Picky Eater Struggling to Follow Diet – Any Suggestions??

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Picky Eater Struggling to Follow Diet – Any Suggestions??

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  chrisluketaylor 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Eala
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 1

Hi everyone,

I first began to have problems with candida about a year ago when I developed a rash on my chest. I tried topical creams for yeast at the advice of my doctor, and while it helped for the first week the itchiness came back twice as bad shortly after. I then went to see a naturopath and he gave me some drops and pills that made the problem go away within a month. And it stayed away for more than 6 months. But then a couple of months ago, it came back and even though I started taking the same pills he had given me the last time, it didn’t seem to be having any affect anymore. So he suggested that I couple the pills with a candida diet.

I did quite a bit of research, purchased all of the e-books from this website, stocked up on groceries and started earlier this week. But I have run into a huge problem… I am a very picky eater and I have been struggling to find anything to eat that I actually like. Phase 1 was a complete wash because by the end of the first day the smell of vegetables made me feel terribly nauseous, and after taking my first bite of cauliflower rice with stir fried vegetables that I’d made for supper and gagging I’d had enough. It’s a few days later and the smell of those same vegetables still makes me feel sick.

I generally eat a decent amount of bread.. but at the very least I always have two pieces of toast with scrambled eggs in the morning. I thought it would be easy to just ditch the bread and still eat the scrambled eggs, but I tried to do that this morning and couldn’t force the eggs down. After that failed, I tried two different candida-diet approved smoothies and couldn’t stomach either of them. So now here I am at work having eaten nothing with no idea what I’m going to eat for lunch either.

The second major problem is that I also eat ketchup with pretty much everything. Now obviously ketchup isn’t allowed on this diet, but in most cases I would rather eat nothing than eat without ketchup.

So my problem is I’m basically just not eating anything at all which, while it may be starving the candida, is also starving me. On top of that, the pills I have to take need to be taken with food and if I don’t eat I also can’t take the pills.

Are there any other picky eaters out there with advice and/or suggestions on what I could try? Is there any wiggle room when it comes to trying to get rid of candida in terms of food choices? Or is it literally from all to nothing and there is no other way around it?

I sooo appreciate any help!!! Thanks!

chrisluketaylor
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 23

You just need to find stuff that you like.

To really starve the candida albakans you need to cut out sugar (or as close as possible).

My favourite veg is brocolli, and I really like nuts so to get a nutty taste for the brocolli I can roast it. And base meals around a veg that you know you can rely on.

3 scrambled eggs with 2 cups brocolli used to be my breakfast. Now I have moved onto 2 scrambled eggs with quinoa. Or if I’m in a rush a plain greek yoghurt with ground ginger and toasted almond flakes mixed in.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I would look here for recipes to make for the diet. Instead of regular bread I would eat teff bread and make it every week or find a gluten free bakery that makes teff bread. Instead of butter use coconut oil. Instead of potatoes, use rutabaga. Ketchup actually isn’t all that bad for the diet if you eat it in low quantities (such as a spoonful or two per serving), I just wouldn’t eat something with ketchup daily. Eggs in high quantities are not good for the diet because they protect yeast, so I would consider not eating eggs every day.

For breakfast, I eat cream of buckwheat (sweetened with stevia), goats milk yogurt with a few blueberries, and pumpkin pie muffin bread that I make every week. My wife makes large amounts of chicken sausage or turkey sausage every week and freezes it and thaws it for breakfast every day. You could also add in some flax cookies too perhaps.

For veggies, you can use salad dressing on the diet, it just needs to be with apple cider vinegar based dressings. For instance, the annies brand dressings are all low in sugar and most of them are made with ACV. Even though it is very slightly bad for the diet, it benefits your diet because you then can consume salads. Also the serving size is very small so you aren’t eating like gallons of dressing every day. As far as smoothies are concerned, I would find some specific recipes that have good flavor…the only way to make it taste good is to sweeten it with a little bit of fruit (which isn’t bad for diet in low quantities).

This isn’t a no sugar diet, it is a low sugar diet. I would aim for 25g-50g of sugar per day maximum amount, so when thinking about things in this regards, you can still enjoy some of the normal things you like.

Also this is a long term diet, so you aren’t going to get better faster by removing ketchup, its basically going to have a neutral effect on your health if consumed in low amounts (same with salad dressing with ACV). I’ve personally been on the diet for about 5 years and think that people can be overly conservative with the diet and the foods on it.

Also the skin problems are not related to diet by itself but accumulation of toxins and your ability to detox. I would look at a few things beyond the diet to help with this problem such as supplementing with HCL, detoxing with liver cleansing herbs, and detoxing with sauna, steam room, etc. You also very likely would benefit from acupuncture to help rebalance your organs and to detox.

Here are some important posts to check out:

http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forums/topic/many-of-your-symptoms-are-liver-symptoms-29/
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forums/topic/the-benefits-of-sweating-out-toxins-mineral-water-and-minerals-58/
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forums/topic/the-importance-of-vitamin-c-19/
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forums/topic/doing-too-much-too-fast-74/
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forums/topic/hydro-chloric-acid-and-health-written-by-dr-mccoombs-21/

-raster

Eala
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 1

Thank you both very much for all of the information! @raster I read all of the posts you included and I’ve also started to look around in the recipes forum. I kinda wish I had done that before I started (and cheated, and started and cheated..). While looking through the recipes gives me a lot of hope for stage 2 and beyond, I still can’t help but think that it would be next to impossible to cut as many things as seems to be necessary for stage 1 based on my picky eating habits and actually still eat much of anything. So I guess what I’m asking is… is it possible to skip ahead to a spot where it’s a little less restrictive and still be successful in getting everything under control considering the probiotics and other anti-candida supplements I have been taking? Or would a person be doomed to failure without the initial phase?

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Well I am not sure where the stage stuff is coming from because I don’t see it on the thecandidadiet.com website itself. I remember a few years ago we used to have stages for the diet here on the forum. I don’t have the book so am not completely sure what is on each stage.

But in general you should start out strict and loosen diet over time.

My ND basically just has one diet that he gives out and doesn’t do stages.

What I did for instance was avoided rice, dairy, and fruit starting out for a few weeks and then added it in after 2-4 weeks or so.

-raster

chrisluketaylor
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 23

The key to making the diet work for you, is to listen to your body.

Die-off symptoms getting too bad? Cut down on antifungals temporarily or increase detoxifying micro-nutrient sources.

Candida symptoms returning? Isolate the food(s) which may be responsible and cut down or remove it (them).

Diet isn’t about being rigid, that is near impossible. It’s about making the best decisions for your health with your food based on knowledge. What works for someone else might not necessarily work for you, we are all different.

Life is a journey, you will have to find out for yourself your path. But all it takes is the motivation to do something and you can do it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Picky Eater Struggling to Follow Diet – Any Suggestions??’ is closed to new replies.