Support network

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Support network

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  blaire 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

healingmyself
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 4

Do any of you have a support network outside of these forums? I just feel it’s important to have friends in the same boat so that you can bounce off and support each other In day to day life. We are going through something that few people can understand or identify with. It would be really interesting hearing your stories ?
    Good luck to all (me included haha!)

Susan
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 3

Hi,
    I don’y, I’m sorry. The closest I have are my brothers that are behind me although they’re not doing this. Great idea though 🙂

Susan

alexisMCA
    Participant
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 33

Healingmyself: Great idea! I wish the boards also had private message capability be nice to have that. I am open to being in a forum that is private if someone wants to start it? alexis (at) alexismoore (dot) com is my email.

There is not enough support nor information on this topic of support and how to get doctors involved to participate with treatment and help when they are “not naturepath” doctors.

I publicly have shared my story because I feel what I experienced was bullshit and don’t want anyone else going through the hell. I can’t believe the doctors responses I have received it is scary saying stuff to me like “just live with it” etc that all started years ago when my symptoms began etc

A person has to really have thick skin and lots of grit in order to get through this and find the right providers to help. When you add in limited financial resources and a public that is uneducated it can be downright isolating and even depressing at times.

So open to any support I can get I don’t have time to reinvent the wheel and I know all of you feel the same.

healingmyself
    Participant
    Replies: 4

Hi guys, totally agree with everything you said alexis. I’ll drop you a line. The only way Ive so far managed to reach others is via Instagram which I admit actually has been really beneficial for me and I really underestimated how much it would help. (If you are on it, I’m candida.shmandida and I’ve connected with loads of others so you can just find me and add everyone!). Having people suffer the same thing and live in the same city is also a massive relief – I feel like I can go out and ‘be fussy’ with someone and not be embarrassed. Sometimes I feel like I hold up a party when we go out and there’s me querying everything, it’s been overwhelming.
    It’s been quite a journey I have to say, ups and downs when I least expect it but there’s nowhere near enough help to keep us going and so much mixed information. Would be good to connect outside of a forum and in the real world ?

alexisMCA
    Participant
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 33

Great look forward to it! Today is Day 14 of my diet changes going to the anti-candida diet but off the cleanse part too harsh for me staying on the anti-candida and with antibiotic free meats. Today I am feeling the symptoms die off detox I am calling it. I felt better yesterday but not sure what the issue is really. I knocked down the anti-fungals to just 1 caprylic and didn’t take hardly any probiotic just a trace amount and today I am feeling symptoms and yet nothing from the foods to avoid group or anything.

I am not sleeping well. I believe this is a symptom. I am fatigued but not getting a good night rest.

Look forward to staying in touch with others with this journey because it is a long term play and there are lots of tips and tricks I would rather learn from another than by experiencing the hell myself – no need to reinvent the wheel.

Look forward to connecting with you.

-Alexis

blaire
    Participant

I’d be very much interested in this as well. I’m almost a month in to the diet and treating with probiotics, enzymes and anti-fungals and haven’t seen a lick of progress yet, just a lot of feeling lousy. This illness has destroyed my life and although I have a support network of loved ones, no one really gets it. I used to be a super-fit IRONMAN athlete training upwards of 20 hours a week with plenty of energy and an enviable physique and now I can barely get off the couch and gained 20 pounds over the last year and a half despite eating clean and working out regularly (which is a real struggle given the inability to getup!). I’m thisclose to seeking out mental help for the depression this struggle has caused and could really use a network of folks who have experienced it first hand.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Blair

amandatravels
    Participant
    Replies: 1

Hey there, thanks for this post. I have been attempting the Candida Diet for a while now, but sometimes justify eating “normally” again once I start feeling good. I, too, am looking for people who are in the same boat, doing the Candida Diet, to support one another. Have you begun a group or are you just communicating here? How have your symptoms been? I feel like I have never gotten past the detox phase, but have had some relief in a less restrictive version of the diet, just cutting refined carbs and processed sugars. Ramble ramble, case and point, I am curious to know if everyone’s will power is as weak as mine! Also how you successfully avoid the foods that feed candida and stick to the good ones. I am currently on the road, backpacking Europe indefinitely, so I am really, really struggling with how to eat well, though I know it’s possible.

blaire
    Participant

Hi Amanda!

This thing sucks, huh? It’s been 2 months for me now and I think I may be starting to see some progress? Maybe? The most disconcerting symptom for me was weight gain and I’m now down about 5 pounds out of the 20 that candida caused so something must be working. I still deal with frequent upset stomach and intermittent crippling fatigue but have seen some improvement to my overall energy level as well.

I’m working with a highly specialized biochemist and his approach is a bit different from the strict Candida Diet recommended here. According to him, while there are plenty of banned foods (all fermented foods, condiments, vinegars, just about all added sugars, certain fruits, mushrooms, etc.) I am allowed to eat carbs and if faced with no alternative (like while traveling), can eat processed foods with less than 10g of sugar. In the last 2 months I have cheated a handful of times. I’ve had a few servings of sake, 1 glass of champagne, 1 cupcake, 4 cookies, and a serving of ice cream. Going through a breakup while doing this is definitely not recommended! I definitely felt it afterward, which reinforced the desire to stick with the plan.

I think the way I now have to eat is probably how I should’ve been eating all along so there will never be a return to my pre-fungus eating habits even once I recover. It’s just not healthy. All the foods and chemicals that lead to this condition are effectively toxic. The fact that we’re working towards re-gaining the ability to deal with the toxins doesn’t mean we should be consuming them. I still mourn the loss of my ability to eat dessert multiple times a day but it could be worse, right?

Ultimately, no two people are the same and there is no one size fits all healing model. I trust my doctor and it does seem to be working so maybe the less restrictive plan would be a good option for you too? Happy to talk more about exactly what it entails if you’d like 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Support network’ is closed to new replies.