Some queries about reintroducing…

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Some queries about reintroducing…

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Lucylu 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Lucylu
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 345

Able,

I know i’m only starting (and very slowly & carefully) to re-introduce new things but I was wondering if there’s any sequence you would recommend? I’ve had blood sugar issues so will avoid an apple for a while so maybe some different veg first? Like peas or snap peas? O should it be some other meats? Or tiny amount of rice? I just want to get it right!! Also…

Coffee – if I washed & ground my own coffee beans and used it straight away… and only about once a week? Very naughty?

Milk – as I have no problem with kefir or greek yoghurt then would a very tiny splash of milk in my naughty cup of coffee be ok?

Nuts – If I soaked almonds and blast roasted in coconut oil & himalayan salt would this be ok from time to time?

Corn – I think I remember reading you have a big issue with corn? Why exactly? Cornflour would be very handy to use to thicken gravy/ casserole.

Rice – I might try a small amount of basmati soon. What about rice cakes/ crackers? Also a lot of the buckwheat products like pasta & pancake mix have rice flour – how long should I wait until I try this?

Cheese – my natural doctor (yes that very knowledgable one!) said Edam (or other very young cheese was ok. Is this rubbish?

Potatoes – are these always out or is a tiny amount from time to time ok?

I have no problem never eating any Wheat or processed products again… I was never a burger or donut kinda girl thankfully! But I would like to work towards a more varied diet going forward so any help would be much appreciated.

BUT will I always get a rection to a food that will feed my candida? I would just hate to be inadvertantly nurturing my yeast without knowing it. Is this possible or will I always have a reaction? Is the only way of ever fully gauranteeing no return of candida to stage on Stage 1 indefinitely?

Thanks,

Lucylu

PLEASE NOTE
    Before anyone reading this goes rushing out to try all of these things – I remind you that I’ve done the bowel cleanse + 4 weeks on stage 1 with absolutely no cheats + every antifungal/ supplement/ detox activity in Ables protocol. I have been retested for yeast levels and have seen huge improvement (practically normal) and have been symptom free for a while. These items I query would be brought in 1 by 1 with several days in between, watching for the return of any symptoms.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I myself drink coffee once a week with a bit of half and half, so I don’t think its the end of the world. The main benefit from it is that it helps clean out the colon (big stools). I’d say once a week is OK. My body was able to handle it this amount and no more.

The nuts I would save for later if possible. I had quite a big reaction to them 4 months into the diet and couldn’t handle almond butter until month 5 pretty much. You might be on a different timeline than me; I would just say add these in when you feel strong and have no reactions.

Corn and rice I would place into the grain category and should be added in last along with dairy. However, you might want to consider adding red/black rice and wild rice because they have health benefits and you may not have had these ever in your lifetime (thus no allergies). I believe they contain less starch as well when compared to brown/white rice. Rotate with buckwheat and/or quinoa if possible and eat just about 2 times per week.

Cheese I would place in the same category as grains and would add this last.

Potatoes I would consider trying out just once a week, and moving up to twice a week in time. I would not overdo it and only continue eating if you notice no drawbacks whatsoever (or reaction). I still reacted to potatoes 4 months into diet, but after month 5 I had no reaction.

You won’t always get an allergic reaction to not allowed foods…it takes a long time to get over these sensitivities. For me this has been 5 months for almost everything. I still have slight reactions to dairy, molds, wheat/grains, and sugar…this will take a long to to get over.

I have a feeling able will cringe to my suggestions, but if you are moving onto phase 2, I would eat these things sparingly like I have suggested.

Another food item to consider adding in is (bob’s red mill) oat bran and eat it twice a week or so.

-Raster

Lucylu

Superb, thanks for the advice Raster. As I said I’ll take it slow and will listen to my body. I’ve no intention of rushing into things and ruining all my good work! I’m surprised at you saying spuds are (potentially) ok twice a week. Despite being irish I’ve never eaten a lot of potato! I far prefer basmati rice so look forward to trying black rice – I have some in the cupboard that I bought early before realising I should hold off, I’ve had wild rice a few times and love it.

Whats half and half? Is it dairy or non dairy? Do you use coffee grains or granules. Before my diagnosis I couldn’t tolerate instant at all but really enjoyed a good strong brew of the real stuff!

I’ll hold off on the other bits as per your advice and we’ll wait to see what Able suggests!

Its reassuring that you’re able to eat so many things at 5 months. And I’m assuming your case was more sever than mine so hopefully I’ll manage something similar.

Cheers,

Lx

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Hey there, Lucy. So you’ve got your guns loaded, huh. =)

Quote: I know i’m only starting (and very slowly & carefully) to re-introduce new things but I was wondering if there’s any sequence you would recommend? I’ve had blood sugar issues so will avoid an apple for a while so maybe some different veg first? Like peas or snap peas? O should it be some other meats? Or tiny amount of rice? I just want to get it right!!

Reply: Lucy, apples have a glycemic index score of 36, and Granny Smith apples are even lower. These would be a perfect ‘first add’ food if you’d like to try them. But start with only one small slice for about two days to see if there’s a reaction. If you prefer, you could start with a small part of a yam or a little of the brown basmati or even a few ‘blasted’ nuts.

Quote: Coffee – if I washed & ground my own coffee beans and used it straight away… and only about once a week? Very naughty?

Reply: Coffee, especially the way you’re talking about preparing it, should be fine once or twice a week now.

Quote: Milk – as I have no problem with kefir or greek yoghurt then would a very tiny splash of milk in my naughty cup of coffee be ok?

