Some questions

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Some questions

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  raster 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Just_Me
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 0

Hi!

I have some Candida-related questions that I would really appreciate some help on. This is my first post on the forum, so I apologise if some of the stuff I’m asking has been asked before.

A little bit about me: I am a 28-year old male and have had a coated tongue for more than half of my life. It bothers me immensely, because it causes me to have a dry mouth often, and a horrible, morning breath like taste in my mouth on a pretty regular basis. This has developed into something of a shame complex for me, where I am chronically worried that I have bad breath around people (halitophobia). It only landed about a month ago that this probably was Candida (I have a number of other symptoms that fit the bill), after my GP had assured me years ago that it wasn’t – “it’s simply something you have; not a problem” etc.

The process of discovering the root cause of my symptoms – I’m still not sure that I have – has been long and incredibly frustrating. Two weeks ago I had a long holiday and decided to start the the anti-Candida diet. I did some research into allowed and non-allowed foods, bought an anti-fungal and a probiotic from a renowned supplier and just sort of launched into it. I made it to day three of the diet, sticking rigidly to every thing I wasn’t allowed to have, but I’ve run into a couple of problems:

First off, I find it immensely difficult to spend this much time thinking about and planning my food intake. I obviously have some kind of resistance committing to an issue which is as big as this. Does anyone have any tips on how to make this easier for me? How do you succeed in following a rigid diet like this?

My second question is related: as mentioned, I have a social phobia. Social phobia trigger a lot of anxiety, which then requires some sort of comfort. I am not obese and I do not have a severely unhealthy relationship with food; I do use food (amongst other things) for comfort at times when I am emotionally low / tired / bored. There’s a couple of things I’m finding very difficult to let go of:

1. The desire to stuff myself with food / binge sessions

2. A few alcoholic beverages from time to time

3. Coffee

4. Cigarettes

I realise all these are big no-no’s on the anti-Candida diet. Quitting all these is like going cold turkey on every single thing I use to cope with life’s stressors, and living with a social phobia, I can tell you, I have more than a few.

I feel like I’m stuck in a loop: my eating patterns may be causing my symptoms, which stress me out (the coated tongue did become less during the holiday), while the negative experience of the symptoms triggers me to eat / drink / smoke / binge, which then causes more symptoms.

Any help is appreciated!

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Well the coffee and cigs aren’t the end of the world, you can still get better with these from my experience, I smoked first 2-3 years of diet.  The coffee is actually slightly worse than cigs mostly because it is upsetting your digestion, etc.  If you don’t quit these its not the end of the world.

The alcohol is by far the worse and I would try to save it for special occasions if possible.

If you want to stuff yourself with food, there are some good things you can bake like gluten free cookies, etc.  You can even make sugar free ones from scratch.

What a lot of people don’t understand is that this is a very complex health problem that requires a lot of money spent on it, time, and commitment.  It’ll take as long as 6-18 months to get better and typically requires professional help and a lot of supplements.  I personally spend about $200-300 on supplements per month and go to a naturopath every 3 weeks for consultation and acupuncture.  It’s very hard to treat yourself and the diet plus probiotics and an antifungal is typically not enough to get better from my experience.

-raster

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Some questions’ is closed to new replies.