This topic contains 28 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  raster 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author

taurusamorous
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 21

Hello everyone!

I have decided to try the Candida Diet after months of dealing with an IBS and Diverticulosis diagnosis. My doctor gave me no guidance or advice whatsoever, telling me to just “eat more fiber”. After 6 long months of bloating, gas, irregular bowel movements (mostly IBS-D), and sharp (and dull) abdominal pain with trying to heal myself naturally, I am at my wit’s end….

I have used natural treatments such as peppermint oil, glutamine powder, aloe with cat’s claw, all green powders, fiber supplements, probiotics…name it I’ve tried it. I do yoga every single day.

Eating with diverticulosis is difficult because I can’t have any nuts,seeds, etc.

A friend suggested I may have an overgrowth of yeast. Now that I have done my research on it, I realize I have almost every single symptom of it, with fatigue, gastrointestinal problems, anxiety, and brain fog being the top culprits.

So I have decided to go on the diet, starting today. I only eat fish, but not red meat, poultry etc. Is it necessary that I start)? Or can I get enough protein elsewhere?(Eggs and plain yogurt?)
    Are there any pescetarians out there going through the same thing?

It seems that this diet is pretty much gluten-free but a bit more strict (no fruit).
    Can I eat brown rice noodles (in the form of pasta)?
    Also, does the garlic NEED to be raw?

Another big question I have is how do I ingest the coconut oil besides using it in cooking. Can I stir it into hot water?

Any advice for a newbie would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, and best of health to you all…

F

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

Actually, you’ll be better off if you do not eat red meat on the diet for various reasons. Eating fish, eggs and yogurt will be excellent choices for your protein. I would go easy on the yogurt for the first two weeks. Eggs can be your main source of protein for a quite while. What types of fish do you normally eat?

Not only should you avoid gluten and fruit, but also all forms of sugar and dairy products (eggs are not considered dairy). Don’t worry about the nuts, many Candida sufferers can’t tolerate any type of nut as most nuts contain mold. You should also change your salt to either Celtic or Himalayan sea salt. Most regular table salt contains Dextrose, a type of sugar. Check your toothpaste ingredients for any type of sugar alcohols as Candida can feed on this as well. Avoid white distilled vinegar, catsup, mustard unless it’s made with apple cider vinegar, and mayonnaise.

I always advise against brown rice for at least the first two weeks on the diet. Then if you feel you really need to add it, have it only once a week.

You can purchase garlic pills instead of eating raw garlic all the time. Be sure to purchase the pills containing allicin which will be on the label.

Coconut oil can be taken by the spoonful which is the best way to take it. The more the better, but don’t start any of the supplements or probiotic until you’ve been on the diet for about two weeks. This is to prevent having a huge die-off attack all at one time. I suppose you could stir the oil into warm water, but you could also chase it with a few drinks of warm water just to get it down.

A great ‘filling’ food is coconut flour bread. The recipe for this is on the forum under the category “Recipes.”

Let us know if you have any other questions about the diet.

Good luck.
    Able

taurusamorous

Hi Able,

Thank you for answering all of my questions!
    I have been on the diet for two days now and I feel CRAZY. I want to fall off of it any chance I get. All I can think about is pizza, bread, chocolate, and soy sauce. Weird right? True signs of a sugar addict?

I have been following what you said above, but have a couple more questions…I decided to skip the cleanse, and have jumped right into stage 1 of the diet. I had a greek yogurt (organic) for breakfast today and noticed it has 6 grams of sugar. Is that ok or do I need to cut it out?

Also, I had a broiled fish this evening, just salted, but is sushi ok?
    Does anyone have a good alternative to soy sauce?

Is sesame oil ok? There was a bit on my seaweed salad.

I know stage 1 is the hardest, but I am REALLY struggling here.

I had a crazy allergic breakout on my face today….mild hives and insanely itchy eyes. Is it normal for this to happen so quickly? Can I take an Allegra for it?

