Resistant Starch, experiences with?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Resistant Starch, experiences with?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  TheXtremisT 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Vegan Catlady
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 626

I think there was an unrelated thread where some of us were talking about trying resistant starch to rule-out its value.

I tried eating potatoes (in the fridge for a day and a half)and my reaction to them were slight. Just thought it should have its own *recent* thread, incase anyone with experience there wants to share.

Danny33
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 362

Vegan Catlady;56377 wrote: I think there was an unrelated thread where some of us were talking about trying resistant starch to rule-out its value.

I tried eating potatoes (in the fridge for a day and a half)and my reaction to them were slight. Just thought it should have its own *recent* thread, incase anyone with experience there wants to share.

VC,

Feeding your flora is great and RS has shown some promising results in this area.
    RS can feed keystone species of bacteria in the intestines and is shown to promote Treg (T regulatory cells) production which can help cure allergies, autoimmunity, etc.

With that said, I was very intrigued and excited to try RS along with Clostridium pro-biotics.
    My experience was pretty bad! I simply mixed 2 tbps of potato starch in water and downed it with dinner.
    This caused me bad heartburn, headache, and got me sick for a whole week (runny nose, congestion, sore throat).

Its noted that people with dysbiosis should tread lightly with high doses of RS.
    I’m still reading about RS and flora but plan to hold of on any more experiments!

-D

Vegan Catlady

Danny33;56417 wrote:

I think there was an unrelated thread where some of us were talking about trying resistant starch to rule-out its value.

VC,

Feeding your flora is great and RS has shown some promising results in this area.
    RS can feed keystone species of bacteria in the intestines and is shown to promote Treg (T regulatory cells) production which can help cure allergies, autoimmunity, etc.

With that said, I was very intrigued and excited to try RS along with Clostridium pro-biotics.
    My experience was pretty bad! I simply mixed 2 tbps of potato starch in water and downed it with dinner.
    This caused me bad heartburn, headache, and got me sick for a whole week (runny nose, congestion, sore throat).

Its noted that people with dysbiosis should tread lightly with high doses of RS.
    I’m still reading about RS and flora but plan to hold of on any more experiments!

-D

I can understand why you would want to hold-off.

My perspective is mostly one of whole-foods sources and not processed ones, so maybe a bite or two of a regular 2-day-chilled potato would translate better in digestion than starch that has been separated.

All my research points to how your diet is combined.

Its said that starches do not play at all well with proteins, and adding pure starch would definitely cause a reaction in ANYONE if it were combined in an unnatural way,in a ratio that would never otherwise be ingested ,from what I am told.

I do not take probiotics in any form, but I have to be honest and say I feel better for having consumed the dreaded potatoes,lol.

Im going to keep doing it daily to see where my tipping point is 😀

TheChosenOne
    Participant
    Replies: 410

Vegan Catlady;56377 wrote: I tried eating potatoes (in the fridge for a day and a half)and my reaction to them were slight. Just thought it should have its own *recent* thread, incase anyone with experience there wants to share.

Did you cook the potatos? The starch in raw potatos is more resistant.

Today I started with chickpeas which are very high in resistant starch. I will report in a few days whether I feel any setbacks.

Did anyone try green bananas? They also seem to be high in resistant starch.

Edit: This is an interesting post.

Vegan Catlady

TheChosenOne;56425 wrote:

Did you cook the potatos? The starch in raw potatos is more resistant.

Today I started with chickpeas which are very high in resistant starch. I will report in a few days whether I feel any setbacks.

Did anyone try green bananas? They also seem to be high in resistant starch.

Edit: This is an interesting post.

That article is nice in the way that it really simplifies what this is about.

The potatoes I ate were cooked.
    Just to have a base reference for my choices, I only eat foods that I would want to eat if I were not sick. My experiences have been that if I consume something I never otherwise would have consumed because it tastes bad or its texture is off-putting, I have repercussions.
    I am leaning more and more towards the “natural hygiene” view.

Looking forward to hearing about your chickpea experiences!

I adore chickpeas (garbanzos!)and I am going to try those next.

I am realizing more and more everyday that my family’s cultural preferences were very candida-avoiding and maybe I should go back to that(arab-food).

We used to make fun of our hummus-eating family as kids, but I aint laughing now…

TheXtremisT
    Participant
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 126

I will be following this topic with much interest, since I plan to start this approach around August after trying to reduce the number of Candida in my gut again.

Danny – you should not have tried that much in one go. I have heard people with dysbiosis should try less than 1 tsp, or <5g, and you had 6 times that amount (you should work your way slowly up to that).
    Alternatively you could try tapioca starch, as you may have a slight reaction to the nightshades in the raw potato.

