Nicorette lozenges (quit smoking)

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Nicorette lozenges (quit smoking)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  raster 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Summertime
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 2

Hi everyone, newbie here 🙂

Can anyone let me know if I can take Nicorette Lozenges whilst on the candida diet? Is it true that it can cause oral thrush (or rather all nicotine products can do so)? Thank you.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Mouth problems can occur as a side effect of these, just be aware of that possibility if you use them.

Of course, they also contain nicotine; research theories claim that nicotine causes physiological changes in the body that feed yeast. Nicotine also depletes the adrenal glands, hampering the immune system.

Summertime

Able900 wrote: Mouth problems can occur as a side effect of these, just be aware of that possibility if you use them.

Of course, they also contain nicotine; research theories claim that nicotine causes physiological changes in the body that feed yeast. Nicotine also depletes the adrenal glands, hampering the immune system.

Thank you very much Able for your reply – much appreciated. I am on just starting to research candida so I am very new to this.

I should have also mentioned in my first post that this year I have been on approximately 11 courses of antibiotics (on and off and not every month) due to surgery and also a couple of UTI’s that I have had. I suppose this would be a huge factor in having Oral Thrush? Infact I also had a couple of courses last year as well & I haven’t done anything till now to try and get rid of this thrush. So my questions are;

As I was taking so many antibiotics for so long will it take a long time to get rid of this thrush? Ie can Oral Thrush be quite stubborn?

I am currently taking Daktarin Oral Gel (miconazole)& have started taking a good strong probiotic in the last 2 weeks – will these help in any way?

The diet on this website is extremely strict and as I travel quite abit for business it may be difficult to stick to this. Is there a less restrictive diet that you can recommend?

Can I eat low sugar fruits such as strawberries, raspberries and pineapple?

Apologies for all the questions – as I said, I’m still new at this and learning.

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Able900
    Spectator

Hello, Summer. Your concerns are addressed below.

Quote: I should have also mentioned in my first post that this year I have been on approximately 11 courses of antibiotics (on and off and not every month) due to surgery and also a couple of UTI’s that I have had. I suppose this would be a huge factor in having Oral Thrush?

Reply: Unfortunately, several courses of antibiotics can set off any type of yeast infection, any of which can turn into a Candida infestation providing all other aspects are present.
    To prevent further UTI’s from occurring; cranberry has been shown to decrease the risk of urinary tract infections by preventing Escherichia coli from binding to the walls of the cell surface. This bacteria is a common cause of urinary tract infections, and they appear to have difficulty adhering to cell membranes in the presence of cranberry. Also, cranberry makes urine more acidic, which can contribute to an antibacterial effect. However, research hasn’t proved that cranberry supplements can actually prevent UTI’s from occurring, although in theory it seems possible. The best type of cranberry to use for this is by purchasing the powder form of cranberry in a capsule from a health food or vitamin store.

Quote: As I was taking so many antibiotics for so long will it take a long time to get rid of this thrush? can Oral Thrush be quite stubborn?

Reply: As far as how long a cure will take is concerned; it really depends on how long and to what extent you’re suffering from the infestation as well as the degree of your dedication to curing it.
    Oral thrush doesn’t have to be that difficult to cure. If you haven’t already read the information on treating oral thrush, I’m sure you’ll find it very helpful.
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst734_ORAL-THRUSH.aspx

Quote: I am currently taking Daktarin Oral Gel (miconazole) & have started taking a good strong probiotic in the last 2 weeks – will these help in any way?

Reply: Antifungals can help to a degree, yes, but none of them can cure a Candida infestation completely. Antifungals simply kill off a certain number of the Candida, but you simply can’t kill off all the Candida that make up an infestation in one or two days because the Candida is constantly multiplying. This means that east time a few thousand new Candida appear, you need to add another course of antifungals to get rid of these. As you see, this can be a continuous cycle of the Candida multiplying and dying off and multiplying again.
    The probiotic is actually what makes the treatment successful; the antifungals only make the symptoms easier to bear as your treat the infestation and sometimes will speed up the treatment. But the type of probiotic is as important as having one. Which brand, count, and strain are you using?

Quote: The diet on this website is extremely strict and as I travel quite abit for business it may be difficult to stick to this. Is there a less restrictive diet that you can recommend?

