    Sky

sharonbaker
    Replies: 2

Hey sarah,

Wow…. superb tips… I must appreciate your knowledge about candida. One of my friend have a same problem.. i think your suggestion will be helpful for my friend. Thanks….

fml432
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 35

Whitney wrote: As for bread I use samisbakery.com which has a good yeast free and sugar free millet / flax loaf bread.

Thanks for pointing out Sami’s Bakery! There’s another great product line out there called Mary’s Gone Crackers. They don’t use sugar or gluten either. Their crackers are DELICIOUS!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Taking a break during the diet’ is closed to new replies.