No carbs = brain fog.

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions No carbs = brain fog.

This topic contains 30 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  sammmick 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author

sammmick
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 8

I only got two days into my cleanse before I had to cave. Yesterday I had gone all day without carbs, and by the end of a busy school day I noticed an increasing mental fog, worse than I’ve ever really had.

I feel like you guys might say this is part of the cleansing process and a byproduct of toxin release, but the fact is that the body needs 130 g of carbohydrates to maintain cognitive function.

I don’t think I can possibly continue with this diet if it’s going to compromise my study habits.

Lauren
    Topics: 44
    Replies: 267

Sammmick,
    That is interesting. It make sense that a body needs a certain amount of carbs. I guess the problem is the candida will get worse if you do eat carbs. So I don’t know if there is a easy solution. I would never ever tell anyone to go on a diet like this with out having a candida problem because it eliminates many things your body needs. But hopefully some the supplements help with this and healthy food choices. But really there not another solution with a candida overgrowth, with the limited research that has been done on it. Maybe one day there will be and things will be much easier for people like you and me. I really dont know enough about the carbs and brain function to truly respond. But that is very interesting πŸ˜€
    Thanks
    Lauren

lol Fixed this too! πŸ˜€

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

sammmick wrote: I only got two days into my cleanse

It takes longer than this for your metabolism to adjust to using fat as its primary source of fuel. You should reserve judgement until a more reasonable amount of time has passed.

sammmick wrote: the fact is that the body needs 130 g of carbohydrates to maintain cognitive function.

Where did you hear this?

sammmick wrote: I don’t think I can possibly continue with this diet if it’s going to compromise my study habits.

The healing process is tough and lengthy, so it is going to affect your life and slow you down in a lot of ways, just like recovering from any illness would. The alternative is not to recover and continue getting worse. If you’re worried about exams or something, then you could go on a decent “preparation” diet and avoid all the bad foods until you’re ready to begin fully. It really depends where your priorities lie.

Javizy

Lauren wrote: I would never ever tell anyone to go on a diet like this with out having a candida problem because it eliminates many things your body needs.

Like what? The diet is packed full of nutrition compared to the standard American diet. All you’re missing is a substantial amount of carbs – you still get them from vegetables to some extent – which aren’t strictly necessary anyway.

Lauren

Javizy,
    I honestly don’t like not eating any carbs at all. I don’t think it is the healthiest choice for a person with normal health. But for us it is. I am not saying the rest of the diet is great, it is! But I think carbs are good for a normal body.
    Lauren

It is fixed! Haha! Sorry for the mistakes. I am glad it gave everyone a laugh though.:D By carbs I meant not simple carbohydrates, but rather good whole grain choices with flaw seeds. So stuff that is good for you normally but not good for us. Sorry for not explaining myself well enough. πŸ™‚ And sorry for the misspelling πŸ˜‰ I hope it made you smile.

sammmick

I don’t think I have the fat reserves to totally cut carbs out.

And the 130 g thing was from my psychology professor.

Javizy

Lauren wrote: Javizy,
    I honestly don’t like not eating any crabs at all. I don’t think it is the healthiest choice for a person with normal health. But for us it is. I am not saying the rest of the diet is great, it is! But I think crabs are good for a normal body.
    Lauren

You’re right. They’re the cleanest source of energy (it’s carbs from carbohydrates, by the way, not crabs lol), and “running” on fat long-term can be bad for your liver. On this diet, though, you can eat lots of vegetables and introduce the likes of buckwheat and oat bran in the early stages, so you’re still getting a certain amount of carbs, certainly more than Atkins and similar diets. By the time you’re eating dried beans, apples, tomatoes etc during stage 2, you’re getting more than enough.

sammmick wrote: I don’t think I have the fat reserves to totally cut carbs out.

And the 130 g thing was from my psychology professor.

Is this for optimal cognitive function or something? Is there a study on this? I’d be interested to read about it. Your body can still function fully on 0g, and certain races like the Inuit traditionally lived primarily on fats from marine life. We don’t need anything like what the government food pyramid suggests, but 100g or so sounds like a reasonable amount for someone without candida issues.

As for the reserves, you’re really aiming to get the energy from your diet rather than using what you’ve got stored. I’m almost 5 weeks in and I’ve been feeling pretty good this week. I was very slim to begin with, but as long as I get enough protein and fat I feel I have energy.

