Starving

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Javizy 7 years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

xday2dazex
    Topics: 81
    Replies: 108

Hey, so I was just wondering what people eat to stay full on this diet. I bought $140 worth of groceries like 4 days ago and they’re almost half way gone. I can’t find anything that will fill me up for more than a couple hours and I’m blowing through tons of money and stealing food from work to sustain myself. Chicken seems to be the only thing that really works but I only have it twice a week, and buckwheat really worked good before, but I had a slip a week ago so it’s gonna be a while before I can try it again. Any suggestions?

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

xday2dazex wrote: Hey, so I was just wondering what people eat to stay full on this diet. I bought $140 worth of groceries like 4 days ago and they’re almost half way gone. I can’t find anything that will fill me up for more than a couple hours and I’m blowing through tons of money and stealing food from work to sustain myself. Chicken seems to be the only thing that really works but I only have it twice a week, and buckwheat really worked good before, but I had a slip a week ago so it’s gonna be a while before I can try it again. Any suggestions?

You can eat several slices of the coconut flour bread every day, very filling.

Adding extra oil and advocados to your diet helps as well.

A boiled egg and a slice of the bread is perfect for in-between-meal snacks.

How long have you been on the diet?

You know, if you could add up all the money you were spending on junk day by day, and all the money spent on eating out, you might be surprised.

Able

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

The diet is very expensive and I pay about $100 per week in groceries. Its the price you have to pay for being unhealthy all of these years and for eating healthy now in general. A good trick to reduce costs is to look for sales on stuff; for instance, the bob’s red mill products went on sale this week at my local store so I stocked up for the next month or two. Saved $10+. I eat the jumbo eggs which are bigger for the same price.

-raster

wishnhope
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 80

kefir, hardboiled eggs, coconut bread, pumpkin muffins: total fill me up staples (i have a piece of coconut bread and a mini pumpkin muffin most days). I’ve also been loving celery with tahini and cucumbers with apple cider vinegar on them. It feels like I’m eating more with the toppings lol.

Himawari
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 65

I will second that the hunger sucks. The only time I felt full and satisfied these past few months was when I slipped up and ate a bunch of chestnuts (made the mistake of eating them and then doing research into their nutritional facts. Oops).

Buckwheat and millet are my go-to items (I eat the cooked groats). Adding a crazy amount of spices to all my foods (esp. garlic) also helps. Also good are sauteed eggplant and green bell pepper, as well as turnip root (shredded/chopped and sauteed in oil like you might make hash browns or potato latkes). Kefir can be a good meal-topper, and recently I’ve been finishing my meals off with tea. For between meals, I find hot water does a pretty good job of making me feel full-ish. But really, the most important thing is to never eat a protein item (eggs, chicken, fish) by itself. Always always always have some kind of veggie with it, the more the better. I find eating a few bites of the protein item, followed by some salad, then a few more bites of the protein item, more salad, etc. works way better than devouring the protein item and then attempting to eat the whole salad after the fact. Chicken is good for this, because it goes well with the salad (meaning both can be consumed in the same mouthful).

There are always days when I forget my own advice, and end up breaking down and eating three servings of chicken at once…

But really, the best thing you can do to fight the hunger is to forget about it. I was really into an art project a few weeks back, and practically had to set an alarm clock so I’d remember to eat. Exercise works great too, and the more intense the better. I like running, but stair climbing is also great, because it’s a quick workout and can be done in almost any outfit (and doesn’t make you look like a sweaty, disheveled mess afterwards), making it a good choice for school, the office, or home (esp. for anyone living in a tall apartment building). Just be sure not to eat anything immediately following the exercise, otherwise that’ll become a habit.

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

Camomile tea seems to help suppress my appetite in the evening. Eating smaller meals more regularly is a good idea too. If you leave 4-5 hours between meals, you’re so hungry that you eat a lot more (and probably faster too), but then you’re hungry 1-2 hours later.

You need to make sure there’s some fat and/or protein in every meal too; something like plain celery or cucumber will do nothing to suppress appetite-inducing hormones. If you have a salad, put at least 2tbsp of olive oil on it and try to include an avocado and an egg or some fish as well. Olives are about 10% fat and contain a few carbs too.

If you’re getting enough calories and keeping your blood sugar stable, your appetite should remain stable too. When I tried Greek yoghurt, though, my appetite went out of control and I was craving it for 3-4 days even though it messed me up pretty badly. If you find yourself craving any particular food, you might want to think about that.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Starving’ is closed to new replies.