Need guidance from experts. Able, raster, dvjorge?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Need guidance from experts. Able, raster, dvjorge?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  shayfo 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

kerra89
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 12

I began my research on Candida back in March 2013, and finally think I’m getting some things right; however, I am really in need of some help.

When I started, I was convinced my case was minimal, considering I am young (23), active, and have maintained a pretty healthy diet for the past 3 years. Therefore, I thought I could cure myself within a month, easily. I was wrong, of course.

So – As of June 20th, I began a 5-day cleanse to lead into the strict forum diet and protocol. I only just added organic eggs to my diet yesterday… otherwise, it’s just veggies, OO, CO, herbs/seasonings, and detox drinks/teas.

I have a lot of questions for the experts on here who are willing/able to help.

QUESTION 1. Earlier this week, I tested the Bentonite Clay/Psyllium Husk drink for two days (taking it once per day), and I experienced no pain or intestinal discomfort. Does this mean it is safe for me to take, or should I still use a different fiber?

QUESTION 2. In my past failed attempts at the diet/protocol, I measured my success by the absence/presence of a vaginal yeast infection. When it came up, I knew I’d gone too far off track. However, three days into starting my Candida Cleanse, I had a flare-up. Since I hadn’t consumed anything to cause it, I knew it must be a symptom of Die-Off, and nothing else. So my question is: How do I know when a vaginal flare-up is due to Die-Off, or to feeding Candida? I fear the lines are going to be blurred once I start adding new foods.

QUESTION 3. The cleanse has worked wonders so far by turning the horrible diarrhea I’d been having (from overdosing on CO) into regular, healthy bowel movements. Now that they’re healthy, should I be making sure my BMs are healthy/regular throughout this treatment? Or is it OK to allow some diarrhea/gas when using CO and probiotics? Does the diarrhea inhibit progress, or does it help me eliminate toxins faster?

QUESTION 4. If I have a vaginal yeast infection that is acute, should I be considering a dose of Diflucan to clear it up during the rest of the treatment? It seems like they tend to flare in the mornings, though the symptoms have always been bearable for me. As of right now, I am planning on soaking a tampon in CO and inserting it nightly, to see if that helps. Is this procedure worth it, or should I focus on the diet/CO/probiotics, and let the acute infection be? Is there a danger to letting an acute infection be at this point?

QUESTION 5. By failing at the treatment, cheating, and then starting over again, have I effectively made the candida stronger? Am I worse than I was at the beginning? Or have I still been making progress despite setting myself back a bit?

QUESTION 6. I never had allergies or intolerances to gluten or dairy prior to the diet, and even when I cheated with them after starting the diet, I didn’t have any reactions. Does that mean kefir and yogurt are safe for me to consume right away, now that I’ve begun a stricter diet? (The same question goes for other foods that I never reacted to before, namely almondmilk, stevia, and peanut butter.)

QUESTION 7. Upon starting the cleanse, I had a flare of vaginal yeast, plus I began bleeding lightly for the next few days. This happened on two other occasions when I tried treating candida earlier this year. Is this normal? When it stops, does it mean that I’m no longer killing candida?

QUESTION 8 (MOST IMPORTANT). How do I know that I’m making progress? Half the time I feel like I’m imagining the good signs I see, and sometimes I am not sure if the signs mean I’m feeding or killing Candida (gas/bloating, vaginal infections, etc).

I guess I just don’t know what condition my mind/body should be in while I’m doing this diet. When I have Die-Off symptoms and diarrhea/constipation, I at least know that something I’ve done is killing yeast, but I don’t know to what degree that is good. When I don’t have Die-Off symptoms and my digestion is regular, I fear that I’m making no progress.

Those are the questions I can think of so far; However, I know I have millions more. If it helps, you can find a quick summary of what I’ve been through since March in this post.

PLEASE – I am desperate for your guidance. I read this forum religiously- it’s my only source of advice, as my doctor is completely useless regarding this problem.

