My doctor doesn't believe in systemic candida, but I can't afford a naturopath…do I have candida?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions My doctor doesn't believe in systemic candida, but I can't afford a naturopath…do I have candida?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  orka1998 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

MegosLand
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 6

I’ve been on the forum for a week now, following the diet strictly for over 4 weeks and just don’t know if I’m doing the right thing.

I’ve had thrush 3 times as an adult and many times have been diagnosed with a vaginal yeast infection while going in for my annual (the doctor says, “You know you have a yeast infection, right?” And I had no idea. I thought discharge all the time was normal. Apparently I don’t have other symptoms.) Five weeks ago,after my most recent vaginal yeast infection suprise diagnosis and one treatment with diflucan that did NOT cure it, I got online and self-diagnosed myself with candida. I immediately went on the diet, started probiotics and slowly added in antifungals (oregano oil and capryillic acid), also taking vit. C, milk thistle and pineapple extract as well as my multi. I took my second diflucan pill after 5 days with no decrease in discharge. I went back to the doctor and she prescribed me 150mg diflucan every 7 days for 3 months. I’m still adhering to the diet 100% and am about to take my 2nd diflucan.

I self diagnosed candida not just because of the vaginal yeast infection. I’ve dealt with GI “stuff” for about 5 years, thinking it was always a food allergy or parasite (after doing a blood test through BioTek last August it was disovered I was allergic to all dairy, goat milk and eggs (both whites and yolks)). I did gluten free and didn’t relieve any GI symptoms either (neither did the anti-dairy/egg diet). My non-GI symptoms (which I mostly thought were “just the way I am”)include memory loss, brain fog, joint pain, sugar/alcohol cravings, irribility when hungry (and I’m talking BITE OFF SOMEONE’s who I love HEAD OFF!, athlete’s foot, mild depression, fatigue, canker sores,numbness in fingers and toes, rectal itching, low sex drive, allergies, sensitivities to smells, and who knows what else.

On day 5 of the diet (and having taken 1 diflucan) my athlete’s foot flared up, I got canker sores, dizziness, and crazy bloating and stomach pain. I figured this was die-off and took another diflucan (oops?)and continued torturing myself with the diet (I work in a fantastic restaurant!). By day 7 I was feeling great! Sleeping less, more energy, clarity in thought, positive attitude. My gut was feeling better, I lost about 7 pounds (I was probably no more than 9 pounds over weight) and those symptoms that got worse, lessened, if not went away.

Then my yeast infection came back with vengence about 14 days in. I started feeling much more tired, even with more sleep. My bloating returned. I’d been keeping a fairly detailed food journal at the point but started recording BMs, gas, bloating and other symptoms too. I think almonds are a problem for me (I eat too many, really!). My yeast infection hasn’t improved (which I guage by discharge, since I have no other symptoms).

My question is, after all that (sorry!), am I doing the right thing? Should I keep taking the diflucan, or is it damaging to my liver? Should I stick with the diet?

Thanks for reading and I am open to anything. ANYthing.
    Meg

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Well it sounds like you have fairly typical candida symptoms and that you have experienced die-off symptoms, so I feel that its a safe bet that you have it and/or parasites. The parasites thing I would worry about later because you can knock those puppies down somewhat easily after months on the diet.

Have you checked out the protocol on the forum yet?

Most of the forum users are doing a stricter form the website diet where we don’t eat nuts, seeds, rice, etc. If you want a copy of this foods list, I’d email able900 for a copy. From my experience, the stricter you go, the better you will heal.

Eventually work your way up to 25 drops of oregano oil per day and after 6-8 weeks, switch to another antifungal because candida can adapt to antifungals after 6-8 weeks. I highly recommend trying out SF722 undecenoic acid when you are ready for a good long-term antifungal that candida cannot adapt to easily.

I’d also rotate probiotics or try out other brands. What probiotics are you taking now and what is their billion count and strain count? Probiotics are the single most important thing you need for your recovery.

It also sounds like you have leaky gut based on your allergy history. This will need to be addressed seperately from your candida problem but will heal in time with the protocol and proper supplements.

Hope this helps! It can take as long as 6-18 months to fully recover from candida overgrowth so give it more time! It takes a long time to heal!

-raster

MegosLand

This helps a bunch, Raser, thanks!

I’m near the mark for a new anti-fungal (I’m assuming you mean herbal, not the diflucan, right?), so will switch it up in two weeks.

I have read the protocol on the website and follow it more closely than any of the others I’ve found. I’ve definitely cut out almonds this week (I haven’t been eating any of the others you mentioned) and see how that goes.

I just got a new probiotic last week (but it sat out over night…should I toss them?!). It’s Ultimate Flora adult formula, 15 billion, 10 probiotic strains, delayed release. I can’t remember my old one, but I took it to the store and made sure it had different cultures/strains. It’s both bifido and lacto cultures. Is this good?

I’m not worried about the parasites (if I have any), thanks for the reassurance! My doctor said it didn’t sound like them, instead like food allergies. That’s when I did the blood test. I’m going to repeat this test in August to see if I get the same results.

Thanks again!

MegosLand

oops, Raster! Sorry, typo 🙂

MegosLand

Oh, and I just read the Protocol on the forum and I too didn’t do the cleanse as I work in a fast paced restaurant and physically couldn’t do even the easy cleanse. I will start the molybdenum tomorrow.

Thanks again for this ridiculously amazing resource!!!!!!!!!

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

You don’t have to do the forum cleanse if you don’t want to, its completely optional. We do have a good plan put together on the forum that gives a good strict outline to follow. We have a stricter foods list on the forum than the website too which will help you recover faster. Email able900 if you are interested.

-raster

MegosLand

I emailed Abel900 and he sent me the protocol list (really quickly!)! Since I’ve been following the less strict diet from the webpage, would it be worth it to backtrack and start over???? I am going crazy with the diet as it is. As you’ve said, the stricter I am, the more quickly I will heal, right? (I think I am just looking for a little encouragement 😉 Thanks!

orka1998
    Participant
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 673

MegosLand wrote: I emailed Abel900 and he sent me the protocol list (really quickly!)! Since I’ve been following the less strict diet from the webpage, would it be worth it to backtrack and start over???? I am going crazy with the diet as it is. As you’ve said, the stricter I am, the more quickly I will heal, right? (I think I am just looking for a little encouragement 😉 Thanks!

Hi Meg,

You don’t have to start over, just modify your diet to match the stricter one if you wish. I started on the web site’s diet and switched to this one. Just cut out additional items which are not on the second list.

Your symptoms will come and go until your treatment stabilizes. This is from my own experience. It took three months (two on the strict diet) to stabilize. I still have my “not so well” days but never as bad as before and mostly I am slowly progressing towards better days.

Best of luck to you!

Arijana

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘My doctor doesn't believe in systemic candida, but I can't afford a naturopath…do I have candida?’ is closed to new replies.