Swedish Bitters causing loose stools?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Swedish Bitters causing loose stools?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  cjtboy 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

bpaul90
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 7

So I am taking the Flora Swedish Bitters (Alcohol free) and I believe it is causing loose stools (not diarrhea). One of the ingredients is senna and it says to stop using if diarrhea, loose stools, or abdominal pains occur, but if my only symptom is the loose stools and I have no discomfort could this just be a die off symptom? Has anyone experienced this and continued to take the Swedish Bitters and gotten past the loose stools? I think I have leaky gut so I’m hoping the Swedish Bitters will help with that, but is there something I might be missing? I am drinking lots of herbal teas, water, and green veggie drinks so I’m sure I’m getting enough fiber and fluids.

Any input would be great, thanks.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Bitters promote digestion. You likely are expelling a bunch of toxins and crud from deep in your gut and this is is why your bm’s are different. One of the goals of the diet is to get things to travel through the gut as quickly as possible, and bitters definitely promotes this.

One thing you will notice is that your bm’s will change throughout your treatment; some days are good, some are bad. It varies like the weather.

Hope this helps.

-raster

jameskep
    Participant
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 220

If your having loose stools you can cut back to where you have more formed bowel movements. Long term use of senna can lead to electrolyte imbalance and dehydration. Senna is used for occasional constipation. There are better bitters than senna that promote bile production(digestion). I would rather use artichoke extract or black radish extract for digestion than Swedish bitters. Swedish bitters also contains rhubarb which(long term) can be a little hard on the kidneys.

Some have used Bile salts and HCL caps for digestion as well.

Careful on drinking a lot of herbal teas. Some herbs are diuretics, which can screw with your electrolyte levels.

cjtboy
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 26

Loose stools were/are still sometimes my biggest complaint/main symptom… I recommend you go to a Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioner/Acupuncturist who knows Chinese herbs.

Loose stools often point to an issue with the spleen and TCM descriptors like ‘dampness’ and ‘cold'(not literal, just how they describe what is going on with your body). One diagnostic tool they use, aside from pulses, is looking at your tongue. You can do this easily though it takes an expert to put the diagnosis together. Does you tongue have teeth marks/scallops on the sides like the 3rd pic in the following link? This generally indicates spleen deficiency: tongues

My symptoms at first got somewhat better on the forum diet, but then got worse and my symptoms came back after about 3 months. Based on recommendations from my acupuncturist, I stopped eating all raw foods and started eating to support my spleen (this includes some complex carbs), and took recommended herbs. I am not there 100% yet, but am making good progress and feeling better than I did on the strict forum diet.

Everyone’s infestation/sickness is different… You need to find what diet is right for you. Not the easiest thing to do – which I why I recommend seeing an expert. good luck.

Ms T
    Topics: 11
    Replies: 22

cjtboy,

I am curious as to which foods your accupuncturist recommended. Did he/she suggest you include cooked root vegetables, like sweet potatoes?

I ask because there is a phd, Ray Peat, who believes the same.

T

toni8
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 40

cjtboy;31158 wrote: Loose stools were/are still sometimes my biggest complaint/main symptom… I recommend you go to a Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioner/Acupuncturist who knows Chinese herbs.

Loose stools often point to an issue with the spleen and TCM descriptors like ‘dampness’ and ‘cold'(not literal, just how they describe what is going on with your body). One diagnostic tool they use, aside from pulses, is looking at your tongue. You can do this easily though it takes an expert to put the diagnosis together. Does you tongue have teeth marks/scallops on the sides like the 3rd pic in the following link? This generally indicates spleen deficiency: tongues

My symptoms at first got somewhat better on the forum diet, but then got worse and my symptoms came back after about 3 months. Based on recommendations from my acupuncturist, I stopped eating all raw foods and started eating to support my spleen (this includes some complex carbs), and took recommended herbs. I am not there 100% yet, but am making good progress and feeling better than I did on the strict forum diet.

Everyone’s infestation/sickness is different… You need to find what diet is right for you. Not the easiest thing to do – which I why I recommend seeing an expert. good luck.

Hi cjboy I would be really interested in the diet you mentioned, can you by anychance send me a link or so? my tongue has tethmarks around the sides of my tongue and would be interested in findingout who your doctor is, i believe in chinese medicine too so an expert opinin would be great oh im also in san francisco btw so i thonk you are too thanks in advace!!

cjtboy
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 26

Hi guys-

Ms T- yes, I was told I needed to eat a lot of ‘drying and warming’ foods, which include things like rice congees, winter squash, nagaimo yams, lots of homemade broths, etc. (things like refined sugar are still a no no) There really isn’t a diet list like in the forum, but if you search for information on TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) and food you can find a lot. Best to work with a TCM practioner to align with your specific needs, though.

The most consistent thing I heard from multiple acupuncturists (3 of them – remarkably similar findings!) and my naturopath was the strict candida diet was not good for me to keep up (I was on it for about 3 months), as I was eating so much raw/cold foods. raw foods are hard on your digestion in general – not saying they’re bad at all – they are full of vitamins etc, but cooking things does start the digestion process for you, and makes it easier on your system, especially with already weakened digestion, which I certainly have.

Some people who have what TCM calls ‘heat’ and/or ‘dryness’ may benefit from a more raw/cold diet, but I am the opposite, and have what is apparently a bad case of ‘damp coldness with phlegm’. If you’re unfamiliar with TCM, these are just concepts they use to describe what is going on with your body (not meant literally – though I do feel really cold all the time!) Hope this helps.

Toni8- I got your PM and will respond to you there!

also – want to reiterate I am not poking holes in the candida forum diet/strict diet, but rather mentioning what I have been advised is the proper course of treatment for myself right now. I have generally felt better on this new path, but did have a few bad days earlier this week – assuming it is stress related around moving this week, but not sure.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Swedish Bitters causing loose stools?’ is closed to new replies.