Thank you in advance!

kerra89

thegreendiva
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 3

I think the experts are busy, or maybe looking into your specific questions. I found Smitty to be very helpful! I hope someone answers as I’d like to know too 🙂

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

Here’s my semi-expert take:

QUESTION 1. Earlier this week, I tested the Bentonite Clay/Psyllium Husk drink for two days (taking it once per day), and I experienced no pain or intestinal discomfort. Does this mean it is safe for me to take, or should I still use a different fiber?

Chia is a better fiber to take. Psyllium husk can be abrasive even if you don’t realize it. I personally find that it’s helpful to soak your chia seeds for at least 10 minutes before drinking them, so that they absorb as much water as they’re going to before you ingest them. Then just add more water so it’s drinkable again. It’s possible to become constipated from chia seeds if they’re not properly hydrated, since they’ll absorb water from your system. There’s more info on the cleanse (since I’m assuming you’re starting with that if you’re making this drink) here: http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst997_Proper-and-Safe-Cleanse.aspx

QUESTION 2. In my past failed attempts at the diet/protocol, I measured my success by the absence/presence of a vaginal yeast infection. When it came up, I knew I’d gone too far off track. However, three days into starting my Candida Cleanse, I had a flare-up. Since I hadn’t consumed anything to cause it, I knew it must be a symptom of Die-Off, and nothing else. So my question is: How do I know when a vaginal flare-up is due to Die-Off, or to feeding Candida? I fear the lines are going to be blurred once I start adding new foods.

This is sort of difficult to discern, but if you’re having other signs of die-off (headache, fatigue, etc), it’s a good bet that it’s die-off. This is where not cheating comes into play — if you cheat and have issues, it can be really hard to distinguish these setbacks from die-off. If you’re not cheating, you can pretty safely assume you’re on the right track. Also, you won’t really be introducing many new foods until you’re symptom-free, and at that point, it’ll be much simpler to discern what’s problematic and what’s not.

QUESTION 3. The cleanse has worked wonders so far by turning the horrible diarrhea I’d been having (from overdosing on CO) into regular, healthy bowel movements. Now that they’re healthy, should I be making sure my BMs are healthy/regular throughout this treatment? Or is it OK to allow some diarrhea/gas when using CO and probiotics? Does the diarrhea inhibit progress, or does it help me eliminate toxins faster?

As long as you aren’t experiencing chronic diarrhea, it’s not really too problematic. Constipation is a much greater concern, since the longer you have a toxin in your body, the more damage it can do.

QUESTION 4. If I have a vaginal yeast infection that is acute, should I be considering a dose of Diflucan to clear it up during the rest of the treatment? It seems like they tend to flare in the mornings, though the symptoms have always been bearable for me. As of right now, I am planning on soaking a tampon in CO and inserting it nightly, to see if that helps. Is this procedure worth it, or should I focus on the diet/CO/probiotics, and let the acute infection be? Is there a danger to letting an acute infection be at this point?

I don’t know what to tell you about Diflucan, but I am sort of wary of the idea of wearing tampons every night, even if they’re soaked in coconut oil. If you’re going to try that, I would strongly recommend using chlorine-free, organic cotton tampons. Tampons are full of chemicals, and the risk of toxic shock from them is higher when you’re not actually menstruating. Alternately, you might try just applying coconut oil by hand before you go to sleep, and just either wear old underwear or a pad. You can buy or make cloth pads that’ll further reduce your exposure to the weird bleachy crap they process feminine products with. Okay, hippie hygiene rant over.

QUESTION 5. By failing at the treatment, cheating, and then starting over again, have I effectively made the candida stronger? Am I worse than I was at the beginning? Or have I still been making progress despite setting myself back a bit?

I don’t know what to tell you with this. A lot of people do experience relapses of greater intensity than their initial symptoms when they stop and start. I would just recommend really sticking to it this time.