The problem is overcoming the first few weeks, which were pretty terrible. I made a sudden change from junk-bingeing to this strict regime, so I did myself no favours. If I were you, I’d cut out simple carbs completely and ween myself off caffeine, and gradually start changing my diet until I felt ready to start. Maybe when you have a holiday or a less intensive period of studying.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Lauren wrote: But I think crabs are good for a normal body.

That depends on the form of carbohydrates you’re speaking of. Complex carbs, which you’re obtaining if you’re following the diet, are good for a normal body; but if you’re talking about simple carbs, they are not good for a normal body or any other type of body.

(Lauren, you might want to do a spell check.)
    Able

sammmick

The Inuit diet really can’t be compared to the typical anglo-saxon diet, as we’ve been evolving separately for thousands of years.

I think I’m just doubting the legitimacy of the candida cleanse.

For example, consuming bentonite clay seems like like it would create blockages along the GI tract as well as get caught along the many creases and folds within it. Sure, bentonite clay isn’t toxic, but it absorbs toxins, so there’s a good possibility that there might be these toxic masses accumulating. Especially because since starting the cleanse three days ago, I haven’t had a single bowel movement. Toxins that should be getting passed are just sitting there longer..

Summer
    Topics: 14
    Replies: 43

sammick,

2-3 days seems a little soon to be doubting the legitimacy of anything. You really haven’t even scratched the surface of the diet.
    Brain fog is also a symptom of die-off. Your CANDIDA is craving carbs.
    I really can’t afford to lose too much weight either so I supplement with things like coconut oil. Raw extra virgin coconut oil gives me a burst of energy before workouts. Avocados are great too. Make some olive oil salad dressing!
    I’m 5 weeks along and some days I have brain fog and some I don’t just depends on my body, supplement cycle when and what I ate etc.

Give it some time and your body will not only adjust but will thank you.

Javizy

sammmick wrote: The Inuit diet really can’t be compared to the typical anglo-saxon diet, as we’ve been evolving separately for thousands of years.

True, but Western people on fat-based diets like Atkins don’t have mental problems. I was just trying to point out that it’s possible for humans to survive with carbohydrates if they choose. I don’t believe it’s a long-term solution, but it’s acceptable as a healing option. We’re not after optimum nutrition here, but the fastest route to recovery, and pretty much anything is better than the standard American diet (SAD).

I’ve seen one study that followed Atkins dieters for a year and found that they actually had improved health in many areas when compared to those on SAD, so I don’t think the stage 1 diet is anything to worry about at all, since it’s designed to last something like 3-6 months and still includes much more carbs, fibre, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants etc and helpful supplements like probiotics than Atkins.

sammmick wrote: I think I’m just doubting the legitimacy of the candida cleanse.

For example, consuming bentonite clay seems like like it would create blockages along the GI tract as well as get caught along the many creases and folds within it. Sure, bentonite clay isn’t toxic, but it absorbs toxins, so there’s a good possibility that there might be these toxic masses accumulating. Especially because since starting the cleanse three days ago, I haven’t had a single bowel movement. Toxins that should be getting passed are just sitting there longer..

You should check the protocol members on the forum use. It doesn’t involve bentonite clay or psyllium and can be skipped if it better suits you.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

You are doing a different cleanse that is mentioned on the website. We on the forum have our own cleanse that is completely different. The psyllium husks can cause internal bleeding and at the very least constipation.

Check out this other cleanse:

http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst997_Proper-and-Safe-Cleanse.aspx

-raster

sammmick

I think the best thing will just be to ease into it. Suddenly cutting carbs and sugars out of a diet is likely to cause blood sugar swings in anyone, it just came it an inopportune moment and discouraged me.

Also, you may not be interested, but I passed the bentonite clay since my last post. It was INTERESTING to say the least. I think I’m willing to deal with the possible health risks if more weird things are gonna be coming out of me.

Munoz
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 32

You guys want to hear something really funny, a friend of mine just came back from Africa ( Kenya), he was living with a tribe for 12 days, do you want to hear what is their diet: meat from cows and sheeps, milk of course, and blood from these animals, they bleed the animal and drink it like “glass” of juice. yes not french fries, or vegetables or almond pancakes. That is extreme at least for me… then I thought, boy how good is the candida diet!!!!

Lauren

Haha Munoz πŸ˜€

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘No carbs = brain fog.’ is closed to new replies.