Results with decaf coffee?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Results with decaf coffee?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  lmm 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

jameskep
    Participant
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 220

Came across an interesting study with chlorogenic acid and some of its anti-fungal properties. Coffee has a good amount of this chemical in it. I know some candida plans don’t recommend coffee because of its potential to raise blood sugar and cause adrenal issues. But it seems like decaf coffee would not present these issues(to much less extreme). The studies I’ve seen link caffeine to raising blood glucose. I’ve been drinking decaf coffee for 2 weeks and seems to be doing much more good than harm. I know i can’t do caffeinated coffee cause my system can’t handle it.

Study on chlorogenic acid:

http://pac.iupac.org/publications/pac/pdf/2010/pdf/8201×0219.pdf

A post on decaf coffee:

http://curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=1636072#i

interesting to hear from people with their experience with “Decaf” coffee.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

The problem with decaf coffee is that it contains molds because it is a dried food item. Additionally, it damages the liver and kidneys which you both need for your immune system. I would try to reduce your intake and would look at something like chamomile tea as an alternative which is antifungal, promotes bowel movements, heals your liver, and gives you energy if you steep it longer than 8 mins.

-raster

kodaz2005
    Topics: 37
    Replies: 172

jameskep;35739 wrote: Came across an interesting study with chlorogenic acid and some of its anti-fungal properties. Coffee has a good amount of this chemical in it. I know some candida plans don’t recommend coffee because of its potential to raise blood sugar and cause adrenal issues. But it seems like decaf coffee would not present these issues(to much less extreme). The studies I’ve seen link caffeine to raising blood glucose. I’ve been drinking decaf coffee for 2 weeks and seems to be doing much more good than harm. I know i can’t do caffeinated coffee cause my system can’t handle it.

Study on chlorogenic acid:

http://pac.iupac.org/publications/pac/pdf/2010/pdf/8201×0219.pdf

A post on decaf coffee:

http://curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=1636072#i

interesting to hear from people with their experience with “Decaf” coffee.

James, Why not try Chicory Coffee? I have been drinking this for a couple of months now and I have really come to like it. There are numerous studies done that suggest that Chicory is very beneficial for the gall bladder, liver and can help with leaky gut as well. Have you given the Chicory a try?

jameskep
    Participant

I guess coffee is somewhat controversial. As far as the mold goes it has not giving any mold sensitivity issues. I know coffee can stimulate the liver but not heard of it damaging the liver. I know a lot of coffee drinkers that don’t have any liver issues. Probably depends on the roast as well. Dark roast which is more bitter might stimulate the liver more. I definitely hear of coffee causing people to urinate more, but for me that has not been a issue. I’ve done a cup of light roasted here and there and seems to be inhibiting the candida very well. I just thought it was interesting that some studies have shown coffee to have anti-microbial properties. Whats interesting is the few coffee drinkers that I do know seem to never get sick. I guess moderation with everything is the key.

Chamomile is known more for its calming, soothing, mild sedative properties rather than promoting energy. Dried herbs can also contain molds depending on how they have been prepared.

Chicory makes me very bloated. Chicory is very high in FOS which can cause bloating for some. Although, chicory is a good alternative and for people that don’t have strong dysbiosis FOS can be of benefit for the flora.

I know the green coffee bean extract has been getting some attention lately. If I recall correctly it was on the Dr. OZ show not to long ago?

I was just curious if anyone has noticed Decaf Coffee to inhibit their candida.

raster
    Participant

Hello James,

I used to drink coffee excessively, maybe 2-3 cups a day of the caffeinated variety. This significantly contributed to my candida infestation and this is why I am warning you about it. It damaged my liver, made me dehydrated, drained my adrenals, and ruined my digestion. In addition to this, it helped promote leaky gut because it is inflammatory. I even drank it for the first 2-3 months while on the diet and it only hindered my progress. Once I stopped drinking it, it was like night vs. day. It was such a huge difference for the positive that I don’t think I am ever going back to drinking it regularly. I’ve been a hardcore coffee drinker for the last 10 years drinking some of the best stuff in the pacific northwest.