QUESTION 6. I never had allergies or intolerances to gluten or dairy prior to the diet, and even when I cheated with them after starting the diet, I didn’t have any reactions. Does that mean kefir and yogurt are safe for me to consume right away, now that I’ve begun a stricter diet? (The same question goes for other foods that I never reacted to before, namely almondmilk, stevia, and peanut butter.)

Homemade kefir is ideal, and I think greek yogurt is extolled more than regular yogurt. Stevia is included on Able’s strict diet, in its pure form (check the ingredients for xylitol, lactose, etc). Nut items can contain mold, so if you’re going to eat those, it would be advisable to make your own from soaked and/or roasted nuts. Making nut milks and butters is pretty easy if you have a decent blender or food processor. It’s not a bad idea to cut them out of your diet for a while anyway, to see whether you really react or not. I’ve been assuming my whole life that I can eat peanuts with no problem, but when I recently tried to reintroduce them, I reacted by getting diarrhea and acne. I was totally shocked.

QUESTION 7. Upon starting the cleanse, I had a flare of vaginal yeast, plus I began bleeding lightly for the next few days. This happened on two other occasions when I tried treating candida earlier this year. Is this normal? When it stops, does it mean that I’m no longer killing candida?

By bleeding, do you mean spotting/discharging blood vaginally? (I ask to distinguish from actual bleeding, like from a wound.) I personally have not had this symptom and can’t speak to how common it is, but I doubt it correlates strongly to whether or not candida is dying. When you change your diet drastically, your hormones tend to freak out a little. Or a lot, sometimes. I would keep an eye on this, but I wouldn’t worry much yet.

QUESTION 8 (MOST IMPORTANT). How do I know that I’m making progress? Half the time I feel like I’m imagining the good signs I see, and sometimes I am not sure if the signs mean I’m feeding or killing Candida (gas/bloating, vaginal infections, etc).

I guess I just don’t know what condition my mind/body should be in while I’m doing this diet. When I have Die-Off symptoms and diarrhea/constipation, I at least know that something I’ve done is killing yeast, but I don’t know to what degree that is good. When I don’t have Die-Off symptoms and my digestion is regular, I fear that I’m making no progress.

It helps to keep a journal or log of how you’re feeling day to day. I think it’s really difficult to discern day-to-day improvements, but in looking back over a longer period of time (weeks/months), the improvements are obvious and impressive. Day 12 and day 20 might not feel so different, but day 30 and day 60 certainly do. Documentation helps, since good days and bad days feel like they happen in no particular order sometimes.

I hope some of this helps. I’m sure all these hyperopinionated boys will be here soon to give their two cents.

msmofish
    Replies: 96

Hi Kerra
    You ask great insightful questions.I doubt I can respond any better than Shayfo did.
    But I can suggest this link that’s been helpful for me

http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst435_What-helped-me-cure-my-vaginal-yeast-infections.aspx

I have had a hard time sticking to the diet. It’s not always easy but well worth it in the long run. After reading about the successful people who have 6 months on the strict diet, I was propelled into action. I am now over 6 weeks in & am happy to be on the way to balanced health. A few weeks ago I did have a really bad yeast infection, worse than ever. I took 1 diflucan & followed all of the suggestion in above link & still do to best of my ability. If I do have a flare up I’ll be following all of the suggestions above first.

Fortunately we have this forum to help each other.
    I wish you happy healing
    best
    Mo

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Here are my responses:

QUESTION 1. I still wouldn’t take these two products because they can cause chronic constipation and don’t bring much benefit.

QUESTION 2. You likely are going to have these yeast infections throughout your treatment die-off or not, cheating or not, so its likely related to other factors.

QUESTION 3. You generally don’t want diarrhea throughout your treatment and it should go away completely as you get better.

QUESTION 4. I cannot answer this question because I dont know the answer.

QUESTION 5. You need time to get better so when you cheat, its like negative time in your treatment essentially (in other words it wastes the time you put into your treatment)

QUESTION 6. I would introduce these one at a time after 2 weeks on the diet like it is stated in the protocol and if no problems then continue.

