No reaction to nystatin

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions No reaction to nystatin

This topic contains 16 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  klips32 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

trainerjenn
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 5

I was just recently diagnosed by my dr through a blood test. He put me on 100,00units/ml liquid nystatin, three times a day. Not very familiar with candida so I’ve been reading everything I can. My question is that I’ve read about die-off once you start taking nystatin. Also read that if you don’t experience die-off, you most likely don’t have candida. Been taking the meds for 5 days now, and have cut sugar out of my diet, and have had absolutely zero reactions. Feel exactly the same as I felt before beginning the meds & diet. Is it normal to not have any type of reaction/die-off?

Smitty99
    Topics: 27
    Replies: 227

Soooooo many different factors at play here dictate whether you will experience die off or not.

I’m pretty sure that dosage is pretty small. I also was on nystatin for 10 days and it did absolute nothing for me. People who have had results with nystatin tend to be a much larger dose and it’s usually the pure powder form. Did your doctor give you that crap that has sugar all through it and tastes like banana? Just goes to show you how well the medical industry understands candida. They actually make a medicine for candida laced with sugar….

Myself personally I’ve been taken a ton of antifungals nad not really getting any die off lately but alas my symptoms still persist so I decided to start taking a more powerful probiotic. I’m having quite a bit of die off again. Mild body aches and huge sinus congestion.

My advice, take the nystatin and if it doesn’t work, ask for a larger does and see if you can get it without the flavoring in its pure form. It may taste like absolute crap but it’s worth it to have no sugar in it.

candida_sucks
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 148

trainerjenn;49361 wrote: I was just recently diagnosed by my dr through a blood test. He put me on 100,00units/ml liquid nystatin, three times a day. Not very familiar with candida so I’ve been reading everything I can. My question is that I’ve read about die-off once you start taking nystatin. Also read that if you don’t experience die-off, you most likely don’t have candida. Been taking the meds for 5 days now, and have cut sugar out of my diet, and have had absolutely zero reactions. Feel exactly the same as I felt before beginning the meds & diet. Is it normal to not have any type of reaction/die-off?

What’s your dosage? 100,000 units/mL is the concentration. How many mL do you take per day?

trainerjenn

I take 1tsp 3 times a day. And yes, I think the medicine is pure sugar, tastes like I’m drinking skittles. I thought it was odd it would have sugar in it but I was thinking since my dr seemed to know so much about candida and cutting out sugar that he must know what he’s doing by prescribing it. Not so sure about that now, at my next appt I’m definitely going to ask. Unfortunately I can’t get in to see him for another 3 weeks. I just hope I’m not wasting my time with this right now.

mygutleaks
    Participant
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 166

You are definitely on the wrong form of Nystatin. The liquid suspension will not cure you because of all the sugar.

The correct way to take it is,

Paddock Laboratories brand powder
    at least 3 million units per day for a minimum of 3 months – but 6 months is better.

Some have also had success with the brown tablets, but you need at least 6 per day,
    http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/lookup.cfm?setid=b70731df-fead-4f40-941e-7889a9c5d800

The issue with the tablets is, they don’t reach the candida in the mouth, esophagus so occasionally crush one up with a pill crusher, and swish it in the mouth and then swallow. If you travel, the tablets are easier to take because the don’t require refrigeration like the powder. They also work well for colon candidiasis, whereas the powder won’t reach there. But the powder is good for enemas that will reach there.

If you have a choice, go for the powder, just make sure it is Paddock labs – the name may not say Paddock, but they are owned by them. You’ll likely also want coconut oil or other antifungal, as Nystatin only works in the gut.

-MGL

candida_sucks

mygutleaks;49369 wrote: You are definitely on the wrong form of Nystatin. The liquid suspension will not cure you because of all the sugar.

The correct way to take it is,

Paddock Laboratories brand powder
    at least 3 million units per day for a minimum of 3 months – but 6 months is better.

Some have also had success with the brown tablets, but you need at least 6 per day,
    http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/lookup.cfm?setid=b70731df-fead-4f40-941e-7889a9c5d800

The issue with the tablets is, they don’t reach the candida in the mouth, esophagus so occasionally crush one up with a pill crusher, and swish it in the mouth and then swallow. If you travel, the tablets are easier to take because the don’t require refrigeration like the powder. They also work well for colon candidiasis, whereas the powder won’t reach there. But the powder is good for enemas that will reach there.

If you have a choice, go for the powder, just make sure it is Paddock labs – the name may not say Paddock, but they are owned by them. You’ll likely also want coconut oil or other antifungal, as Nystatin only works in the gut.

-MGL

I take Nystatin in the form of liquid suspension, made by a compounding pharmacy. Instead of sugar they use sorbitol. Sorbitol is a sugar alcohol that makes it taste rather sweet, but it is slowly metabolized in the human body and will not feed Candida. Somewhere in this forum Jorge has a post where he mentions that it and other sugar alcohols will retard Candida, though I forget the details of it. The liquid Nystatin that I take is highly effective.

