Small bowel bacterial overgrowth

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Small bowel bacterial overgrowth

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Thomas 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Jmb
    Topics: 24
    Replies: 18

Docter seems to think i may have this & wants to treat me with antibiotics 🙁 ,I have read that probiotics may not be a good idea if u have a bacterial overgrowth as the small intestine is already overgrown with bacteria and that the small intestine should be virtally free of bacteria good & bad ,So my question is should i be taking any precautions if i do decide to take the antibiotics for my yeast infection not to get any worse then already is.Any advice much appreciated

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

It is also called SIBO. There has been many people on the forum that have had this and I would click the search button in upper right hand corner.

-raster

Thomas
    Topics: 71
    Replies: 605

Jmb;30666 wrote: Docter seems to think i may have this & wants to treat me with antibiotics 🙁 ,I have read that probiotics may not be a good idea if u have a bacterial overgrowth as the small intestine is already overgrown with bacteria and that the small intestine should be virtally free of bacteria good & bad ,So my question is should i be taking any precautions if i do decide to take the antibiotics for my yeast infection not to get any worse then already is.Any advice much appreciated

Hi mate,
    what means seems to think? This question applies to candida too. We should not act on a thought and feeling only. Search first, run tests in the lab, get the answers and apply the right action.

You have to get a hydrogene and methane gas breath test. There are few places where you can do a real test which are meassuring both att the same time. The normal test involves a baseline breath sample, after which you should be given a sugar syrup followed by breath samples every 15 to 30 minutes for at least 90 minutes but preferably for 3 hours. If this is not happening then there is a reason to be concerned about the quality of your breath test.

Lets say you really have SIBO. Then there is a great antibiotic called Rifaximin. That is staying for over 90 percent in the guts only and only affecting that area. If he wants to give you a antibiotic for SIBO take only that or Neomycin.

As a alternative you can skipp antibiotic and eat for two weeks Vivonex. It is an over-the-counter nutritional suppplement. With this your body gets everything it needs but the bacteria gets nothing. After two weeks the bacterial overgrowth is gone. Its expensive so a two weeks supply cost about 450 dollar. Anyhow in that way you dont need to take antibiotics. This is the program done for SIBO at the cedars-sinai medical center. I highly recommend the book A new IBS solution – Mark Pimentel, MD. He is the leading scientist and MD for SIBO and you can read a lot about the bacteria and SIBO in his book.

There is a reason a person has SIBO and you will have to find out why you have it. Otherwise it will come back again and again. For a good longtime diet I reccomend the book Breaking the vicious cycle intestinal health through diet by Elaine Gottschall. Amazing knowleadge in that book about sugars and how to heal the guts.

all the best and hope it answers you some.
    yours
    Thomas

Jmb

Thomas;30683 wrote:

Docter seems to think i may have this & wants to treat me with antibiotics 🙁 ,I have read that probiotics may not be a good idea if u have a bacterial overgrowth as the small intestine is already overgrown with bacteria and that the small intestine should be virtally free of bacteria good & bad ,So my question is should i be taking any precautions if i do decide to take the antibiotics for my yeast infection not to get any worse then already is.Any advice much appreciated

Hi mate,
    what means seems to think? This question applies to candida too. We should not act on a thought and feeling only. Search first, run tests in the lab, get the answers and apply the right action.

You have to get a hydrogene and methane gas breath test. There are few places where you can do a real test which are meassuring both att the same time. The normal test involves a baseline breath sample, after which you should be given a sugar syrup followed by breath samples every 15 to 30 minutes for at least 90 minutes but preferably for 3 hours. If this is not happening then there is a reason to be concerned about the quality of your breath test.

Lets say you really have SIBO. Then there is a great antibiotic called Rifaximin. That is staying for over 90 percent in the guts only and only affecting that area. If he wants to give you a antibiotic for SIBO take only that or Neomycin.

As a alternative you can skipp antibiotic and eat for two weeks Vivonex. It is an over-the-counter nutritional suppplement. With this your body gets everything it needs but the bacteria gets nothing. After two weeks the bacterial overgrowth is gone. Its expensive so a two weeks supply cost about 450 dollar. Anyhow in that way you dont need to take antibiotics. This is the program done for SIBO at the cedars-sinai medical center. I highly recommend the book A new IBS solution – Mark Pimentel, MD. He is the leading scientist and MD for SIBO and you can read a lot about the bacteria and SIBO in his book.

