Sugar in Yogurt & Kefir?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Sugar in Yogurt & Kefir?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Miriam 6 years ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

tmi
    Topics: 13
    Replies: 34

When looking at plain yogurt and kefir at the store I noticed that they both have some sugar. But it’s natural, right? It does not appear to be listed on the ingredients as far as I can tell. Does that mean I can have it?

dvjorge
    Participant
    Topics: 283
    Replies: 1368

tmi;35300 wrote: When looking at plain yogurt and kefir at the store I noticed that they both have some sugar. But it’s natural, right? It does not appear to be listed on the ingredients as far as I can tell. Does that mean I can have it?

That sugar is normal. It is the milk lactose. The cultures present in yogurt and kefir digest the lactose. It is impossible to consume no sugar. Fat metabolizes as a sugar. The body, our cells and organs need sugar sources.

Jorge.

kodaz2005
    Topics: 37
    Replies: 172

tmi;35300 wrote: When looking at plain yogurt and kefir at the store I noticed that they both have some sugar. But it’s natural, right? It does not appear to be listed on the ingredients as far as I can tell. Does that mean I can have it?

tmi, All yogurt has sugar in it naturally. What you don’t want is any sweetened yogurt or with fruit. You want Organic Plain Yogurt. I always look for the one with the most active live cultures. I have found Oiko’s to be the best quality organic plain yogurt IMO.

In terms of Kefir, it is recommended that you make your own from Kefir Milk Grains or Kefir Water Grains. You can use Coconut milk(unsweeted), cow’s milk or goats milk for the grains. You can also by a kit like the Body Ecology Kefir kit instead of the grains. All of these options will produce better and more strains of beneficial probiotic bacteria than the store bought versions. You also have some preservatives in the store bought versions.

When you make the Kefir the Grains absorb most of the sugar in the milk.

tmi
    Topics: 13
    Replies: 34

Thanks for clarifying!

kodaz2005;35302 wrote:

When looking at plain yogurt and kefir at the store I noticed that they both have some sugar. But it’s natural, right? It does not appear to be listed on the ingredients as far as I can tell. Does that mean I can have it?

tmi, All yogurt has sugar in it naturally. What you don’t want is any sweetened yogurt or with fruit. You want Organic Plain Yogurt. I always look for the one with the most active live cultures. I have found Oiko’s to be the best quality organic plain yogurt IMO.

In terms of Kefir, it is recommended that you make your own from Kefir Milk Grains or Kefir Water Grains. You can use Coconut milk(unsweeted), cow’s milk or goats milk for the grains. You can also by a kit like the Body Ecology Kefir kit instead of the grains. All of these options will produce better and more strains of beneficial probiotic bacteria than the store bought versions. You also have some preservatives in the store bought versions.

When you make the Kefir the Grains absorb most of the sugar in the milk.

Thank you. A friend of mine was just explaining to me yesterday about how she makes her own Kefir. I am hoping to give it a try at some point.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

This is a low sugar diet and not a no sugar diet; it exists in everything and you simply cannot avoid it!

-raster

orka1998
    Participant
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 673

Home made is better as it contains less sugar and more of the good stuff in it.

Arijana

Miriam
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 61

Hi,
    If your concerned about the sugar content in milk kefir. Ferment it a second time. make your kefir as usual. Once grains and kefir are seperated – let the freshly kefir sit in a glass container for 24 hrs on the counter top. Make sure you cover the container.
    The tast will be tart but much more nutritional value.
    Miriam

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Sugar in Yogurt & Kefir?’ is closed to new replies.