Support and Weight loss

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Support and Weight loss

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  alexalgebra 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

DrewsMama
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 7

Hi All,

I was diagnosed about August last year although I have had this that I know if since 2005. Anyway, last year I went on a “yeast free diet” and I quickly realized how little support I was going to get from family and friends. People thought I had went off the deep end! I even had one of my closest family members (part of the medical society) say, “you know I have never heard of ANYONE having a “yeast intolerance of allergy”. I am concerned that you are falling into some sort of wacking new age diet or something.” Of course I have also had multiple MD’s say that the yeast is all in my head too… that is great for being supportive. MD’s are a separate hot button of mine though that I don’t want to get on a rant about.

So with all that being said we started a huge move and I fell right off the diet. I more or less was just reading ingredients to ensure it didn’t have yeast or yeast extract but that was it. A large part of this back slide was because I was living out of two of the least supportive members homes at the time while we transitioned to a new country and less control over my food. I also have a problem telling someone “no thank you” when they prepare something for me out of fear of being rude.

Has anyone else dealt with the lack of support for family and friends? Or what is for me the complete opposite of “support”?

This brings me to my next concern… the weight loss. I have only been doing the stage 2 diet so far for 7 days and have lost 4 lbs. I haven’t commenced the full protocol of the cleanse and stage one diet yet because my supplements are stuck in customs. I was hoping to start as soon as they arrive. I am concerned that I am going to loss too much weight too fast (I never thought I would ever say that in my LIFE LOL!) The thing is, I am currently at a healthy weight for my height. I am heading back to the states in April for my sisters wedding. If I come home looking emaciated my friends and family are going to have a FEILD DAY with me and this diet. Interestingly the people that are the least supportive and most critical are the ones in medical fields (lots of RN’s in my circle). I don’t want them to pressure me off the diet AGAIN!

Any advice?

mrs.candida
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 452

I’m so sorry to hear about your problem. I can tell you that most folks on here can attest to big life changes outside of a diet that need to happen for healing to take place.
    For me it was cutting out my abusive mother.
    It sounds to me like you may have some work ahead of you, surrounding what others think of you. Your health is WAY more important than others impressions of you. It’s your life and you have to do what’s best for you. MD’s are mostly doing what’s best for them. (I have similar doctor angst.)

That being said, I will go on to add that you will likely lose more weight. Even if you don’t, you could feel and look very sickly in April if your just starting now. It’s a big detox, and you feel crappy, your tired all the time, you can’t think straight, and you follow the diet perfectly and you still have symptoms. But, in 5 or 6 months time it’s all VERY worth it. You’ll see symptoms you didn’t even know were symptoms vanish. You’ll have a ton of energy, and a healthy positive attitude.

(disclaimer, the above statement is based on my personal experience, others may have healed in a much shorter time period)

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I’ve covered this topic a couple dozen times on the forum, as recently as a few days ago:

http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst6968_How-can-I-undergo-the-Candida-diet-and-not-lose-weight.aspx

If you correct your nutritional deficiencies and address leaky gut, you should be able to gain weight. You likely will continue to lose weight unless you do the candida diet.

-raster

alexalgebra
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 643

I think one really helpful thing would be to concentrate on your own health and not what others think of you. If someone has a problem with how you look or what you are or are not eating, that’s just it…it’s THEIR problem. YOUR problem is that you need to take care of yourself, however that looks. Also, I have been on restricted diets for years and refused food from tons of people, they all still like me, to the best of my knowledge 😉

DrewsMama
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 7

Hi Raster and Alex, Thank you both for your replies and for the info Raster.

Regarding the “liking me” portion… it really has little to do with people “liking me” per say. It is more of a cultural thing than anything. I was brought up that if someone takes the time to make you a meal or drink (within reason) that you eat it or drink it whether you like it or not. To simply say “no thank you” after they went out of their way for me it is considered rude. I do plan on standing my ground more this time around and just basically asking people not to worry about me eating while I am in their home. It may sound logical to just tell me to say no, but remember I am going to be staying in my MOTHER IN LAW’S home. It takes much more than just boldly saying no to your Mother in Law unless you want family angst to go along with the Candida. Hopefully I will have the will power to handle only having cold salads for a month.

As for having support. This is not an easy diet to be on by any stretch of the imagination, right? 🙂 Not having support from at least a couple family and friends is detrimental to anyone. I know for me it is largely why I am back to square one. Shoot, I am only 12 days in and my cravings for my favorite things are through the roof. Who know where those cravings will be by next month. 😛

Thankfully my will power is proving to be stronger than I ever knew it could be. My dear husbands idea of support is eating my favorite things right in front of me and just not offering me any. I just look at it as good training for what I will surely encounter in a month. 😉

alexalgebra
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 643

Yes, it’s much more difficult without supportive friends or family. 🙁 I haven’t had much support the entire time I’ve been going through this either :p My boyfriend has just finally started to come around some now, but it took a couple of discussions where I really had to lay it out to him that I’m sick even though I don’t look or seem it, and that I have to set boundaries on what is and isn’t ok for now. We eat separate meals (unless I cook :p) which bums me out, but he’s a carb/sugar fiend, so I can’t expect him to change for me. My friends have largely been unsupportive as well, most notably my best friend, who has been too obsessed with her dysfunctional relationship to listen to anything I have to say over the last year.

Essentially, I’ve had to somewhat write everybody off and just go at it on my own, but with the support of the folks here on this forum, which has been critical in helping me get as far as I have gotten. I’m also just pretty vocal about candida to everyone in my life, so they stop ignoring it and trying to give me food I can’t eat and whatnot. Everyone is tired of hearing about it, but I’m so tired of people ignoring invisible illnesses that I feel like I should speak up to raise awareness so others might not have to go through these same experiences.

Anyway, we are here for you! Stay strong 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Support and Weight loss’ is closed to new replies.