Stage 1 Coconut crumb cakes

Home The Candida Forum Foods & Recipe Ideas Snacks & Treats Stage 1 Coconut crumb cakes

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Lauren 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Summer
    Topics: 14
    Replies: 43

These are so delicious and not too hard to make. The great thing about this coconut flour recipe is there aren’t too many eggs (I eat so many eggs everyday, the thought of putting 9 into bread makes me cry)

INGREDIENTS:
    1 cup coconut flour
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon cinnamon
    1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger (juice and pulp)

1 tablespoon coconut oil
    1 egg
    1 cup water

Tools:
    large and small mixing bowl, small glass bowl, mixer, frying pan, spatula, fork

First 1st put the coconut oil in the small glass bowl and heat up until it’s a liquid

Next, put the flour, salt and cinnamon in the large bowl and mix with a fork.

Beat the egg on low for about 2 minutes, this will help make coconut flour to be as fluffy as it can be.

Add the oil and the ginger to the egg and beat for 30 seconds.

Add the oil/egg/ginger and water to the flour and mix with a fork.

This will be incredibly crumbly and you’ll think you’ve done it wrong. You haven’t.

Grab some dough about 1.5-2″ and start flattening in your hand. Sometimes a corner will break off, just put it back on. Think Playdoh.

Next, on a floured board or table flatten your cake a little more (mine are usually 1/2″ thick. Make sure you don’t push too hard in one place, flatten a little and move it around (they will stick)

Heat your frying pan (low heat)
    add about 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil.

Again, these are fragile so pick them up with a spatula and place in the frying pan.

I usually do about 4-5 minutes per side.

When they move freely in the pan their typically ready to flip.

Flipping is tricky. I gently pick up with the spatula and put my hand on the uncooked side, then flip so my hand is on the bottom and the spatula is on the top, then I put the cake on the spatula and set back in the pan.

These are great fresh but also freeze well, reheat with a toaster over or microwave.

Check out my blog for the savory counter part and pictures.

http://candidacooks.blogspot.com/2012/02/savory-coconut-cakes.html

CT
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 63

These cakes sound really nice, I was trying to think of a cake recipe without using stevia and could not think of anything so thank you! Do you think the recipe would still taste nice without the ginger as I cannot eat this?

Also very glad that they do not need many eggs it is getting expensive buying so many.

Summer

CT,

Keep in mind, these aren’t really like Cake more like little biscuits but delicious non the less, if you haven’t already, check out my recipe blog:
    http://candidacooks.blog…vory-coconut-cakes.html

and you can see what they’ll look like.

I think they’ll be fine with out the ginger, the ginger just gives it a little kick.
    You could instead maybe add some fresh ground pepper, just a little to give it that “spice” try making half the batch with just cinnamon and then half with a little fresh ground pepper. See what you like.

Enjoy.

CT
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 63

Oh, they look a bit like the chapatis I make. The cinnamon and egg will make them taste a bit different though, something to eat on pancake day so I don’t feel left out…

Lauren
    Topics: 44
    Replies: 267

Summer wrote:
    1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger (juice and pulp)

Summer this sound great! I also like the idea of less eggs 😀 I have a question and it is probably silly, but where do you find ginger juice or pulp?
    Thank you
    Lauren

Summer

I grate my own, I just wanted to make it clear that as your grating let those ginger juices flow into the bowl. 🙂 I think it makes the whole concoction more moist vs. powdered ginger.

Lauren
    Topics: 44
    Replies: 267

Thanks Summer !!! 😀

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Stage 1 Coconut crumb cakes’ is closed to new replies.