While I am only talking about the caffeinated kind, I believe this applies to the decaf version as well.

Chamomile is known for making you sleepy, but you haven’t tried it like I’ve mentioned. I steep it maybe 20-60 minutes and its very strong, however you may need 2-3 cups to feel normal. When steeped for this long it does the exact opposite of making you sleepy.

While you may think there is a benefit to drinking it, I will tell you otherwise because it was a major factor in me getting ill personally. The antifungal properties does not outweigh the other consequences I have mentioned.

This reason alone should convince you to not drink it:

“Coffee can damage the lining of the gastrointestinal organs, causing gastritis and ulcers. The consumption of coffee is therefore not recommended for people with gastritis, colitis, and ulcers.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_effects_of_coffee

-raster

mrs.candida
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 452

I would be cautious of the antifungal/microbial properties in coffee. If it’s such an antifungal why does mold form so easily on coffee that sits around for a couple days?

jameskep
    Participant

Coffee does have many benefits, but unfortunately it can cause some issues with people that have a sensitive GI tract. There is a lot of anti-fungals that can be irritating to the gut as well. Its not easy to find anti-fungals that don’t disturb the Gut in some way.

I was basing coffee antifungal qualities on the amount of chlorogenic acid content in it. Mold that grows on the outside of the bean might not be exposed to the chemical properties of the coffee bean. The coffee bean has grooves in the bean that can harbor moisture which in turn can promote mold.

When you say mold grows easily on coffee do you mean the wet coffee grind that has already been processed. I know that dry coffee grinds can sit on the shelf for a long time without getting moldy. We have a can of folger’s from the out of state In-law that sits on the shelf for god knows how long and doesn’t seem to go bad.

Anyways, I was just curious to my experience on why decaf coffee was doing such a good job of inhibiting my candida+ why some coffee drinkers seem to never get sick, but I know I have to limit its use because of my sensitive GI tract.

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

I used to work at coffeeshops, and in four or five years, I never noticed any correlation between coffee consumption and good health (my own or that of coworkers and customers). I wasn’t doing any formal studies, naturally, but it seems like it would be a fairly well-known phenomena, if there was strong causality.

I’d be careful with decaf coffee, if you’re going to drink it. Make sure it’s decaffeinated through a water process; otherwise, you’re drinking a bunch of chemicals used to get the caffeine out. Also, non-organic coffee was a runner-up on the “Dirty Dozen” list, which tracks the pesticide/herbicide/fungicide residues present on the 12 most contaminated produce items. Just something to think about.

I’d be interested to know if anyone else believes they’ve had success with this.

benc
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 419

I absolutely love the taste of real coffee, unfortunately for me I started drinking swiss water decaff thinking I could tolerate it but it has defiantly set my leaky gut back. I felt almost symptom free until I re-introduced that (& sparkling water – San Pellegrino).

I keep on reading about the benefits of coffee & I believe it does have antioxidant properties but believe if you have GI issues it is to be avoided.

lmm
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 138

I, too, stear clear of decaff. I find it inflames my stomach and sets up a problem of too much and then too little HCL. Every meal I had hours after coffee caused severe heartburn. These points, and the pesticide issue, means I’m staying well clear. Shame!

Len

raster
    Participant

The reason there is molds in coffee is because it is a dried food item. It gets picked and then it sits outside for days or weeks while it dries. Nuts go through a very similar process but may or may not sit out in the sun. You may not notice the molds either, but they are there. The boiling process should kill some off but its still going to be there.

Coffee is also very acidic. I don’t want to get into a pH debate on the forum but this is another reason you shouldn’t drink it either.

-raster

lmm
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 138

I, too, steer clear of decaff. I find it inflames my stomach and sets up a problem of too much and then too little HCL. Every meal I had hours after coffee caused severe heartburn. These points, and the pesticide issue, means I’m staying well clear. Shame!

Len

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Results with decaf coffee?’ is closed to new replies.