Maple Syrup

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Maple Syrup

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  jureca 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

sportston
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 1

What is the recommendation with regard to Maple Syrup? Does anyone know?
    I’ve been looking through the foods to avoid and foods that are ok lists and can’t seem to see it mentioned in either. Infact I can’t see any type of sweetener mentioned in foods that are ok. There must be some sweet tasting stuff that is ok surely? I can just about learn to live without chocolate, coca-cola and even tea and coffee, but I’m not sure I could live without cakes or sweetness of any kind whatsoever. I’ve always prided myself in the ability to cook, despite having the handicap of being a guy, but there must be some dessert that I can have. Please somebody help before I completely lose the will to live anymore!
    Ta
    Tom

mattyoung83
    Replies: 2

From all the research I’ve done, the only fool proof sweetener out there is stevia. All other artificial sweeteners including some stevia product has fillers in them that feed the candida. I got pure stevia extract by Kal. It’s actually pretty good!! I got mine from Henery’s, but you should be able to get it at any good health foods store… Hope this helpls!! =)

sportston
    Replies: 1

Smashing. Thats useful to know.
    Many thanks
    Tom

jureca
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 11

My naturopathic MD/dermatologist has pure maple syrup on his Candida diet sheet as an allowed sweetener, along with Stevia. All other sugars including honey, white and brown sugar are not allowed.

Can’t tell you why he has maple syrup listed as OK. However, I am glad for it — although still I don’t go overboard with it. I can ask him why if anyone is still interested in this.

jureca

Latka
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 128

jureca: I’d be interested in knowing what is your naturopath’s reason for allowing maple syrup? How is it better than say honey? So if you do ask, I’d like to know.

Tom: I used stevia in the beginning but have now pretty much stopped using any sweeteners (stevia kind of has a strong, bit weird taste). I notice that now that I no longer use sweeteners my need for sweetness has changed and I don’t seem to need it so much.

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

Maybe he recommends maple syrup because it’s much lower in free fructose than honey? It’s still mostly sucrose though. If his idea is that glucose will be easily digested, and thus “out of reach” of candida in the bowel, rice syrup would make more sense because it’s pure glucose (essentially predigested rice).

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Sorry but maple syrup, sugar, high fructose corn syrup, honey, agava nectar, coconut sugar, etc. are not allowed on the diet. Basically all forms of sugar will feed the beast and if you want to get better, then don’t eat it. This is why fruit isn’t on the diet. I talked to my wife last night and she justified why she eats coconut sugar and I basically told her its just like regular sugar.

In time, as you heal, you can start to tolerate sugar but only when you cheat for special occasions. Anything is better than white sugar which is not healthy whatsoever. Stevia, when cooked makes a great replacement. Some people like xylitol but am unsure whether sugar alcohols are good or bad for the diet.

Also most people are allergic to sugar when they have candida, you haven’t noticed any allergies from it?

-raster

jureca
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 11

I’ll ask my naturopathic MD/derm what is his rationale for including maple syrup. Asking is the easy part! Remembering the details re chemistry and physiology etc will be the hard part! 🙂

I’ve not noticed any allergic reaction to sugar but I rarely eat sweet things — just don’t have a sweet tooth at all. Now red wine is another story…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Maple Syrup’ is closed to new replies.