Additionally, I know you mentioned that I should wait a couple of weeks until I introduce the supplements or probiotic. I have already started with garlic. I also read in an earlier post about how the “die off” stage is much more difficult on the body and harsh if everything is introduced at once (antifungals). Advice?

Oh, I forgot to mention earlier that I am on the birth control pill. I am aware that every brand of bc pill has an antibiotic in it. I need to be on it and take it every day….will I still be able to clear my body of this yeast infection?

Thank you once again,
    F

Able900
    Spectator

Hello.

The fact that you’re feeling like you want to ‘fall off’ the diet at the first chance isn’t weird at all but perfectly natural as everyone goes through exactly that in the first few days. Most people find that it gets easier and even acceptable in time. Of course, in the beginning you just have to decide which you want most, to be rid of the Candida symptoms or to eat that carb-laden food you keep thinking about and likely suffer with the symptoms from now on.

A workable soy sauce substitute is Bragg’s Liquid Aminos which are not fermented.

You should either leave the Greek yogurt off the diet for at least two weeks or eat only about three bites at a time, no more than twice a week. This will allow the diet to go to work on cleaning your system. Six grams isn’t that bad after you’ve been on the diet for several weeks, and the benefits of Greek yogurt will outweigh this one negative. Right now you just want to concentrate on making the diet as “clean” as possible which means eating only fresh or frozen vegetables, an organic protein source, and the coconut flour bread.

Sushi is fine, be sure you always use Himalayan or Celtic pure sea salt.

Allegra contains isopropyl which is basically a sugar based substance or compound. This will feed the Candida which will only extend your treatment period. The allergic reaction you experienced is sometimes a die-off symptom but can also be related to the Candida itself. You can take vitamins C which is a natural antihistamine. Acceptable doses are, up to 1000 mg an hour when the symptoms are bothering you, and 1000 mg three to four times a day when they are not. Be sure to drink lots and lots of water as vitamin C is a natural diuretic.

As far as the birth control pill is concerned, I imagine that a lot of women stay on the pill during the treatment. The pills of course contain hormones which are not at all a positive factor for the treatment. If you don’t stick to the diet in the strictest manner and take the suggested probiotics and antifungals during the treatment, the birth control pills may prevent your treatment from working the way you hope, so just be aware of this fact.

Sesame seed oil is alright, but you’d be better off purchasing pure organic coconut oil for cooking and baking. Olive oil is also a good oil, but regardless of what other type you use, you need to definitely use the organic coconut oil part of the tme for cooking, and after a few weeks you should take it during the day by the spoonful as it is one of the best natural antifungals available.

I would stop the garlic pills and concentrate on the diet for a total of two weeks. You’ll no doubt experience die-off symptoms if you simply stick to the diet so you don’t need to add to your problems with even more die-off symptoms. Both Molybdenum and Candidate by Native Remedies will help greatly with the die-off symptoms.

Able

taurusamorous

Hi Able,

Thanks again for all of the information. I do want to stay on the diet, it’s just really hard. The sugar cravings have been getting worse.

I got the Bragg’s, cut out the Greek yogurt for now, got some Himalayan sea salt.

Decided to not take the Allegra, but my allergies have been out of control and I definitely have been suffering. Vitamin C really has not been helping unfortunately. I am also having a problem finding a multivitamin that doesn’t include soy, or sugary fruits and veggies. Any ideas?

I tried using coconut oil for the first time last night when cooking dinner and I was doubled over with stomach pain. Is this normal when introducing it into the body initially?

I have been continuing with fresh garlic because I normally eat a lot of it anyway.

A couple of questions of things I want to clarify…
    Are tomatoes ok (kind of late to ask considering I have been eating them in my salads every day)?
    Is almond butter ok?
    Brazil nuts?

Thanks,
    F

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Tomatoes are considered a fruit and have sugars in them. They are to be avoided for phase 1 of diet.

Almond butter is OK during phase 2 of diet, but could set you back some from getting better during the diet. I personally noticed a reaction to almond butter so avoided it for the time being.

The stomach stuff is normal during the die-off. Expect more of it and also a ton of gas.