Reply: I would go with either almond milk or coconut milk first. If neither works out for you, then maybe you have no choice but to use regular milk. Just be aware of how much the Candida love dairy foods. Kefir and yogurt are very different from plain milk as most of the milk sugar is ‘eaten’ during the fermentation of the kefir.

Quote: Nuts – If I soaked almonds and blast roasted in coconut oil & himalayan salt would this be ok from time to time?

Reply: Blast roasting should remove any mold that the nuts have, so I’m going to say yes, it should be alright (that is if blast roasting is what I think it is).

Quote: Corn – I think I remember reading you have a big issue with corn? Why exactly? Cornflour would be very handy to use to thicken gravy/ casserole.

Reply: Yes I do have a problem with corn used in any way, shape or form as the saying goes.
    I’m also embarrassed to say that corn is the most abundant grain produced in America, and amazingly, the worst grain available. For this fact I hang my head in shame.
    Not only does corn have the worst fatty acid profile (Omega-6 to Omega-3 ratio) of any other grain, but it’s also the host to over 20 different types of fungi. Some of these fungi put out debilitating mycotoxins (metabolites which are capable of causing diseases that lead to death) that have killed both animals and people.
    Adding to this bad news, corn also contains a rather large amount of something called ‘lectin’ (not lecithin) To understand lectin (sugar-binding proteins containing sugar chains), look at it as a key that fits a lock that contains a specific type of carbohydrate. If a lectin containing the right key comes in contact with a ‘lock’ on the gut wall or an artery or gland it can literally open the “lock” at which time it disrupts the membrane and damages the cell and can actually initiate a flood of immune and autoimmune actions which lead to the death of cells. This is as bad as it sounds when you’re looking at these so-called ‘locks’ being ingested on a daily or even semi-daily basis. In research studies, lectins show a resistance to stomach acid and digestive enzymes so they can bind to the intestinal wall and damage the wall lining, and they can alter gut permeability as well as pass through the wall into general circulation. If you think it sounds like I’m describing what Candida albicans can do in the human intestines, you’re right. These alterations in function of the intestines have been related to colitis, Crohn’s Disease, Celiac-Sprue, IBS and gut permeability. We would all be much better off if corn had never been grown for human consumption.

Quote: Rice – I might try a small amount of basmati soon. What about rice cakes/ crackers? Also a lot of the buckwheat products like pasta & pancake mix have rice flour – how long should I wait until I try this?

Reply: I would try brown basmati first, and wait a few more weeks to try anything containing rice flour unless it’s brown rice bran flour (looks like flour but it’s called bran).

Quote: Cheese – my natural doctor (yes that very knowledgable one!) said Edam (or other very young cheese was ok. Is this rubbish?

Reply: If I were going to try to add cheese, Hard Colby Edam would be among my first few choices.

Quote: Potatoes – are these always out or is a tiny amount from time to time ok?
    Reply: I would try yams first and leave white potatoes (or any other white starch) alone for a really, really long time.

Quote: I have no problem never eating any wheat or processed products again… I was never a burger or donut kinda girl thankfully! But I would like to work towards a more varied diet going forward so any help would be much appreciated.

Reply: Lucy, I can’t bring myself to tell a member to try something that I know I’ll never do myself. I never plan on eating wheat in any form again. It contains lectin (remember the corn?) for one thing, for another, thousands of people suffer from allergies caused by wheat without a clue of what’s causing the allergies.

Quote: BUT will I always get a rection to a food that will feed my candida? I would just hate to be inadvertantly nurturing my yeast without knowing it. Is this possible or will I always have a reaction?

Reply: Being completely honest, I have to say that whether or not you’ll continue to receive a reaction to any food that feed the Candida is yet to be seen. We’re all different, so really no one can answer that for you.

Quote: Is the only way of ever fully gauranteeing no return of candida to stage on Stage 1 indefinitely?

Reply: It’s possible for a Candida sufferer to eventually go back to eating all the foods that they’ve avoided, but if they begin adding these foods every day, a few times a day, then it’s a sure bet that the Candida will eventually multiply again and return to their fungal form. The problem with eating a lot of these foods is that we tend to leave the really healthy and beneficial ones out more and more as we add these other foods.
    However, I believe that once a person appears to be completely cured, they can add certain foods in reasonable amounts — and this is important — as long as the foods that are added do not prevent one from eating a healthful diet. This just means that all foods added should be done so with the intention of benefiting your health and not for pure enjoyment. Yeah, I know, what a drag I am. But an example are yams, these are often used as a dessert in the states (baked with sugar , crushed nuts, and cinnamon, yet they’re an extremely healthy food. Nuts, seeds, unsweetened jams, and certain fruits can also be eaten weekly as long as it isn’t to the extreme. In other words, nothing about the new diet should be overdone, meaning no extremes (unless we’re talking about vegetables).

By the way, dried beans are something you could try soon, again, small amounts to begin with. And these are a great way to continue avoiding too much meat protein in the diet.

Able

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

One thing I wanted to add lucy, is that you should only introduce these foods once you are pretty much “symptom free.” If you get any kind of strong reaction after trying any of these, then stop for another month or so and then try it again. If you still don’t feel 100% but maybe 80%, I’d wait a little bit longer.

The main thing you don’t want to do is to get the candida going again, and then you will have to restart the diet. I would approach things one at a time and don’t intoduce them all at once.

-Raster

Lucylu

Thanks guys – I read your posts on Friday but didn’t have time to respond. All wise words as usual but unfortunately I’ll be waiting a while longer to introduce even the tiniest thing. I’ll start a new thread…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Some queries about reintroducing…’ is closed to new replies.