Lufenuron – powerful and safe antifungal?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Lufenuron – powerful and safe antifungal?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  jameskep 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Chlofloso
    Topics: 28
    Replies: 104

I’ve come across a new antifungal called Lufenuron. It is promoted as very effective and safe. It prevents Chitin formation, an important component of the cell walls of the fungus. Since humans do not have Chitin in their body, it may make sense that it doesn’t harm them. However, it has so far only been used for monkeys and other animals. You can read more about it here . I’ll include a quote from this site below my post. I will do a pubmed search about it on another day to see what science says about it, now I’m too tired.
    Does anyone know more about Lufenuron / has anyone ever tried it? I’m curious to hear your opinions.

Thanks,
    Chloe

————————-
    Lufenuron fights Candida similar to the body

“Human cells have a way of fighting Candida: They produce the enzym Chitinase, which – like Lufenuron- causes holes in the fungal cell wall, by dissolving Chitin. Lufenuron prevents Chitin formation. So your own body attacks Candida by interering with fungal Chitin. Lufenuron does that too. An Israeli study confirmed this: [Ben-Ziony Y, Arzi B. Use of Lufenuron for treating fungal infections of dogs and cats: 297 cases (1997-1999) JAVMA 217(10) (Nov 15) 2000]. The Israeli clinic systematically tested lufenuron in ringworm-infected cats and dogs. Over the 2-year period, they treated 201 cats and followed 23 on a daily basis. Most cats treated with Lufenuron doses ranging from 51.2 to 266 mg/kg (23.1 to 120.9 mg/lb) cultured negative for ringworm in 8.3 days and began growing hair in 12 days. Four cats either cultured positive for ringworm or developed lesions again but responded well after a second treatment.
    (…)
    Candida is so hard to kill because roughly half of its cell wall is made of the extremely hard Chitin. The other half is Ergosterol. Chitin is the same material as the exo-skeleton of insects like fleas and intestinal parasites. It’s hard to crush a flea because its Chitin armor is so strong. We have no use for Chitin in our bodies. But a fungus deprived of Chitin dies because the Chitin literally prevents it from “bleeding out” through holes in the cell wall.
    (…)
    He wanted to be sure of Lufenuron’s safety so he called Novartis in Switzerland and got confirmed that Lufenuron has no known side effects and is totally safe for mammals, and that it indeed eradicates Candida. When he asked why Novartis wouldn’t do human trials with Lufenuron, the Swiss Veterinarian and fellow Chemistry Ph.D. replied that it was originally intended as a veterinary flea remedy and that they only recently started to receive anecdotal reports on its effect on yeasts and fungi in animals. He acknowledged that this was no more than logical, considering the Chitin-chemistry of the fungal cell wall but he said there were many factors involved in such strategic corporate decisions and that he did not know whether Novartis was interested in getting it approved for use in humans. Novartis perhaps does not want to “compete with themselves” – they already sell other antifungals. When John continued to inquire about possible long term-side effects, this man confided that he privately recommends Lufenuron to Candida-sufferers in his own family. We were amazed he was so upfront, because I am sure Novartis’ official position is “no comment” on this. This is what happens when one manages to get throught to a lab person instead of a “suit”.”

jameskep
    Participant
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 220

Type in Lufenuron in the search engine. I did a post on it.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Lufenuron – powerful and safe antifungal?’ is closed to new replies.