Me venting a little

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Me venting a little

This topic contains 16 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  orka1998 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

orka1998
    Participant
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 673

I guess I feel the need to vent here as you guys understand what this means. Other people I talked to just shrug and look at me with that “what’s a big deal?” look.

My girl (almost 4 years old) must take antibiotics!!! We put up a good fight for a weak but in the end a nasty cold got on her lungs and turned into bronchitis, actually an early stage of pneumonia. Her pediatrician is great and never gives out antibiotics and even now she was seeing her every day and listening her lungs and kept saying let’s wait another day. Today you could hear it in her lungs and she said we cannot go any further, this will not clear without antibiotics.

I am not happy about her taking antibiotics but I do trust her doctor and if she prescribed them then she must take them. Luckily I know what I know about antibiotics so I ran and purchased best probiotics I could find (not as great as in US, but…) and I also got prebiotic syrup they had as well. I purchased several probiotic drinks and plan on continuing home made kefir for both girls. All of us got that nasty cold and fought it for two weeks already, one of my girls and I pulled out with only runny nose and some cough, not bad at all even though it was present for almost two weeks. But this little one has always been weaker and this is second time I lost the antibiotic battle with her. My other daughter never taken antibiotics in her almost 4 years. To me that’s normal but I was told several times that most kids take several rounds by that age!!! The world we live in!

Now I have two questions for anyone who will care to answer:
    1. I have Mega Flora probiotic I take that has 14 strains, DDS1 included and 20 billion. Can I give this to the kid? What’s my risk of giving her this probiotic? The one they sell her for kids is not that great. It has only 5 strains, although it has 20 billion per dose. It’s in liquid form and not refrigerated so I am a bit suspicious, although none of the probiotics here are kept refrigerated, this is why I had Mega Flora brought to me from US.
    2. Anything else anyone can remember I can do to protect my girl while and after taking antibiotics?

They do eat pretty healthy for their age, I am even criticized for torturing my kids with healthy diet! They eat lots of fruits and vegetables, some sweets, but most days I keep them fed well so they don’t remember sweets and if they don’t ask, I don’t offer. They do also eat a lot of what I eat, but they do drink milk and eat grains which I don’t.

For anyone that is reading this, thanks for “listening” for my rant. I just needed to “tell” someone who understands what I am talking about. Now, I feel a little better 🙂

Arijana

Danny33
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 362

Orka,

Anti-biotics have their purpose. Usually when we over do them is when trouble occurs.
    I took anti-biotics a few times as a kid with no issues. It wasn’t until I took 4 different kinds everyday for a few months did I get Candida.

How long is she going to be on the anti-biotics?
    Keep pushing her to eat yogurt & kefir and that should be enough.
    I would check with your doc about the pro-biotic capsules for kids.

It’s also most important to keep her eating the yogurt and kefir for weeks AFTER the coarse of drugs.

Gook luck and hope everybody feels better.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Hello, Arijana. I’m sorry to hear about the problems with your girls as well as yourself. To answer your question about the probiotics, please let me know how old your daughter is and how much does she weigh?

Thanks, Able

benc
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 419

I’ve had the same worry with mine (she is 3). She’s had a few courses now for her lungs. We did the same, we held out, explained to the GPs we were not fans of antibiotics, but caved in when she regressed.

The things we did were.

-bought children probiotics & get her to take them in between doses of antibiotics. Carried it on after the course ended
    -only let her have sugar from organic milk & yogurt (which she had everyday), & organic berries.

I would be really interested in suggestion of others.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

My thoughts on this stuff is that naturopath’s can prescribe stuff that is more effective than the antibiotics for getting over cold’s and sicknesses. I had the flu and beat it in 5 days by having some great supplements from my naturopath. They can treat children as well. This may not be practical for everyone but its my viewpoint that if you spend a little more money, it’ll be more effective and “healthy”.

-raster

orka1998
    Participant

Thanks guys!

