Stevia

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  TheChosenOne 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

stitcherman
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 8

Anyone got any feedback on weather stevia is as bad as sugar when cleansing your digestive system of bad flora?

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

No its not as bad and I don’t know why it would be.

-raster

Rabelais
    Blocked
    Replies: 268

Stevia isn’t bad in the sense that sugar is bad.

Some say that stevia is bad because it tastes sweet, and therefore it tricks the body into believing that a lot of sugar is being consumed, and hence a lot of energy is available. This may nudge the body toward the wrong behaviour.

I do not know if this reasoning is correct.

The only real problem with stevia I know about is that the maximum daily intake is quite limited. I believe it’s as low as 4 milligrams per kilogram of body weight per day. If you use stevia in only some of your food or drinks, that’s no problem. But if you use stevia for all your sweetening needs, you will easily exceed the maximum daily intake.

Rabelais

yisucks
    Participant
    Topics: 131
    Replies: 331

I’m guilty of using a lot of stevia. What’s the downside?

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Stevia is a prebiotic so should feed your beneficial bacteria…

yisucks
    Participant
    Topics: 131
    Replies: 331

Good!…and it tastes good too lol 🙂

Rabelais
    Blocked
    Replies: 268

yisucks;58704 wrote: I’m guilty of using a lot of stevia. What’s the downside?

Stevia was controversial because it was suspected to be carcinogenic. I do not know whether the question about the toxicity of stevia has been resolved by now – the carcinogenic properties of stevia were questioned a few years ago, so maybe this has been resolved by now.

The possible carcinogenic effects of stevia are still the main reason why the maximum daily intake is so low.

Another downside is the fact that it may trick the body in thinking that a lot of sugar (energy) is being consumed, while in reality almost no quick energy enters the digestive system.

Finally, all stevia products contain fillers. That is, none of them consist of 100% stevia. It depends on the producer which filler is used. Some fillers are less healthy than others.

raster;58705 wrote: Stevia is a prebiotic so should feed your beneficial bacteria…

What is a prebiotic? I only know probiotics, and stevia is definitely not a probiotic.

Could you please explain what you intended saying?

Rabelais

TheChosenOne
    Participant
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 410

Rabelais;58715 wrote: Stevia was controversial because it was suspected to be carcinogenic. I do not know whether the question about the toxicity of stevia has been resolved by now – the carcinogenic properties of stevia were questioned a few years ago, so maybe this has been resolved by now.

Everything is carinogenic these days, so nothing to worry about :).

Rabelais;58715 wrote: Finally, all stevia products contain fillers. That is, none of them consist of 100% stevia. It depends on the producer which filler is used. Some fillers are less healthy than others.

You really have to be careful with this. Inulin and erythritol seem to be rather safe.
    A lot of ‘stevia’ consist mainly of maltodextrine. Be sure to check the ingredients!

Rabelais;58715 wrote: What is a prebiotic? I only know probiotics, and stevia is definitely not a probiotic.

According to Wikipedia: Prebiotics are non-digestible fiber compounds that pass undigested through the upper part of the gastrointestinal tract and stimulate the growth and/or activity of advantageous bacteria that colonize the large bowel by acting as substrate for them.

In my experience prebiotics are more effective than probiotics, simply because prebiotics pass through the bowels undigested where as most probiotics don’t even reach the bowels.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Stevia’ is closed to new replies.