You shouldn’t say that the powder form doesn’t reach the colon. As Nystatin is not absorbed into our system, it does reach the colon. You can argue that it’s all mixed up with food by the time it gets there and is therefore less effective (as Jorge has in his enema posts), but it will get there. I try to take mine on an empty stomach, separate from food.

candida_sucks

trainerjenn;49366 wrote: I take 1tsp 3 times a day. And yes, I think the medicine is pure sugar, tastes like I’m drinking skittles. I thought it was odd it would have sugar in it but I was thinking since my dr seemed to know so much about candida and cutting out sugar that he must know what he’s doing by prescribing it. Not so sure about that now, at my next appt I’m definitely going to ask. Unfortunately I can’t get in to see him for another 3 weeks. I just hope I’m not wasting my time with this right now.

1 tsp is 5 mL, so you’re on 1.5 million units per day. That’s not a high dose. To be fair, I had some die-off even at that dose, but that’s just me. In his book, “The Yeast Connection”, William Crook, MD, explains that he would sometimes prescribe as high as 16 million units of Nystatin per day for his patients, and in rare cases he would go even higher.

Smitty99
    Topics: 27
    Replies: 227

candida_sucks;49372 wrote:

I take 1tsp 3 times a day. And yes, I think the medicine is pure sugar, tastes like I’m drinking skittles. I thought it was odd it would have sugar in it but I was thinking since my dr seemed to know so much about candida and cutting out sugar that he must know what he’s doing by prescribing it. Not so sure about that now, at my next appt I’m definitely going to ask. Unfortunately I can’t get in to see him for another 3 weeks. I just hope I’m not wasting my time with this right now.

1 tsp is 5 mL, so you’re on 1.5 million units per day. That’s not a high dose. To be fair, I had some die-off even at that dose, but that’s just me. In his book, “The Yeast Connection”, William Crook, MD, explains that he would sometimes prescribe as high as 16 million units of Nystatin per day for his patients, and in rare cases he would go even higher.

she sounds like she was on the same dosage as me. 1 tsp at 100,000 units 3 times a day which is 300,000 in total. That would only treat the mildest forms of candida. Than you factor in the sugar content and it’s going to have even less results.

There’s a website in Canada that sells the pure powder as a dietary supplement so you can mix it in water.
    http://fludan.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=65_43&products_id=1859

good luck

candida_sucks

Smitty99;49385 wrote:

she sounds like she was on the same dosage as me. 1 tsp at 100,000 units 3 times a day which is 300,000 in total. That would only treat the mildest forms of candida. Than you factor in the sugar content and it’s going to have even less results.

There’s a website in Canada that sells the pure powder as a dietary supplement so you can mix it in water.
    http://fludan.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=65_43&products_id=1859

good luck

It’s 100,000 units per mL, and 5 mL per tsp. That’s 500,000 units per tsp. 3 tsp per day is 1.5 million units per day.

She should find out if her Nystatin has sugar in it, or instead has sugar alcohol.

CS

trainerjenn

Thank you guys for the advice! Im going to check with the pharmacy to see what the ingredients actually are, and from there try calling my dr to see if he’d be willing to switch my prescription. Hopefully he’s open to changing if needed.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Another thing worth mentioning is that if you are not doing the diet strictly then this could benefit the yeast, and you could kill it and feed it over and over again. You need to avoid this if at all possible.

If you don’t get any die-off, it could mean that your liver and kidneys are doing better than most people who have taken the drugs.

-raster

trainerjenn

Checked with the pharmacy and the nystatin is in fact 49.8% sucrose. So my next step is to call my dr and hope he will give me a different prescription. It’s totally baffling that the medicine would have all that sugar, and even more strange that my dr would actually prescribe this when he seems so knowledgable about candida. Go figure. But I guess it explains my desire to lick the bottle since I’ve cut sugar out of my diet and the medicine tastes like candy :/ Thank you to everyone that took time to help me out!

klips32
    Participant
    Topics: 65
    Replies: 183

First of all, what bloodtest did you MD do?
    did the blood go straight to a bottle with something else in it? (testing for c. albicans in the bloodstream on immunosupressed patients is done with a medium a fungi can grow on, for cultivation).

Second:
    Do you have the common Candida related complex symptoms?

Are you reacting on other antifungals?

trainerjenn

@klips32 I’m not sure the exact blood test that was done. During my exam the dr noticed white film on my tongue that he believed was yeast so he wanted to test for that. When I gave blood I gave 16 vials, some empty vials, some had stuff in them, so I can’t be sure which was which. When I went back for my results he said I had major candida overgrowth. My major symptoms include extreme fatigue, joint pain, brain fog, dizziness, memory problems, irritability, anxiety, stomach issues and major carb/sugar cravings, to name few. Problem with that is those symptoms also fit many other issues, including lupus, which I have. I got copies of all my tests but none of them are clearly labeled candida or yeast so I tried looking up the name of the candida blood test but wasn’t able to figure out which one it was.

trainerjenn

And I haven’t been taking any other antifungals

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘No reaction to nystatin’ is closed to new replies.