Raw potato starch is the most beneficial type of RS, followed by green bananas, and then cooled cooked rice/potato.

I have a really good feeling about this, and even though some say you may feel a little bit of digestive symptoms for a week, eventually the beneficial flora will come into prominence, and give you all of the benefits to kill the bastards causing us pain, and help our immune systems recover.

Catlady – I doubt you need to take probiotics at the same time, since it will overall increase your numbers, but would definitely help A LOT. Many on other forums just have yoghurts, nothing more, nothing at all and still say they have had vast improvements, so I guess you should be similar.

I’m interested in finding out what these “movie-like dreams” people have been experiencing are like, since the butyrates are meant to improve cognitive function even whilst sleeping.

Vegan Catlady

TheXtremisT;56596 wrote:

[h]I have a really good feeling about this, and even though some say you may feel a little bit of digestive symptoms for a week, eventually the beneficial flora will come into prominence, and give you all of the benefits to kill the bastards causing us pain, and help our immune systems recover.[/h]

Catlady – I doubt you need to take probiotics at the same time, since it will overall increase your numbers, but would definitely help A LOT. Many on other forums just have yoghurts, nothing more, nothing at all and still say they have had vast improvements, so I guess you should be similar.

I’m interested in finding out what these “movie-like dreams” people have been experiencing are like, since the butyrates are meant to improve cognitive function even whilst sleeping.

I do yogurt every day, im reading how to make my own kraut recently too.
    Hopefully the synergy of natural probiotics,resistant starch, and keeping my calories up will kick the candida out and place me better than I started.

I really liked what you said about pushing-through the week to get to where the flora comes back, it resonates with my own experiences with keeping fruit in the diet.

So many people told me not to eat fruit, and I was having a reaction when I did,so it made sense.
    But my new ND told me to keep trying to add it, because in the end it would clean my body out to where the candida didnt have as much to cling to.
    It was hard to push through that for a few weeks, but what a freaking difference it made!
    (not telling others to do this, but mentioning because sometimes its worth the effort to get the body to work hard instead of taking pills to do the job instead)

Your mention of butyrates makes so much sense.
    I can remember several vivid dreams a night, but I have always had this happening.
    If there is a connection with butyrates, then that makes so much sense!
    http://nutritionfacts.org/video/boosting-good-bacteria-in-the-colon-without-probiotics/

TheXtremisT
    Participant
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 126

Vegan Catlady;56599 wrote:

[h]I have a really good feeling about this, and even though some say you may feel a little bit of digestive symptoms for a week, eventually the beneficial flora will come into prominence, and give you all of the benefits to kill the bastards causing us pain, and help our immune systems recover.[/h]

I do yogurt every day, im reading how to make my own kraut recently too.
    Hopefully the synergy of natural probiotics,resistant starch, and keeping my calories up will kick the candida out and place me better than I started.

I really liked what you said about pushing-through the week to get to where the flora comes back, it resonates with my own experiences with keeping fruit in the diet.

So many people told me not to eat fruit, and I was having a reaction when I did,so it made sense.
    But my new ND told me to keep trying to add it, because in the end it would clean my body out to where the candida didnt have as much to cling to.
    It was hard to push through that for a few weeks, but what a freaking difference it made!
    (not telling others to do this, but mentioning because sometimes its worth the effort to get the body to work hard instead of taking pills to do the job instead)

Your mention of butyrates makes so much sense.
    I can remember several vivid dreams a night, but I have always had this happening.
    If there is a connection with butyrates, then that makes so much sense!
    http://nutritionfacts.org/video/boosting-good-bacteria-in-the-colon-without-probiotics/

That’s great to hear that you’re handling fruit well, and it’s making you better. Gives me hope that I can add some back in my diet one day! I’ll see what the ND says when I get an appointment.
    It’s good you are having natural probiotics, can’t go far wrong with them.

I imagine there is always a transitional period where you take time to adjust to a new factor, just like going to the gym. People give up after a week because they over-do it and feel ‘worse’. All they’re doing is doing it wrong. After a while you start to feel the benefit, and this I have heard is no different. So many encouraging testimonials, even some from Candida sufferers, so it is giving me hope and makes sense.
    I have only heard 1 or 2 negative testimonials from low carbers/scd followers, and that’s a reaction to the raw potato as an itchy allergy. Bear in mind its like the 1% that report this.

Very good stuff, look forward to how you’re doing in the next few weeks!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Resistant Starch, experiences with?’ is closed to new replies.