New to forum – Looking for hope

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions New to forum – Looking for hope

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  raster 5 years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Nicky181
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 2

Hello Everyone!

I got Thrush 6 months ago thanks to my Q-Var asthma inhaler. I began working with an MD/acupunturist who got me started on the Candida diet. She told me I could eat things like Miso (a living food), Xylitol, Kombucha, cashews, avocado sushi rolls, cultured dairy products, a small potato, and popcorn. She said things would be okay if I kept my carbs to under 80/day. I had three courses of Diflucan during this time along with probiotics and various supplements. Things improved and symtoms got better, until…..

1 month ago I made the mistake of eating some In & Out french fries, thinking it’s potato and I can have a little potato. I had forgotten to pack my usual arsenal of food that day when my daughter and I ran out to do a quick errand that ended up taking longer. Candida symptoms came roaring back with a vengence within 24 hours of eating the french fries. My symptoms are dry mouth at night, toothpaste burns, tongue gets numb, loss of taste, cracking of corners of the mouth, some inflamation of the lips, itchy face and ankles (?), and bizarre inflammation around the eyes that I could never explain. Around the same time, several of the fingers on my right hand started to tingle/hurt. I wake up every morning with weak/hurting fingers, but it gets better as the day wears on. I should add that I have anger issues and a low sex drive. I always thought it was just me and felt badly about myself, now I’m thinking it might be Candida. Also, the anger issues and low sex drive did not improve on the diet, only the mouth symptoms, inflammation, and itching got better. Does anyone else have Candida symptoms in their mouth?

By way of history…. up until 6 months ago, I LOVED sugar. While I always ate my protein and vegetables, I was a big fan of what came before the main meal (love bread!) and after the healthy stuff (dessert). I assume I didn’t stay on the diet long enough, but how long is long enough??? And how important is the water I drink — do I really need to drink distilled H20? Can I drink filtered water from my refrigerator? Can anyone tell me if the stuff I was eating is okay, specifically the Miso, Gingerade Kombucha (contains 2 grams sugar), and cultured dairy?

I would like to find another doctor/nutritionist/naturopath to help me. I live in the Bay Area in Marin County – does anybody know anyone in this area who can help? I recently started over (again!)and this diet makes me feel like a prisoner.

Thanks in advance for any help, suggestions, or words of support.

Nicky

Vegan Catlady
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 626

I think its great that you are looking for a new naturopath.
    The diet that the last one gave you was super non-restrictive…which is really nice, but likely kept the candida around in good numbers.She might have called it a “candida diet” but it sure wasnt.

The problem with cheating in the early stages of the diet is that it only takes a few hours for the candida to multiply like crazy. This will un-do alot of progress.

I recommend checking out The Candida Diet and following that really strictly for a couple of weeks.
    Some of us follow it for years.

Popcorn,potatoes,starchy foods in general are forbidden in the first few weeks, and after the 2 weeks are up, you want to hit your candida with some natural antifungals.

I know you said you took diflucan, but were you really diligent with the probiotics? Took it every day?
    If you had symptoms after one cheat of fries, the candida never left unfortunately.

I have candida in my mouth, esophagus, and likely in my gut.
    If you had all those symptoms you listed, then candida is not just in your mouth, its in your system.
    Dont freak, you can begin treating right now with a change of diet and some at home remedies.

Start reading here- http://www.thecandidadiet.com/
    Follow this list- http://www.thecandidadiet.com/foodstoeat.htm
    Eliminate this list- http://www.thecandidadiet.com/foodstoavoid.htm

Im sure a lot of other people will weigh-in, as we all have different ways we handle our candida issues.
    Some of us have had it for a long time, some of us only have a weak case of it.
    Some of us follow altered candida diets, some of use different protocols to get rid of it.

In any event, how long it takes to get rid of varies with the individual, so relax and start doing ALOT of reading.
    There is some good stuff on this forum,lots of experiences, and you will be able to discern what is most likely to work for you by sifting through some of it.In the section Candida Stories, some have logged their progress. This was helpful to me so that I could begin feeling like I wasnt alone, and that progress can be made with time and effort.

Western Doctors suck. There, I said it. They prescribe stuff that they cant fix the fall-out from.
    Journal your diet, you’ll be glad you did when you need to see patterns of flare-ups and feeling good 🙂

Nicky181

Thank you, Cat Lady, for your thoughts and suggestions. I really appreciate it and will curl up tonight and take a look at the websites you suggested.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Here is a website you can use to find local ND’s:

https://www.functionalmedicine.org/practitioner_search.aspx?id=117

Vegan catlady is partially correct but I think you need to get even stricter than the main website and you need to be strict long term and not short term. There are problematic foods on the food list including beef, pork, etc. I would only do kombucha if conjunction with a boulardii protocol or after you’ve made a big dent in the candida numbers.

I wouldn’t drink tap water unless its fluoride free.

I’d introduce dairy late in your treatment if it was me.

-raster

Nicky181

Hi Raster,

I’ve been reading your comments on this forum and taking notes. Thank you for responding to my post. I am meeting a new nutritionist today who says she’s been through Candida herself. Hopefully she can help me as I am unfamiliar with a lot of the products/supplements/medicines/protocols mentioned on this forum. One thing (and only one thing) seems clear — my diet was too lenient.

What do you drink for water? Is there a specific brand of bottled water that you recommend?

I appreciate your help!

Take care,

Nicky

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Well here in portland we don’t put fluoride in the water, so I’m quite lucky. If you can somehow get a fluoride filter, I would look into this. I know there are some reverse osmosis installs you can add to your tap, but unsure whether these remove fluoride or not. I would consider going to a water purification store and see what products they can offer. At the least, I know the propur water filter works to remove fluoride from the water. My wife is a big bottled water person who drinks mineral water only pretty much despite our high quality water.

The nutritionist can help but they might only be able to stabilize you and not bring a “cure” which is hard to achieve from my experience…so in time you might want to branch out and get other ideas. I’d try to find someone who has 20-30 years treating yeast and digestive problems.

-raster

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘New to forum – Looking for hope’ is closed to new replies.