@Danny33: Thank you very much for your advice. And I do realize we do need antibiotics for some cases, they just scare me so bad because of where I am today and where I am for some 20 years or more. I had candida when I carried my girls and I worry all the time that I passed it onto them, which is very possible. And yes, I so plan to give her different kinds of probiotic for a long time. Both girls were on a cup of home made kefir per day for long time, probably 8 months, then in December we had guests, a full house of very disorganized people and totally messed up my daily schedule which affected kefir making. Making it was pointless as by the time I got to it, it tasted awful and needed tons of bananas, honey etc so at least kids would drink it and then because it’s a full house of people much more interesting than me saying “drink your kefir” I just couldn’t get their attention. Finally after few days I gave up and saved the grains in little milk in the fridge. Well, I was supposed to change milk every 4-5 days and before I knew it two weeks passed. Those are gone forever. Luckily I had some frozen, exactly for situations like these but kept forgetting to pull them out of the freezer. Finally I did, so we will have kefir again probably tomorrow, but we are off it for close to 4 weeks. Probably this is why this cold got us. Guests brought some nasty viruses from Germany, we fought those pretty well, but in few weeks something else got us, I guess immune system got tired of fighting 🙂

@Able: Dear Sean, you are always here offering support! She is going to be 4 on April 14th and weighs around 15 kilos. I am hoping since the billion count in Mega Flora is the same as the one I am supposed to give her, perhaps I could dissolve a capsule in little milk and have her drink it. Unfortunately the bottle does not mention anything about children. Mega Flora was brought to me via plane from US and since it’s cold out it was properly kept the whole time, I know it’s still good and better than what I can get for her here! As always, I am so grateful for your advice!

@benc: Thank you for sharing what you did with your girl. I wondered about sugar intake. They don’t eat much sugar, some days nothing besides fruit. I now am rethinking juicing, those do contain tons of vitamins, but also sugar. They drink only water, herbal or berry tea (cranberry/blueberry) with lemon and honey or 100% juices I make and these juices or teas help detox and so far helped us cut colds before they get out of the hand. We had some stuffy noses, day at a time of fever and that’s it. I guess without kefir these are not helping that much. I probably should reduce these juices while on antibiotics. Also, when kefir is too sour, I mask the taste by making smoothie out of it adding it in blender with banana, berries, sometimes orange and other times lemon, no sugar when I use orange and strawberries, I put some honey when using blueberries and lemon. As I don’t have kefir, tonight I put some cereal in probiotic yoghurt, that does have sugar in it, but benefits are perhaps greater than damage as they need probiotic.

@raster: There aren’t many naturopathic doctors here yet and I am on a quest of finding one that I trust and knows what he or she is doing. I am not there yet. I don’t mind spending the money for their health, I did that many times. Normally what I have goes to them first and I use if there is anything left, which is a rare occurrence 🙂

Thanks guys once more for your support and advice!

Arijana

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

orka1998;33092 wrote: She is going to be 4 on April 14th and weighs around 15 kilos.

Arijana; looking at the ratio between the intake of CFU’s and the weight of an average adult, your daughter could easily take up to 40 billion CFU’s safely. Actually, if I had a child in this position, I would probably give her 50 billion; starting low and working up to the highest number, of course. This would hopefully overcome the negative activity of the antibiotic.

My best wishes for you and your family.
    Sean

hope4eva77
    Replies: 548

i would give her the probiotics and continue wks after treatment i give my baby a baby powered version of it and she is 18 months .i dont think u can give her to much healthy bacteria .thats great they drink kefir !

thank god my baby has not had to go on antibiotics i understand your concern ,another thing is u shuold never vaccinate them as this will only lower their immune system and make them sick along with all the disgusting chemicals as well .i will never vaccinate my child !if u continue to give them kefir ,continue the probiotics at least for a few wks after the infection but forever is good as well and dont vaccinate u will be most certainly doing all u can to keep them healthy !

anidstylie
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 12

kefirlady.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lZ13GYfaZc
    I cured mine and I had it bad anitbiotics are shit. Garlic is a proven effective killer of gram negative bacterias and it does not hurt the postive. Meaning bad guys that make you sick go by by good guys thrive..Nature has already taken the time to give us all we need afterall nature is taken over your gut with the live yeast we consume!! It don’t die it mulptiplys like bebes kids. Get some grains its ALIVE powerful probiotics that do not hurt your kidney or liver ..Its ha;f the cost as well and been around since ancient tibet.

moochpb
    Topics: 112
    Replies: 688

Have you tried a naturalpath? Antibiotics of course how everyone almost got this terrible yeast and bacteria. But I agree sometimes antibiotics are a must, but I still believe in naturalpaths

orka1998
    Participant

@able900:Thank you Sean! I will probably use up what I purchased and after few days just add Mega Flora as a second dose. After I use up the local probiotics, I will try to give her two Mega Flora capsules per day. I just have to figure out what to use to give her probiotics, she cannot swallow capsule so I must dissolve it in something and give her that way, perhaps cooled down tea or something.