QUESTION 7. It’s likely normal but I am not a woman or expert on this stuff.

QUESTION 8 (MOST IMPORTANT). As long as you start to feel better and not spiral downwards then you should be making progress. If things get really really bad and you aren’t protecting your liver, then you might want to reconsider your approach or get professional advice.

-raster

kerra89

shayfo;45358 wrote: Here’s my semi-expert take:

Chia is a better fiber to take. Psyllium husk can be abrasive even if you don’t realize it. I personally find that it’s helpful to soak your chia seeds for at least 10 minutes before drinking them, so that they absorb as much water as they’re going to before you ingest them. Then just add more water so it’s drinkable again. It’s possible to become constipated from chia seeds if they’re not properly hydrated, since they’ll absorb water from your system. There’s more info on the cleanse (since I’m assuming you’re starting with that if you’re making this drink) here: http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst997_Proper-and-Safe-Cleanse.aspx

It helps to keep a journal or log of how you’re feeling day to day. I think it’s really difficult to discern day-to-day improvements, but in looking back over a longer period of time (weeks/months), the improvements are obvious and impressive. Day 12 and day 20 might not feel so different, but day 30 and day 60 certainly do. Documentation helps, since good days and bad days feel like they happen in no particular order sometimes.

I hope some of this helps. I’m sure all these hyperopinionated boys will be here soon to give their two cents.

Hi shayfo,

Thank you so, so much for all of your detailed, thoughtful responses. I can’t accurately explain how relieving it is to hear from you, especially at a time when I’m feeling a lot of anxiety about doing things right.

I discovered Chia seeds a few months ago and have made puddings/shakes with them already – I love them! I think I definitely will start to incorporate them more frequently into my diet.

I have been keeping a food/BM diary as well, and it’s helped me to stay consistent. I’m looking forward to day 60 when I can look back and really see my progress 🙂

I think the biggest issue for me is that it seems my Candida symptoms were not as extreme prior to starting treatment as they were for other people. The two things that really got me researching it were A.) chronic sinus infections, and B.) chronic vaginal yeast infections. So when I’m undergoing the diet/protocol, and continue to see V infection symptoms, I sometimes get extremely confused and worried because it’s as if no progress is being made. But like you said- it’s not about the day to day, it’s about the long term, and I should trust my research and be patient.

The one thing I do rely on to prove to myself that I’m right is that the smallest overdose of coconut oil or kefir can send me into bad gas/bloating pains and diarrhea, and lately, constant fatigue; so I KNOW that Die-Off must be occurring for probiotics/antifungals to disrupt my body like that. If I did NOT have a Candida infestation, I could consume CO and Kefir/Yogurt as much as I wanted without experiencing pain, right?

Thank you again for all of your help- I’m beyond grateful!!

Kerra

kerra89

raster;45381 wrote: QUESTION 2. You likely are going to have these yeast infections throughout your treatment die-off or not, cheating or not, so its likely related to other factors.

-raster

Thank you raster!
    One question: Why am I likely going to have them throughout my treatment? If I’m starving/killing the yeast in my body, shouldn’t it be going away?
    This upsets me because they’re the primary symptom I want to get rid of.

I just wrote this to shayfo, but I’ll also pose this question to you, since I’d like to know your take as well:

The one thing I do rely on to prove to myself that I’m right is that the smallest overdose of coconut oil or kefir can send me into bad gas/bloating pains and diarrhea, and lately, constant fatigue; so I KNOW that Die-Off must be occurring for probiotics/antifungals to disrupt my body like that. If I did NOT have a Candida infestation, I could consume CO and Kefir/Yogurt as much as I wanted without experiencing pain, right?

Again, thank you for your time and thoughtfulness.

Kerra

kerra89

Bumping post… anyone else who has insight on this, I’d be so relieved to hear from!

raster
    Participant

It takes a long long time to reduce the candida numbers to the point where they don’t live in your mucousal membranes and you don’t have yeast infections…it won’t be magically killed off in one week or one month and no more infections. You need to change the environment internally within the body in order to get rid of yeast.

