Protein-Candida link question

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Protein-Candida link question

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Javizy 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

lmm
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 138

Hello All –

One issue that bothers me is protein. In essence, how concerned should we be that Candida might feed on the protein we eat? Is the issue more that protein produces ammonia in the intestines?

I’m concerned because, since eating some chicken and sardines, my die-off symptoms have greatly reduced. From the chicken, I’ve experienced belching and flatulence. This I find very confusing. Might this be a sign that the Candida are chowing down? Or is this just my body reacting to meat after a cleansing diet?

Regards
    Len

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

One issue that bothers me is protein. In essence, how concerned should we be that Candida might feed on the protein we eat? Is the issue more that protein produces ammonia in the intestines?

It’s the ammonia released by the breakdown of the protein that plays a factor in the Candida infestation, not the protein itself.

From the chicken, I’ve experienced belching and flatulence. This I find very confusing. Might this be a sign that the Candida are chowing down? Or is this just my body reacting to meat after a cleansing diet?

It’s the Candida and the beneficial bacteria both reacting to ammonia. Candida use it as part of the hospitable environment that they need for survival, and the beneficial bacteria are destroyed by ammonia which allows more room and food in the intestines for the Candida to multiply. That’s why die-off symptoms slack off when eating meat protein and often symptoms of a Candida infestation will return or grow worse.
    This is the reason I went for three months without eating meat, chicken or fish when I started the treatment. Small amounts of chicken and fish are only on the stricter diet because most people find it impossible to go that long without protein. I made up for the animal protein with lots of eggs and kefir.

Able

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

What else are you eating? If you don’t have any carbs in your diet then the protein spares your body from destroying itself, which probably makes you feel a bit better. Maybe some of the vitamins like B12 gave you a boost too. If you aim for at least 50g each of carbs/protein, you can avoid the body destructo thing, unless you’re especially active.

The ammonia issue is more complicated than I understand. Your body turns over 300-400g of protein a day. What you eat just helps to keep the body’s stores topped up so it can maintain these processes. Ammonia might be created if you eat more protein than you need as the body discards it, or during processes like gluconeogenesis (try smelling the breath/pee of someone on Atkins). Meat is partly digested by bacteria, which is why you can end up with ammonia in the gut. I’ve got no idea how it’s processed from there. Usually it’s converted to urea, but maybe it’s allowed to pass in the stool.

Gelatine and bone broths are good sources of additional protein that don’t putrefy in the gut. Kefir is a good source too, but large amounts of lactate might be an issue with low-carb intake. I’ve seen a study showing omnivores having a lower stool pH than vegetarians, and they strangely ate more complex carbs, so perhaps this suggests balance is key – there are even some beneficial bacteria that feed on the grisly parts of meat.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Protein-Candida link question’ is closed to new replies.