Reply: I don’t know if you’re speaking of the diet on the website’s official diet page or the one that the members of the forum use. The diet on the website is actually too lenient, as it allows the Candida to continue feasting on some of the foods that keep them thriving. The diet that the members go by is on the forum linked below. I’m sure you are forced to eat all most of the time on your trips; salads with boiled eggs using lemon juice as the salad dressing will be your best chance while traveling. You could also eat eggs for breakfast, but keep in mind that cereals and regular oatmeal, as well as regular yogurt will feed the infestation. If you can order non-sweetened plain Greek yogurt this is alright while you’re traveling, otherwise I would also leave it out of the diet for at least two to three weeks using it only while you’re traveling.
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst1136_ALLOWED-FOODS-LIST.aspx

Quote: Can I eat low sugar fruits such as strawberries, raspberries and pineapple?

Reply: Even a tiny bit of sugar will feed the Candida extending the length of the treatment. This is why fruit is not on the foods list. To treat the infestation, you really need to avoid all foods that the Candida can eat.

By the way, Summer, welcome to the forum. Let me know if you have other questions or concerns.

Able

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

The fruits you mentioned are actually high in sugar content! Pineapple contains 16g of sugar per (cup) serving:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/2019/2

Blueberries might be OK; this is the only fruit I eat and have about 25-50 berries in my yogurt. You might want to save this for halfway into phase 1.

One idea for travelling is to prepare all of your foods in tupperware before you leave and bring around a cooler. Just a thought. Some supermarkets have giant salad bars where you pay per pound; this might be a good idea to pursue. Or you could bring around a few loafs of coconut bread…

Greek yogurt is easy to prepare, just scoop it up into a bowl and eat it!

Just a few thoughts…please send us any more questions!

-Raster

Summertime

Able and Raster, thank you both for your replies. You are both a wealth of information and we are all very fortunate to have you in this forum 🙂

I have read both the information on ‘Oil Pulling’ and the allowed foods and have some more questions;

I have just ordered some organic unrefined Coconut Oil so that I can start oil pulling. It may take a few days for it to arrive so am I able to use virgin olive oil for the time being?

Am I able to brush my teeth with toothpaste after I finishing Oil Pulling? Or can I do it just before I start ‘swishing'(just conscious of bad breath if I don’t brush)

Am I also able to ingest a couple of tablespoons of coconut oil a day? I believe it has antibacterial properties and as I have taken so many antibiotics my gut has taken a beating so I wonder if this would also help?(I would not be swallowing the same oil that I will be swishing with)

Regarding the diet, I have lost quite abit of weight due to anxiety so I am worried that on this diet I will lose more. Am I allowed to have lamb or beef?

Also as I travel quite abit am I also able to have tinned salmon (in water) or tinned tuna (again in water)?

Now regarding my attempts to quit smoking. I have stopped taking the Nicabate Lozenges but my cravings have now started with a vengeance. Would I be able to use nicotine patches instead (as I assume that they might not cause oral thrush)? Also what is a ‘safe’ alternative for nicotine lozenges that will not flare up the thrush again?

Finally, Able you asked which probiotic I am taking and the values. I am from Australia so I am taking one from a company called ‘Wagner’called ‘Probiotica’. These are in capsule form and they contain Lactobacillus gasseri 2.6 billion CFU, Bifidobacterium bifidum 0.2 billion CFU and Bifidobacterium longum 0.2 billion CFU. So all up at total of 3.0 billion CFU. Dosage is 1 per day. Is this strong enough? Would it be safe if I took 2 or 3 a day?

sorry for all the questions! Thanks in advance for your reply.

Able900
    Spectator

Hello, Summer, good to hear from you again. Your questions are answered below.

Question: I have just ordered some organic unrefined Coconut Oil so that I can start oil pulling. It may take a few days for it to arrive so am I able to use virgin olive oil for the time being?

Reply: Yes, the olive oil is fine for now.

Question: Am I able to brush my teeth with toothpaste after I finishing Oil Pulling? Or can I do it just before I start ‘swishing'(just conscious of bad breath if I don’t brush)

Reply: Check your toothpaste for added chemicals and sugar alcohols which can feed Candida just the same as regular sugar can. The ingredients in Desert Essence Natural Tea Tree Oil Toothpaste should be alright for Candida sufferers. Amazon carries this brand. For the time being, if you want to, you can use regular baking soda (not baking powder) dabbed on your toothbrush which is better than using toothpaste that contains chemicals and a sugar alcohol. You can also use half and half hydrogen peroxide and water for a cleansing mouth wash after brushing.