Additionally, my naturopath feels that if you have candida in your sexual organs, you likely have candida/yeast in your kidneys. I don’t know how you could kill it off in the kidneys but there must be a way he knows about…

-raster

kerra89

raster;45587 wrote: It takes a long long time to reduce the candida numbers to the point where they don’t live in your mucousal membranes and you don’t have yeast infections…it won’t be magically killed off in one week or one month and no more infections. You need to change the environment internally within the body in order to get rid of yeast.

Additionally, my naturopath feels that if you have candida in your sexual organs, you likely have candida/yeast in your kidneys. I don’t know how you could kill it off in the kidneys but there must be a way he knows about…

-raster

Thank you raster. That makes me feel a lot better about how I’ve been doing with this diet. I was focusing so much on day-to-day yeast infections that their presence were enough to depress me and feel like all my work was in vain.

If I had candida/yeast in my kidneys, wouldn’t I be getting UTIs and things like that? I certainly hope that’s not the case, it sounds a lot harder to get rid of.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

kerra89;45629 wrote: If I had candida/yeast in my kidneys, wouldn’t I be getting UTIs and things like that? I certainly hope that’s not the case, it sounds a lot harder to get rid of.

Hello, Kerra.

Sometimes Raster inadvertently scares people more than necessary. There’s nothing positive in telling someone that it’s possible to have Candida in the kidneys but you have no idea how to get rid of it, and it’s a waste of everyone’s time causing unnecessary worry to some of the members.

Most people do not have Candida in their kidneys, so don’t worry about things that you’re unsure of as far as whether or not it affects you. You have enough to concentrate on with what’s at hand, meaning the protocol and diet. Just keep forging ahead on the protocol and think about each moment and what you’re doing at that time. Don’t worry about the population of the Candida lessening, because even if you’re on the diet alone, they will slowly be reducing in size all the time. The main thing is to avoid feeding the Candida the foods that allow them to survive and multiply; that should be your only concern, and if you remain on the strict diet, you won’t even need to worry about that.

So relax, and think “wellness” …

Able

raster
    Participant

Lets hope that you don’t have it in your kidneys and I don’t know if you do or not. The candida lives in your mucousal membranes and this includes the private area as well. SF722 is great for attacking candida in the mucousal membranes.

-raster

kerra89

Thank you both. Truly, my level of anxiety about this whole process has been through the roof throughout treatment (and I’m sure it’s bolstered by die-off and hormonal whack too, to make matters worse) – but getting responses from you is really helping to reassure me that I’m on the right track.

In fact, Able, I hadn’t realized quite how much anxiety I’d hung on this thread until I got your response and promptly started to weep uncontrollably. lol. (embarrassing…)

I’ve known that sticking to the diet and protocol are the things I should be focusing on, but without a supportive doctor or guidance in my day to day life, I’m constantly having to trust my own instinct and the research I’ve done on this forum and elsewhere. For instance, yesterday I got blood test results back from my doctor, and apparently I’m “perfectly healthy” with no food allergies or vitamin deficiencies or anything. That’s so hard to hear because I KNOW I’m not fine, I feel it and see it every day, they just don’t know how to test me for the right things. But it’s enough to make me feel like I’m insane, or else a blundering idiot hypochondriac.

So to receive direct communication from you telling me to relax, it’s OK, and that I’m doing things right….

Really, thank you. I can’t express it enough. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Kerra

shayfo
    Replies: 668

Sorry Kerra, I’ve been a spaz about checking forum updates lately. If you have die-off, you have an overgrowth, imho.

It’s helpful to keep a log of how you’re feeling day to day, not only so that you can recognize patterns, but also so you can see the bigger differences that happen over the course of weeks and months, when you go back and read later. It’s easy to get bogged down in a “but I feel worse than yesterday!” mindset and feel like you’re failing.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Need guidance from experts. Able, raster, dvjorge?’ is closed to new replies.