Not feeling hungry?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Not feeling hungry?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  shayfo 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

I’m new on the forum, so I guess a bit of explanation about me first so that you can give me informed opinions:

I’m a woman in my mid-20s. I became vegetarian when I was 13, and vegan when I was 17. I backslid into vegetarianism for about a year and a half, and have been vegan again for almost three years, aside from occasional eggs from my pet chicken (she’s pretty stingy), and occasional gluten-free baked goods donated to the organization I work with that feeds the homeless. I have been making homemade sauerkraut and kim chi for about two years, which I eat pretty regularly. I have a small handful of friends who have done cleanses/diets for candidiasis, and I read about food-related issues fairly regularly, so systemic candida overgrowth is a concept I’ve been familiar with for a while, but I never really looked into it seriously.

Anyway, symptoms: A few years ago, I used to suffer from vaginal yeast infections before every menstrual period started (it would clear up once it did start), as well as almost any time I had sex. I discovered that I have a gluten allergy a little over two years ago, and while I didn’t track it or make a connection at the time, I’m pretty sure my yeast infections cleared up around the time I stopped eating gluten (incidentally, I also stopped using tampons and got a Diva Cup slightly earlier than that). I also used to have pretty bad seasonal allergies and allergies to cats, but since quitting gluten, those have dissipated almost completely as well. I still have a few allergies, but they’re pretty specific and they’re things I can avoid (timothy hay and guinea pigs).

For the past three years, I’ve done some sort of cleanse or fast at the beginning of every summer. In 2010, a three-day water fast (distilled water only); in 2011, a 7-day brown rice fast with small amounts of miso and kombucha; and this year, a 10-day brown rice fast that included miso, homemade sauerkraut, lemon, and small amounts of Earth Balance brand organic non-hydrogenated margarine.

This year, however, I went pretty crazy with partying and drinking from March through October (which is something I haven’t really done for any sustained period of time, ever), and my smart eating and exercising sort of fell apart over the summer. The past three or so months were mostly a free-for-all, lots of coffee and wine and whiskey and Thai take-out and gluten-free baked goods and sooo much fruit and peanut butter, and feeling continuously hungry. And then, continuously tired, and nonspecifically terrible all the time. I started having regular headaches for the first time since I was 14 or 15. After some reflection, I decided to look into whether candidiasis might be a problem, seeing that I’d been on a booze/sugar/white-carb-fueled bender for months. Most of what I read indicated that it’s likely an issue — constant low energy, constant hunger, white tongue some mornings, really itchy eyes, weird cravings, headaches, plus the fact that I used to get vaginal yeast infections every month.

So, I read around a bit, and used this website to get started on doing the cleanse and diet. I’m on day 15 of the “cleanse” portion, which I plan to do for about another week. My initial experience was what I think is pretty normal: intense cravings, detox breath/BO, feeling spacey, slightly weak. That lasted a few days, and I haven’t had cravings in at least a week, and mostly now I just notice that I sometimes get light-headed if I stand up too quickly. This has been okay for me, since I’m a massage therapist and usually only work one or two hours at a time before I get a break.

So, after allll that, here’s my question: I’m never hungry anymore. I haven’t felt like eating in days. I do, a bit, because it’s a good idea, but I don’t have any interest in it. I don’t feel sick. I just have no appetite. Does anyone have any ideas why that might be happening? It seems like everything I’ve read says that most people are hungry all the time during this phase especially. Am I doing something wrong? Or is my slow metabolism finally paying off?

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Hello, Shay, welcome to the forum.

Don’t worry about the lack of hunger or cravings, a lot of us experienced that about two weeks into the diet or cleanse. This only means that you’ve broken the cycle of the Candida cravings and feeding.
    However, you should consider the possibility of losing too much weight when you do not experience hunger.
    Have you lost much weight yet?

Able

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

I have lost weight, yes. I’m 5’8″ and started out at 228.2 pounds, and yesterday when I weighed myself I was 211.6 lbs. I’ve still been able to perform intense deep-tissue massage treatments without trouble, so I don’t think my body is eating my muscles. Since I’m overweight to begin with, I haven’t worried about my weight loss much. I don’t feel run-down, and I assume I’ll regain some when I eventually start eating things that are more calorically dense down the road.

I’ve talked about this a little with a friend who did the cleanse and diet a couple of years ago, and we speculated that since I’m eating such nutrient-dense foods while not being very busy, I might not need many calories to be nourished. One of the things I’ve been making pretty frequently is Indian-style greens: steamed greens (kale, spinach, and/or collards, generally) blended with turmeric, cumin, ginger, cayenne, coriander, fenugreek, lemon, raw garlic, and coconut oil. Since steaming reduces the size of greens so much, to make a bowl of this I’m usually using about a pound (or more?) of greens. While a pound of kale doesn’t contain a lot of calories, it does have a lot of nutrients, so it should lead to satiation pretty quickly, I would assume. Do you think there might be some truth to this?

Also, last night, I switched to chia seeds (from psyllium husk) in my detox drinks on a suggestion I saw you made on another post, and I’m pretty pleased with it. Just having it last night and this morning, I feel more energized. I’m not sure if this is because chia is so nutrient-dense, or if just knowing that they contain a higher amount of protein per serving than other things I’m eating gives me a psychological boost, but either way, I’m glad I made the change, so thank you!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Not feeling hungry?’ is closed to new replies.