sour beer and candida

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions sour beer and candida

This topic contains 11 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  alexalgebra 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

kevinthedrake
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 0

so I am a beer geek and really missing beer! I also really enjoy sour beers (e.g. lambics), many of which are fermented with lactobaccilus, the same bacteria that ferments yogurt. Most of the sour beers out there have VERY little sugar remaining after fermentation (the bacteria are tenacious), and I’m wondering if these types of sour beers are beneficial (or at least not detrimental) to killing candida. Anyone out there have any information or insights on this?

Here’s to hoping!

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Unless someone on the forum has tried this, it’s anybody’s guess as far as whether it would be a problem or not with a Candida infestation. Logically, if the beer contains about the same amount of sugar as what’s left after the fermentation of homemade kefirs, then it may not present a problem, but the only way to know for certain would be to test it.

Sorry I can’t give a definite reply, Able.

Marbro
    Topics: 19
    Replies: 252

I am interested in sour beer. You have information on how to make it or where to get it?

Jackie2
    Participant
    Topics: 57
    Replies: 197

You should see my eyes light up….I was walking down the beer isle with hubby today and said…Oh how I would love a cold one….before I die…..here is to hope 🙂

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Jackie2 wrote: You should see my eyes light up….I was walking down the beer isle with hubby today and said…Oh how I would love a cold one….before I die…..here is to hope 🙂

LOL Jackie. So who’s our guinea? Lucy maybe?

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

This is a good documentary about beer and yeast:

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/how-beer-saved-the-world/

It’s also on netflix.

Based on what I saw in this movie, they used to use beer as a “medicine” in ancient times and it was the only thing people drank pretty much. It cured a whole bunch of ailments in the dark ages.

-raster

Lucylu
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 345

Able900 wrote:

You should see my eyes light up….I was walking down the beer isle with hubby today and said…Oh how I would love a cold one….before I die…..here is to hope 🙂

LOL Jackie. So who’s our guinea? Lucy maybe?

Oy!! I heard that!! And NO I won’t be your guinea pig… can’t stand the taste of any kind of beer, sour or otherwise! Now if you’re offering a chilled glass of Chardonnay then I’m your girl!! Of course, in the name of medical research…

Marbro
    Topics: 19
    Replies: 252

Here is a couple of solid Brewing companies in the Pacific Northwest that do sour beer.

http://cascadebrewingbarrelhouse.com/history.asp

http://www.allagash.com/about/

yogajedi
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 43

Kevin,

I used to brew beer before starting the candida protocol. I’ve been hard at work on developing a candida-safe variation involving water kefir, specific type of candida-safe sugar, hop tea, and a small amount of roasted chicory. I’ll let you know if it turns out : )

If fruit juice kefir is candida-safe (anyone know?), it may be quite easy to approximate a lindemans frambroise, by making raspberry/sugar “water” kefir and adding a small amount of hop tea.

I like your idea about the sour beer, but these, at least when home brewed, end up having some level of mold (I have recipes where they specifically state to skim any mold off the top before continuing). Also, even though the residual sugar level is very low, wouldn’t the alcohol still be problematic for candida overgrowth?

I’m with you on missing beer! Pizza and beer.

Brett

alexalgebra
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 643

I believe alcohol might also present a problem though, right?

Although my water kefir, to be honest, tastes like beer to me! I let it ferment extra long to eat the sugar up, and it gets a bit alcoholic for sure. It doesn’t taste like beer-beer, but more like a Mike’s hard lemonade sort of thing. (I haven’t had a drink in 6 years, and I was pretty strictly a hard alcohol guy, so pardon my lack of articulation on the topic, LOL)

I brew my water kefir with organic dark brown sugar and organic molasses. I would not trust it with fruit juice added on the second ferment though (and it shouldn’t be added on the first.)

yogajedi
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 43

Alex,

Why wouldn’t you use fruit juice in a primary fermentation? Is coconut water ok, or is sugar water really the only candida-safe option for water kefir?

Thanks!

Brett

alexalgebra
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 643

See my reply in your other post about candida-safe foods, regarding the fruit juice. Just my opinion!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘sour beer and candida’ is closed to new replies.