New Forum – Please Read!

Home The Candida Forum Announcements & Technical Support New Forum – Please Read!

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  anna 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

anna
    Keymaster
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 184

Hi everyone,

It took us a little longer than expected, but we have finally transferred the website and forum. You should find it faster and much more reliable. The new forum home is http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forums/.

Here are a few things that you should know:

Logins

Your existing login has been transferred over, but your password has not. When you try to log in for the first time, simply click on ‘Lost Password’ on the right hand side of the screen. Then enter your username or email, and click on ‘Reset My Password’. You will then be sent an email with instructions on creating a new password.

If you have any difficulties logging in or resetting your password, contact me here: http://www.thecandidadiet.com/contact/

Old/New URLs

You will notice that the URLs have changed. Here are 2 examples of old and new URLs:

OLD: http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst9282_Raster-s-safe-food-list.aspx
    NEW: http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forums/topic/rasters-safe-food-list-3/

OLD: http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst9284_Forum-Rules.aspx
    NEW: http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forums/topic/forum-rules-88/

In these two examples, I have set up redirects so the old URLs automatically redirect to the new URLs. However, I have only done this for about 50 of the most popular posts. If there are any other URLs which you think need this (for example posts that you referenced repeatedly in the old forum), let me know and I can redirect them too.

Forum avatars

If you would like to add an avatar to your profile, the process is a little different now. The forum uses the public avatar that you can set up at http://gravatar.com. Just set up a Gravatar account using your email address, add an avatar, and it will appear on this forum.

Editing old posts

One of the biggest problems we had in the old forum was that spammers would create a legitimate post, then go back and add in some spammy links to it a few days later when it had fallen off the front page. To prevent this, you will only be able to edit posts for 3 hours after creating them. If there is a post that you really want to change, contact me and I can help.

Editing your profile

To edit your profile, just click on your username on the right hand side of the screen. Then click on ‘Edit’. Here, you can add a signature, change your password, and add various biographical info if you wish.

Let me know if you have any problems!

Best,
    Anna

“In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties.” - Henri Amiel

Rabelais
    Blocked
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 268

Hi Anna,

Under your heading “Logins”, you say that it’s possible to enter a username or password. That sentence should read that you can enter your username or email.

I just succeeded in logging in, and I’m now taking my first look at the new forums.

Thanks for all your hard work!

Rabelais

anna
    Keymaster

Hi Anna,

Under your heading “Logins”, you say that it’s possible to enter a username or password. That sentence should read that you can enter your username or email.

I just succeeded in logging in, and I’m now taking my first look at the new forums.

Thanks for all your hard work!

Rabelais

Fixed. Thanks for letting me know!

“In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties.” - Henri Amiel

lead
    Participant
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 30

A whole lot of features are lost after the update. Just to name a few: I can’t see who has thanked a post (I can’t thank any of them too), you can’t see user activity on the forum homepage, you can’t go straight to the last post on a thread by clicking a button next to the name of the thread, you can’t see who is currently viewing the thread you’re viewing, you can’t see who is currently in a specific subforum, I can’t find the Mercury subsubforum, people like raster are now just participants instead of candida experts, you can’t see how many people have viewed specific threads, etc.  Very disappointing.

anna
    Keymaster

A whole lot of features are lost after the update. Just to name a few: I can’t see who has thanked a post (I can’t thank any of them too), you can’t see user activity on the forum homepage, you can’t go straight to the last post on a thread by clicking a button next to the name of the thread, you can’t see who is currently viewing the thread you’re viewing, you can’t see who is currently in a specific subforum, I can’t find the Mercury subsubforum, people like raster are now just participants instead of candida experts, etc. Very disappointing.

Hi lead

Its true that we have moved to a simpler forum software. The previous software had more features but was extremely buggy and unreliable. For example the search function rarely worked properly. This new forum software will be much more reliable, and once we get it working in a consistent and stable fashion, we can start adding some features back.

As for user activity, you can see the recent topics and replies in the right sidebar.

Regarding the Mercury subforum, I removed that because only 2-3 people had actually posted in it. There hadn’t been any activity in some time, and it only contained a small number of posts. So I merged it back in with the General Discussion forum when we moved. If we’re going to maintain subforums, they need to be used. You can easily find posts on mercury by using the Search function.

Best,
    Anna

lead
    Participant

When I said ‘user activity on the forum homepage’, I meant a whole lot of different statistics, like ‘most users logged in on Jan 1st, 2015’, ‘logged in during the last 24 hours: …’, ‘currently browsing the forum’, etc. Those are not extremely useful, but it would be great to see the ‘thanking’ feature back (along with the usernames and the amount of people having thanked older posts shown too).

anna
    Keymaster

Thanks lead, these are some features that we can certainly look at adding back in the near future. For now though, we need to make sure the whole site is running OK for a while before we start making new changes.

anna
    Keymaster

OK I took a look in the software, and I think we can get more information into those ‘Recent Topics’ and ‘Recent Replies’ boxes on the right. Take a look now. There’s not enough space, but I can probably move them out of the sidebar and underneath the main forum area, like in the old forum. I’ll try to figure that out later today.

UPDATE: I added a new area called ‘RECENT DISCUSSIONS’ that has much of the functionality from the last forum. i.e. recent posts with the username and the time.

lead
    Participant

I suggest not making it so that “by user” blends in with the thread titles in the active discussions tab on the right. They can easily be mistaken to be a part of the titles at first glance (not important at all but I thought I should mention it).

anna
    Keymaster

I suggest not making it so that “by user” blends in with the thread titles in the active discussions tab on the right. They can easily be mistaken to be a part of the titles at first glance (not important at all but I thought I should mention it).

Good point! Take a look now

anna
    Keymaster

UPDATE:

Someone made a great point that lots of the internal links within the forum are not working right now. For example, the links in this post:
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forums/topic/alternative-methods-to-get-better-if-you-reach-a-dead-end-in-your-treatmenrasters-perspective-41/

We’re going to go through and find all the internal links within the forum, and redirect them so they point to the correct posts. It should hopefully be done within the next week or so

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘New Forum – Please Read!’ is closed to new replies.