Able900
    Spectator

Hello.

As I mentioned, the allergic reactions could be die-off symptoms. You should try and find Molybdenum and Candidate by Native Remedies as soon as possible, both of which will help significantly with the die-off symptoms.

Concerning your reaction to the coconut oil, my question is how much did you take or did you just use it in cooking? You had been on the diet for four days when you tried the coconut oil last night; depending on how much you had plus the fact that you were probably in at least a mild stage of die-off, the oil could have triggered a stronger a die-off reaction. Was the pain immediately following the oil or a bit later? Coconut oil is actually not only a big plus for the Candida treatment, but for your diverticulosis as well.

Speaking of diverticulosis (diverticulitis as well); research reports claim that natural aids for that are silica supplements or silica sources such as oat bran, nettle leaf, and seaweeds as well as foods high in vitamin C, just avoid those with small seeds, of course. Yucca root combined with licorice root is good for cleaning out the diverticula. All of these products are suitable to the Candida treatment.

You probably know to stay away from psyllium husk (with or without diverticulitis) which is mentioned often for cleansing during a Candida treatment (can be dangerous).

Also, be sure not to take coarsely ground herbs as they sometimes contain bits of seed. You probably already knew all of that, just making sure.

As long as you’re not receiving a reaction from the tomatoes I think perhaps half a tomato twice a week would be fine. Stop eating anything that you believe you’ve received a Candida symptom reaction to.

I would leave the almond butter alone for two weeks during a complete ‘food’ cleanse. Brazil nuts? I thought you were avoiding nuts because of the diverticulosis. But if not I would still leave them alone for now.

Able

taurusamorous

Hi Able,

So I ordered the Candidate online and I should be getting it later this week. I found a multivitamin with Molybdenum (as Biokey molybdenum chelate) 75mcg…but it says it’s 100% of the daily value. Do I take an additional dose?If so how much?

I used quite a bit of the coconut oil in cooking. The pain was immediately afterward.I will continue to use it, despite the discomfort it caused.

Yes…diverticulosis….I don’t really eat oat bran in general, but the other things you mentioned I do have in my diet. Thank you for the suggestions!

It’s interesting what you say about the psyllium husk. My GI told me to take it DAILY to get more fiber and clean out the colon. Strange, right? It does cause bloating and I stopped using it a few months ago.

I’ll cut down on the tomatoes 🙁 and steer clear of the almond butter for a few weeks. I thought Brazil nuts would be ok because they are not as course, but I should probably cut all nuts and seeds out in general.

Thanks again,
    F

Able900
    Spectator

Hello, Taurus.

If the Molybdenum you have is in a multiple vitamin, you probably won’t be able to take additional doses. I seriously doubt that 75 msg will be sufficient to prevent some of the die-off symptoms when you start the probiotic and eventually increase the coconut oil.

I never recommend multiple vitamins as they’re always manufactured with the incorrect amounts. What is the name of yours?

The fact that your GI told you to use psyllium husk every day is just one more example of how ignorant our medical professionals are when it comes to nutrition and nutritional supplements. It also helps to explain why there are around 190,000 deaths a year caused by medical errors.
    Psyllium husk can and has caused severe bleeding in the intestines caused by the hardness and sharpness of the husks.

You said that you do not eat oat bran in general, but I wanted you to understand that I wasn’t speaking any type of regular oat products such as you would find on the cereal shelf at your local supermarket. Oat bran is normally only found at health food stores. Below is a description just in case you ever decide to use it.
    “Oat Bran is produced through the grinding of pure oat groats and separating the oat flour.”
    This means that oat bran looks just like a tan-colored flour when it’s completed and is generally used in cooking.

If you have any questions, please ask.

Able

taurusamorous

Hi Able,

The multivitamin is Weil (Andrew Weil, MD) Daily Multivitamin for Optimum Health. His philosophies don’t bother me like most MDs do. I feel that I need to be taking a multivitamin while in stage 1 for sure. Do you suggest I get additional Molybdenum?

