storing kefir

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions storing kefir

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  orka1998 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

mariegirl
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 45

I’ve been making kefir with organic milk. Now I want to store it for a few days. Can I store it in regular Safeway brand 1% milk or does it have to be the same milk?

mariegirl

orka1998
    Participant
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 673

mariegirl wrote: I’ve been making kefir with organic milk. Now I want to store it for a few days. Can I store it in regular Safeway brand 1% milk or does it have to be the same milk?

mariegirl

Hi mariegirl,

You want to store grains or fermented kefir?

If grains, you just put them in little bit of fresh milk and leave in the fridge. Make sure to change the milk every 4 days so that they don’t go hungry. Not sure if it matters how much fat the milk you store in has. Does it have less lactose that way? Don’t think so and if I’m right than it doesn’t matter. If not then maybe you need to change milk every other day or so. If you store it in same milk too long and they go hungry, your first kefir after that may not be that good and you may need to toss the first batch. Also, if they are hungry for too long they may go bad. My advice is when your grains grow and you have extra, put them in a little plastic container, put some milk in, and then freeze them. If your current grains go bad for any reason, you just pull these out and by second or third batch you will have great kefir again.

If you are asking about storing strained kefir, you can store it in fridge for few days. Keep in mind that even though it’s in the fridge, fermentation process will continue so if you store it too long it may separate (which is OK, just stir or shake it to combine), but it also may have a stronger taste after like 24 hours so if you are sensitive about it then try to drink it within a day.

Hope this answers your question. Please let me know if not.

Arijana

mariegirl
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 45

I guess my question is that I’ve stored grains in the fridge already, but used the organic whole milk. I wondered if I could save my organic milk and go cheap on regular 1% just to store it in the fridge? I have very healthy grains. Would putting them in the freezer be too hard on them?

mariegirl

orka1998
    Participant
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 673

mariegirl wrote: I guess my question is that I’ve stored grains in the fridge already, but used the organic whole milk. I wondered if I could save my organic milk and go cheap on regular 1% just to store it in the fridge? I have very healthy grains. Would putting them in the freezer be too hard on them?

mariegirl

A while back my mom froze some grains in little milk. Not sure how long she had them in the freezer, but at least couple of years that I know of. Now that I needed kefir for my treatment, she pulled them out and in couple of days we had kefir.

I think 1% milk is fine, just check if there is a difference in amount of sugar between whole milk and 1% milk. If yes, then just change milk more often. I think whole milk you can change every 4 days or so, 5 the most, but 1% milk perhaps you would need to change every other day or third day. I used whole organic milk exclusively while living in US and occasionally I would even forget about storing kefir grains for a week and they would still be fine, but the quality of kefir would be a bit worse if I did that to often. I did not need kefir for treatment back then so I was much more casual about it.

Keep in mind not to store your grains too much. They need the food to be healthy so occasionally you may store them, but much better for them if you ferment and change milk every 24 hours. I noticed that when I get sloppy making kefir and store them to much, then my kefir looses quality. When I make it daily, kefir gets better.

Arijana

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘storing kefir’ is closed to new replies.