Rutabaga Puff Recipe, My favorite!

Home The Candida Forum Foods & Recipe Ideas Lunch & Dinner Rutabaga Puff Recipe, My favorite!

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  kristyreal 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Rose05
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 6

I found this recipe online a few months ago and after a little tweaking it has become my favorite way to cook rutabaga! You could use this as any meal of the day, perfect for dinner or breakfast!

Rutabaga Puff

Ingredients:
    4 cups cooked, mashed rutabaga (about 1 large or 2 1/2 to 3 lbs rutabaga)
    4 tablespoons melted butter
    1 teaspoon fresh chopped dill weed or 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
    salt, pepper and paprika to taste
    4 eggs separated (I add an additional egg for each additional cup of rutabaga)
    2-3 cloves of garlic (not in the original recipe but I eat garlic with EVERYTHING. Elephant garlic adds a nice buttery taste)

Preparation:
    To cook the raw rutabaga: peal and chop into small bit-size pieces, boil for about 15 minutes until soft enough to mash.

Combine mashed rutabaga, melted butter, dill, salt, pepper, paprika and chopped garlic in a bowl. Separate eggs. Mix yokes into rutabaga mixture. Beat egg whites in separate bowl until stiff peaks form; fold into the rutabaga mixture gently (this gives it it’s puff!) Lightly pile finished mixture into a greased 1-1 1/2 quart casserole dish. Bake in a preheated oven at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes until set and top is golden brown.

Serves 4-6

Or just one, in my case 🙂 Enjoy!

~Rose

lola555
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 16

Thank you for the post. I have never had rutabaga and was wondering how to cook it, etc. I think I would replace the butter with ghee though. I’m going to give this a try!

lola555
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 16

Yum!! I made this tonight and it was delicious! Some bites were a little bitter but Im guessing that’s what rutabaga tastes like ? But the dish was great. This diet limits everything so it was great to have something different. Thank you for the idea 🙂

jakecaresforu459
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 20

lola555 wrote: Yum!! I made this tonight and it was delicious! Some bites were a little bitter but Im guessing that’s what rutabaga tastes like ? But the dish was great. This diet limits everything so it was great to have something different. Thank you for the idea 🙂

Can anyone explain why does the rutabaga taste bitter? I’m not into bitter stuffs, so.

Jo*Jo
    Topics: 64
    Replies: 242

I really like it! It has almost a kind of cheesey taste. Lovely!

Rose05
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 6

jakecaresforu459 wrote:

Yum!! I made this tonight and it was delicious! Some bites were a little bitter but Im guessing that’s what rutabaga tastes like ? But the dish was great. This diet limits everything so it was great to have something different. Thank you for the idea 🙂

Can anyone explain why does the rutabaga taste bitter? I’m not into bitter stuffs, so.

I have gotten bitter rutabagas before as well. In my experience they were starting to go bad. A fresh one should taste sweet. The ones I buy are covered in wax. Annoying to peel off but it does seem to keep them fresher.

Good luck!
    ~Rose

kristyreal
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 7

jakecaresforu459;28161 wrote:

Rutabagas should not be bitter – they are generally pretty sweet tasting. If you didn’t like the results or can’t find good rutabagas, you could try this recipe with turnip roots.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Rutabaga Puff Recipe, My favorite!’ is closed to new replies.