Question about Milk Thistle supplement I got

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Question about Milk Thistle supplement I got

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  orka1998 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

orka1998
    Participant
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 673

OK, I think I finally found a Milk Thistle supplement but I am not sure it’s the right one since I am trying to translate everything from English to the local language. The capsules I got state that they are used for liver disorders so this is what confused me and I want to check if I got the right stuff and can take it.

One capsule contains 150mg of dry extract of the Silybi mariae e fruct. extr. sicc. or syn. CArdui mariae e fruct extr. sicc. with 100mg of silymarin. This is what we need? It also states to take 2 capsules twice daily with heavier liver damage, but then take 1 capsule twice daily after. Lighter liver damage suggested dosage is 1 capsule twice daily.

It also states that in rare occurrences it could cause diarrhea.

Thanks in advance for your comments!

Arijana

orka1998
    Participant

Bump

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

orka1998 wrote: One capsule contains 150mg of dry extract of the Silybi mariae fruct. extr. sicc. or syn. CArdui mariae e fruct extr. sicc. with 100mg of silymarin.

Hello, Arijana;
    The botanical name for milk thistle is Silybum marianum. Your term, Silybi mariae, according to one source, is described as;
    “Fructus Silybi Mariae, consisting of the dried ripe fruits, freed from the pappus, of Silybum marianum Gaertn., Asteraceae.”
    So I’m a little confused as far as exactly what it is you have. In one way it makes sense because milk thistle is actually a fruit, I’ve just never seen it described quite that way. So my point is, I’m afraid I can only assume – and hope that this is what you need. Perhaps there’s someone there who can understand and explain it clearer?

Able

orka1998
    Participant

Thanks Able,

I am staring at it but don’t want to take it unless I know what it is. I asked pharmacist if I can take it to prevent problems and to protect the liver, and she said yes, but I don’t quite trust their thorough knowledge of every medicine/supplement they have there.

I thought Milk Thistle is a flower and that fruit portion confused me as well.

I will try to find someone to decipher it for me. Besides Milk Thistle root tea, this is the only thing I found here (surprisingly).

There are a lot of people making specialized herbal teas here in Bosnia. I might be able to get my hands on a Milk Thistle tea (the flower part). Would this be beneficial at all?

Thanks again,

Arijana

Chlofloso
    Topics: 28
    Replies: 104

Fruits and seeds are often used interchangeably when talking about milk thistle:

“The milk thistle of commerce is a standardized preparation extracted from the fruits (seeds) of Silybum marianum ” (from http://cms.herbalgram.org/expandedE/MilkThistlefruit.html). This is because the fruit mainly consists of the seeds (type in “milk thistle fruit” or “milk thistle seeds” on google images and you’ll see what I mean). I have a (very new, up-to-date) book on herbal medicine, where they use the pestled fruits for tea and the seeds to make tinctures – both contain silymarin and are used to support the liver.

“Silybi mariae” ist the genitive of “Silybum marianum”, so “Silybi mariae fructus” just means “fruit of milk thistle”; and as Able already stated, “extr.” means extract and “sicc.” means “dried” (latin “siccare” = “to dry”). “Syn” means synonymous, since Carduus marianus is a synonymous for Silybum marianum (I would guess this has historical reasons).
    Haha, I used to hate latin but it comes in handy at times 😉

I’m no pharmacologist but I think it’s perfectly fine to take it!

————————————————————————-
    Nice to know: My book also says that after the legend, the virgin Maria once breast fed Jesus during their flight from king Herodes. A few drops of Maria’s breastmilk fell on a common thistle and ever since, the thistle’s leaves are green-white marbled. Therefore the milk thistle is also called “Lady’s milk” and in German it’s called “Mariendistel”.

Chloë

orka1998
    Participant

Chlofloso wrote: Fruits and seeds are often used interchangeably when talking about milk thistle:

“The milk thistle of commerce is a standardized preparation extracted from the fruits (seeds) of Silybum marianum ” (from http://cms.herbalgram.org/expandedE/MilkThistlefruit.html). This is because the fruit mainly consists of the seeds (type in “milk thistle fruit” or “milk thistle seeds” on google images and you’ll see what I mean). I have a (very new, up-to-date) book on herbal medicine, where they use the pestled fruits for tea and the seeds to make tinctures – both contain silymarin and are used to support the liver.

“Silybi mariae” ist the genitive of “Silybum marianum”, so “Silybi mariae fructus” just means “fruit of milk thistle”; and as Able already stated, “extr.” means extract and “sicc.” means “dried” (latin “siccare” = “to dry”). “Syn” means synonymous, since Carduus marianus is a synonymous for Silybum marianum (I would guess this has historical reasons).
    Haha, I used to hate latin but it comes in handy at times 😉

I’m no pharmacologist but I think it’s perfectly fine to take it!

————————————————————————-
    Nice to know: My book also says that after the legend, the virgin Maria once breast fed Jesus during their flight from king Herodes. A few drops of Maria’s breastmilk fell on a common thistle and ever since, the thistle’s leaves are green-white marbled. Therefore the milk thistle is also called “Lady’s milk” and in German it’s called “Mariendistel”.

Chloë

Oh my sweet Chloe, you saved the day! See, I was just not sure if I had the right herb because I used translation from English to my language. I am so glad you learned Latin even though you hated it 🙂

Love the story about Virgin Mary!

Thanks again!

Arijana

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Question about Milk Thistle supplement I got’ is closed to new replies.