Don’t even get me started on the state of western medicine and the doctors who have ruined me practicing it. I have been to so many GIs who have given me endoscopy after endoscopy followed by colonoscopy, finding diverticulosis and telling me the rest (of the symptoms and issues) are “all in my head”. “EAT MORE FIBER!”
    I would imagine psyllium husk would not be safe, just by looking at it, and its texture.

Ok, I’m done with my rant there.

Thanks for clarifying the oat bran questions. I can definitely get the flour and cook with it if that’s ok. I am finally going to try your recipe for coconut bread today!

It’s day 6 of stage 1 and I am feeling like a new woman!

Oh, is it ok to eat edamame?

Thanks,
    F

Katy Gillett
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 137

Hi Able.. Chipping in in another of your conversations. All this talk about oat bran and I wanted to ask your advice yet again. Whenever I eat oat bran it makes me run to the toilet (sorry) and have a sore/sicky stomach for a couple of hours after. Could this be because it may not have been gluten free or could I really have a problem with oat bran?

Able900
    Spectator

Hi, Katy.

The reason is probably because oat bran is so full of fiber; in fact, it has more soluble fiber than any other grain you can purchase.

Able900
    Spectator

taurusamorous wrote: The multivitamin is Weil (Andrew Weil, MD) Daily Multivitamin for Optimum Health. His philosophies don’t bother me like most MDs do. I feel that I need to be taking a multivitamin while in stage 1 for sure. Do you suggest I get additional Molybdenum?
    Oh, is it ok to eat edamame?F

Edamame is supposedly an alternative choice for soybeans, so I would guess that it’s alright, but I’ve not been able to find a lot of research with edamame in the past. Perhaps making it a ‘test’ food is a wise decision if you want to try them.

I looked at your multiple vitamins from Weil, and it’s a perfect example of the biggest problem I have with multiple vitamins which is the percentages of daily requirements on the label.

One capsule of Weil’s multiple contains 833% of the daily requirement of Vitamin B12, on the other hand it only contains 33% of the requirement for Biotin (B7). Does this seem logical? Why would anyone need 8 times the minimum daily requirement for one B vitamin, and not even 100% of another one? It makes no sense, are they trying to say that the minimum requirements are totally incorrect?

Biotin is one of the most important B vitamins in a Candida treatment, but with Weil’s vitamin you could easily become deficient in Biotin simply from taking far more than is needed of others. This only causes the natural ratio of B vitamins in the human body to become completely out of sync.

Biotin’s contribution to the treatment of Candida is its ability to prevent Candida albicans from converting to an invasive, fungal and dangerous form. The form I’m speaking of is that of a fungus with branching root-like filaments which are capable of embedding into the intestinal walls thus allowing the Candida to move into the bloodstream and possibly leading to septic shock.

As far as the Molybdenum is concerned, you can go ahead and purchase some additional, or you can wait and see if that amount will protect you from bad die-off symptoms. You’re not possibly planning to take more than one of the multiple vitamins a day, are you?

Quote: “It’s day 6 of stage 1 and I am feeling like a new woman!”
    I was very pleased to see the above statement, Taurus.

Able

jeeper3995
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 2

I have been doing pretty good for 7 years but due to a heart missing beat my stress level went through the moon. Therefore my candida cam back big time leaving me with a light case of ulcers and a hiatal hernia. Wow, have I been suffering and chasing my tail trying to find a doc to help. Last week my nutritional doc put me on caprol, phyllium, probiatic and bentonite drink once per day. The die off was killing me so I took three days off. Now that I am on Beta Blocker, I am calm down and back on my old fish, eggs, chicken and vegetable diet. I have lost 28 lbs and look like a rail. I was taking Threelac and after a while it didn’t seem to work like before. I was taking three per day. Years ago I took capril and it worked great for about 7 years and then I switched for awhile to GSE. What I am saying is I need help again. I am very strict about my diet.
    comments?

Georgewilliam
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 1

as per my knowledge tell me however you invest your time on your service you are always the newbie because it is human behaviour to collect his knowledge

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Newbie’ is closed to new replies.