Check your salt while you’re at it, most table salts contain Dextrose which is glucose, a form of sugar capable of feeding the Candida. Himalayan sea salt, the purest form of salt with many life-sustaining minerals still intact, does not contain added ingredients or Dextrose.

Question: Am I also able to ingest a couple of tablespoons of coconut oil a day? I believe it has antibacterial properties and as I have taken so many antibiotics my gut has taken a beating so I wonder if this would also help?

Reply: Yes, you can definitely swallow the coconut oil when you obtain it. Start with just one teaspoonful a day as it’s a very powerful antifungal as well as being a nutritious whole food product. Raise the amounts very slowing every other day. Our protocol calls for doing everything gradually in order to keep as many toxins as possible from entering the body’s system and liver.

Question: Regarding the diet, I have lost quite abit of weight due to anxiety so I am worried that on this diet I will lose more. Am I allowed to have lamb or beef?

Reply: Red meat is definitely bad for your treatment. A byproduct of animal protein metabolism is ammonia which is toxic to the body, and it creates an added workload for the liver which is already overworked by the Candida toxins; one of the toxins that Candida produce is ammonia. In other words, ammonia has a positive effect to the environment as far as making it more hospitable for Candida albicans to thieve. Every time you eat meat products, you create this ammonia which poisons your liver and body in general and benefits the Candida. The higher the protein content, the more ammonia is created.
    Because of their protein, eggs are not nearly as bad as meat, so I would try to eat organic eggs as often as possible and fish or fowl a few times a week. I would leave any types of red meat alone for at least two months of the diet and pork indefinitely.

Quote: Also as I travel quite abit am I also able to have tinned salmon (in water) or tinned tuna (again in water)?

Reply: You really don’t have a lot of options when it comes to eating while traveling. I would eat these sparingly, perhaps once every other day for at least a few weeks.

Quote: Now regarding my attempts to quit smoking. I have stopped taking the Nicabate Lozenges but my cravings have now started with a vengeance. Would I be able to use nicotine patches instead (as I assume that they might not cause oral thrush)? Also what is a ‘safe’ alternative for nicotine lozenges that will not flare up the thrush again?

Reply: I imagine that the nicotine patches will do the same as the lozenges, although I really have no way of knowing this as fact, but anything that enters the body through the skin has the same effect as taking by mouth. And I have no idea as far as an alternative to the lozenges. Raster has attempted to stop smoking for the past several months, and last I heard has slacked off, perhaps he can shed more light on this for you. On the other hand, they probably wouldn’t be as likely to cause soreness in your mouth.

Question: Finally, Able you asked which probiotic I am taking and the values. I am from Australia so I am taking one from a company called ‘Wagner’ called ‘Probiotica’. These are in capsule form and they contain Lactobacillus gasseri 2.6 billion CFU, Bifidobacterium bifidum 0.2 billion CFU and Bifidobacterium longum 0.2 billion CFU. So all up at total of 3.0 billion CFU. Dosage is 1 per day. Is this strong enough? Would it be safe if I took 2 or 3 a day?

Reply: That’s a low dose compared to what it will eventually take to cure the infestation, but for a start, it’ll work for a few weeks. You can raise the dosage by one capsule every four days until you reach five capsules a day. Be sure to take them on an empty stomach, preferably early in the morning or late at night.

Let us know if this doesn’t cover all of your concerns, and good luck on your treatment journey.

Able

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Ya, I haven’t quit smoking yet. However, I have cut back my smoking and reduced it from 8-9 per day to 5-6 a day. Yesterday was the first day I did not really crave smoking and only smoked 4 until 11pm at night which is quite good for me. I simply didn’t want any I guess. I have a feeling that I can continue to slowly reduce my intake over time and don’t want to quit too quickly. I have smoked for the last 12 years (since I was 16) so its a very ingrained habit.

I also smoke cannabis and I take a homeopathic medication that helps reduce my cravings for cannabis. This somehow is lowering my cravings for tobacco also, I think these two addictions are intertwined.

Tobbacco contains sugars and if you have candida, you will crave sugar for the first few weeks on the diet. Eventually this craving will go away and completely dissappear as you get better.

Acupuncture has shown to be very effective for treating folks who want to quit smoking; I highly recommend trying this to treat/assist digestion, sugar cravings, smoking, and general detoxing. Additionally, there are various alternative homeopathic and chinese remedies/herbs that are effective in reducing tobacco cravings and will take these when I want to quit.

-Raster

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Nicorette lozenges (quit smoking)’ is closed to new replies.