There is a reason a person has SIBO and you will have to find out why you have it. Otherwise it will come back again and again. For a good longtime diet I reccomend the book Breaking the vicious cycle intestinal health through diet by Elaine Gottschall. Amazing knowleadge in that book about sugars and how to heal the guts.

all the best and hope it answers you some.
    yours
    Thomas

Thanks ever so much for this information , What are your thoughts on probiotics with Sibo ? also would the vivonex diet plus Rifaximin be even better as my docter is willing to presribe me a antibiotic ? How does rifaximin compare to flagyl(metronidazole) as that was the antibiotic he suggested ? The vivonex might be abit expensive for me but have looked up the ingredients and can get them in bulk at myprotein.co.uk would that still be ok ? Once again thanks for taking your time to post. j

Thomas

I would not take another one than Rifaximin. About mixing your own Vivonex I cant say much. If you believe you get it done why not. I am a bit of a chicken with that. 😉
    Have you done the breath test yet? I dont take Pro-biotics but I am mixed about them. I know that you need a placeholder after you got rid of the bacteria. If there is no bacteria you might get problems with candida taking that place. So, I really dont know yet myself. I only know that I feel worse eating pro-biotics, fibre and all pre-biotics too.

yours
    thomas

Jmb

Thomas;30688 wrote: I would not take another one than Rifaximin. About mixing your own Vivonex I cant say much. If you believe you get it done why not. I am a bit of a chicken with that. 😉
    Have you done the breath test yet? I dont take Pro-biotics but I am mixed about them. I know that you need a placeholder after you got rid of the bacteria. If there is no bacteria you might get problems with candida taking that place. So, I really dont know yet myself. I only know that I feel worse eating pro-biotics, fibre and all pre-biotics too.

yours
    thomas

Thats exacly what im like when i take probiotics make me feel so sick when i take them same with prebiotics and fibers ,I have had a lactulose breath test done few months ago my highest blow was at 1hr in and was at 16ppm all my docter said was that it is normal but because of my symtoms and having trouble digesting fat he seems to think its still a possibility that i could still have it and wants to treat it with antibiotics which i am thinking of doing with the elemental diet at the same time to give my bowel some rest aswell

Thomas

Jmb;30692 wrote:

I would not take another one than Rifaximin. About mixing your own Vivonex I cant say much. If you believe you get it done why not. I am a bit of a chicken with that. 😉

yours
    thomas

Thats exacly what im like when i take probiotics make me feel so sick when i take them same with prebiotics and fibers ,I have had a lactulose breath test done few months ago my highest blow was at 1hr in and was at 16ppm all my docter said was that it is normal but because of my symtoms and having trouble digesting fat he seems to think its still a possibility that i could still have it and wants to treat it with antibiotics which i am thinking of doing with the elemental diet at the same time to give my bowel some rest aswell

Thats interesting. I too have problems digesting fat. I hardly eat fibre still I have gas and my stool is floating. I guess its the undigested fats which makes it float. My trouble is that I am here in Sweden and I dont get the right antibiotic and dont have a MD who supports me. I have to put my hope on the diet.

One thing I havent tried yet and that is to put more acid and peptine into my stomach. There is one possibility that we got more bacteria in the small intestines is that we have to little stomach acid. Peptines are needed to break down fat. So it would be good to test that. Imagen that this would fix the problem. How wonderful that would be 🙂

Good luck my friend!
    yours
    thomas

Jmb

Thomas;30722 wrote:

yours
    thomas

Thats interesting. I too have problems digesting fat. I hardly eat fibre still I have gas and my stool is floating. I guess its the undigested fats which makes it float. My trouble is that I am here in Sweden and I dont get the right antibiotic and dont have a MD who supports me. I have to put my hope on the diet.

One thing I havent tried yet and that is to put more acid and peptine into my stomach. There is one possibility that we got more bacteria in the small intestines is that we have to little stomach acid. Peptines are needed to break down fat. So it would be good to test that. Imagen that this would fix the problem. How wonderful that would be 🙂

Good luck my friend!
    yours
    thomas

Hi mate ,Fat malabsorbtion is one of the main reasons why my docter is treating me with antibiotics as it is one of the main symptoms of Sibo ,Do you think the maltodextrin in vivonex is ok for the Sibo also what other carbs would be safe do u think as i have lost alot of weight already so dont really wanna go completly carb free as also can not absorb fat very well

Thomas

Jmb;30783 wrote:

yours
    thomas

Good luck my friend!
    yours
    thomas

Hi mate ,Fat malabsorbtion is one of the main reasons why my docter is treating me with antibiotics as it is one of the main symptoms of Sibo ,Do you think the maltodextrin in vivonex is ok for the Sibo also what other carbs would be safe do u think as i have lost alot of weight already so dont really wanna go completly carb free as also can not absorb fat very well

Hi mate,
    read my other post about the same stuff, I gave much advice there, in:

http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst5854_Feeling-terrible-after-eating-the-same-thing-I-always-eat.aspx

There I was talking about carbs and sugars too. You will see that Vivonex will be ok for you as your body will get what it needs pre-digested. Read my other post and see if it answeres you if not pop me anothe post and I will answer you what is missing for you.

all the best to you!
    yours
    thomas

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Small bowel bacterial overgrowth’ is closed to new replies.