@hope4eva77: Yes, it’s bad that she had one round and this is second, but I think that kefir and healthier diet makes them pretty healthy. This is the first time we got hit with something like this. This year it’s just too warm so viruses thrive and there is an epidemic of flu and nasty colds, people end up in hospitals massively. I messed up that I stopped kefir, but with having full house and chaotic environment, I barely kept my head up and figured that couple of weeks break will not do that much harm. I was wrong! If we were on kefir, none of us would have it this bad. We would just get some sniffles like before. And I am happy that they drink kefir. They would have it straight all summer because it tasted more like yoghurt (it changes the taste slightly depending on seasons), but since winter came, the taste is less like yoghurt and more like soda and this is what buggs them as they never drank soda (nor I plan for them to drink it). I, on the other hand, love that fizz. When it’s to strong I would just mix it with fruit and they would still drink it as a smoothie. They are eating a lot of healthy food because they like to pick off my plate. Few times they do that I can serve them same food. For example, how many 3 year olds do you know that eat mixed salad made out of lettuce, peppers, onions or leeks, spinach, tomato, radishes, cucumber, red cabbage, arugula, with or without tuna, dressing out of EVOO, sea salt, garlic, dill and ACV. I serve them this colorful salad with home made bone broth soup and they are happy kids. Like last night I wanted them to have probiotic yoghurt, and put some kids cereal in there so they would eat it and it would fill them up, after they were done with this and drank the home made juice, they moved onto my salad which was made up of lambs lettuce, red cabbage, tomato, red pepper, radishes, cucumber, celery stalks and onions. As it was a big bowl I made, they kept zooming back and getting more onto their plate. Any mothers dream, her kids eating and loving raw salad 🙂

@anidstylie: Thanks for the link. Yes, I read a lot great things about benefits of kefir. I drank it years ago, but then kids came and I was to busy to get to it… until I got sick and started this treatment. I had candida overgrowth most of my life (or so I believe) and drinking kefir with healthy diet is what kept it at bay for years. I remember being healthy and full of energy etc. and I didn’t know I had candida back then. To make it’s effects stronger, I toss some of the extra grains into kefir so we consume it while drinking it. I figured if any of it ends up in intestines, it will produce some more healthy bacteria there (if it survives the stomach acid, not sure, but some claim it does).

@moochpb: Thank you for your advice, but unfortunately I live in part of the world where it’s tough finding a good naturopath. Some claim they are, but a lot of them are quacks just looking to earn money. I am in the process of finding one for myself and if they prove to be good they will get to treat my kids as well. I don’t have anyone I can trust right now and pneumonia is not something to play with on a kid that age.

Arijana

hope4eva77
    Replies: 548

put the probiotics in milk or water ,i give to mine in reg milk ,and i buy the kind without hormones or antibiotics but i dont think its organic .

moochpb
    Topics: 112
    Replies: 688

I agree with findin the right naturalpath. But I like their approach and that’s how im finally getting help. But I had one quack so far. Pneumonia is for sure nothing to play around with with anyone especially kids. Antibiotics are a must but if you keep the probiotics I don’t see anything getting out of control. Good luck

orka1998
    Participant

Thanks hope4eva77, I will try that.

Thank you moochpb, I will get her to 40 billion plus as much as possible prebiotics plus putting a ban on sugar for a while. I hope I got it well covered with that.

Emsmith
    Participant
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 137

i’ve read reviews on iherb.com for the wild oregano oil p73, some will put a few drops on the stove and inhale for respiratory issues, also can rub on the bottoms of their feet for coughing, and i would think a drop in a capsule would help too

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Me venting a little’ is closed to new replies.