Salmon

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Javizy 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

scottishgirl
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 14

Hi,
    I was wondering about the different types of salmon. I don’t think we get sockeye salmon in the UK and I was wondering if I’m allowed British salmon on the diet. Also, tuna isn’t allowed, is it?

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

I think any fish is okay as long as it’s wild and preferably a young type of fish. Farmed fish are fed trash, including antibiotics, and swim around in their own waste. You should be able to find some wild Alaskan salmon in the freezer at the supermarket. I’m not so sure about fresh, but it’s not actually fresh anyway, is it? They freeze it when it’s caught and then defrost it at the fish counter, so I don’t see the difference in buying it straight from the freezer myself.

Lucylu
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 345

Yes, you can buy frozen wild alaskan salmon in bags frozen in Tesco. Handy because they’re individually frozen. I buy Monkfisk and Mackeral from a farmers market where the fishmonger gave me reassurance it had been caught in the Irish Sea and not farmed. Prawns, scallop, anchovy & crab too but try small amounts first as test foods. I also eat tinned wild salmon & sardines. Tuna is so mass produced I was avoiding it… tried a fresh steak once and had a severe histadine reaction (can happen when a tuna isn’t caught & handled correctly) so won’t be having that again!

CT
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 63

Thanks for posting that about farmed tuna fish Javizy. I had no idea, it makes me feel a bit ill having eaten it. I think I will be sticking to salmon for my lunch from now on.

Lucylu
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 345

Are you sure that’s true about freezing it Javizy? Seems a little odd as they don’t warn you not to re-freeze it after buying? I often buy in bulk when it’s on special. Are you sure it’s not just packed on ice?

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

Lucylu wrote: Are you sure that’s true about freezing it Javizy? Seems a little odd as they don’t warn you not to re-freeze it after buying? I often buy in bulk when it’s on special. Are you sure it’s not just packed on ice?

I read something to that effect, although I don’t know the exact process. Some fishing boats don’t return to shore for a week or more, and then the fish has to be shipped around the world and to the supermarket and stored until it’s finally sold. I’d be surprised if I’m missing out on much freshness by buying from the freezers. It’d be interesting to know for sure.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Salmon’ is closed to new replies.