tahini?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  lucidity 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

hope4eva77
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 548

What is it and is it OK? Stage 1

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

It’s a paste made of sesame seeds, the sesame equivalent of peanut butter. I don’t see it listed on Able’s strict diet, but maybe it’s something you can introduce after a while? I would defer to Raster or Able’s opinions.

hope4eva77
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 548

So it seems the problem may b mold? I’d love 2 try it if it won’t hurt.

Danny33
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 362

I don’t see why sesame seeds would be a bad thing but I’m really not sure. Of course if your buying this conventional you may see soybean oil and other bad additives.

shayfo

I imagine mold is the concern. As I said, Able or Raster may have suggestions for when it would be appropriate to test tahini. It’s really great for dips (it’s in hummus and baba ghanouj, and some people make tahini-garlic spread as well).

alexalgebra
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 643

It seems like the kind of thing that you might be able to test later on, like when you can bring nut butter back in. I would be concerned about mold, since it’s like almond butter, etc.

orka1998
    Participant
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 673

At the beginning of my treatment, I was reacting to it. Later I could handle it, and do use it from time-to-time now. I was also reacting to pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds etc. Now, since seeds are common in all of these, it’s possible mold is to blame. All of these also have some antifungal properties and I was so sensitive at the beginning, couldn’t handle any coconut also.

What I am trying to say, test a small amount first and watch for reactions. It’s rather easy to make your own by toasting sesame seeds and process them in food processor or a blender (look up recipe online, there are plenty there). This way you know it’s fresh and probably have none or very little mold.

I mix it with roasted garlic, sea salt and some spices and make a spread or dip that’s pretty decent. You can add sauteed onions as well. At times I would pour tahini over my steak or other meat. Hummus cannot be made without it. But hummus is too starchy and I suggest only to eat it very sparingly later in the treatment.

Best of luck to you!

Arijana

shayfo

If you find you’re able to eat it, you can make a hummus-like dip out of raw zucchinis, tahini, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, sea salt, and whatever spices you choose (cumin and paprika, especially smoked paprika, are favorite choices of mine). You just puree it all in a blender until reasonably smooth, and eat it on veggie sticks or the coconut bread.

lucidity
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 11

Which tahini do you think is better: made from raw or roasted sesame seeds?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘tahini?’ is closed to new replies.