Sweetners – are any good?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Sweetners – are any good?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  MillyJ25Van 4 years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

MillyJ25Van
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 1

I first did a candida diet about 10 years ago. At that time the advice was not to use any sweeteners whatsoever.

I’m about to start another 6 month burst, as my symptoms have built up again. Now there are lots of sweeteners out there claiming to be healthy. Can anyone give me any advice whether any of these are ok, or should be avoided?

* agave

* stevia

* brown rice syrup

* coconut nectar

thanks!

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Agave, brown rice syrup, and coconut nectar, maple syrup, etc. is basically very beneficial to the yeast and are best saved for special treats (such as birthdays, etc).

Stevia is generally safe and is a prebiotic that promtes your healthy gut flora.

Xylitol is a bit more controversial (not mentioned in your post) and is a sugar alcohol.  I think its not good enough for the diet personally, only if you chew the xylitol gum (this causes you to produce digestive enzymes which help heal the gut).

I have done the diet for about 3-4 years now and so I enjoy maple syrup every now and then and regular sugar occasionally as well with no drawbacks.  Actually I can eat pretty much anything I want as long as it doesn’t promote histamine problems such as cows dairy does.

-raster

Rabelais
    Blocked
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 268

In addition to raster’s reply, I’d like to point out some little-known facts about stevia.

Stevia is genereally considered safe. Yet, there are still concerns about possible toxicity and carcinogenic effects. Therefore, the maximum allowed daily intake of stevia is only 4 mg per kg of body mass. For comparison, the maximum allowed daily intake of aspartame is 40 mg per kg of body mass, which makes aspartame 10 times safer than stevia.

The occasional use of some stevia is no problem. However, those who use stevia for all of their sweetening needs will easily exceed the maximum safety levels.

Other effects of stevia include nausea, bloating, headaches, gastric disturbances, and dangerously low blood pressure. It has been linked to neurotoxic effects causing a tingling feeling, numbness, degradation of motor control, depression and even psychotic effects.

Alarming as this may seem, stevia is still generally safe – but be sure not to use it for all of your sweetening needs, stay away from it if you’re pregnant or breastfeeding, mind interactions with medication you’re possibly taking, and consult a doctor if you experience any of the above symptoms.

Rabelais

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

LOL you only need a few sprinkles or shakes of stevia to sweeten something.

-raster

Rabelais
    Blocked
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 268

You are right.

What are you intending to say?

Rabelais

MillyJ25Van
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 1

Thank you, that’s very helpful.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Sweetners – are any good?’ is closed to new replies.