Low Ferritin and Candida

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Low Ferritin and Candida

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  shell1226 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

phuzz2013
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 2

I was just looking into candida and low ferritin levels and came across this article. I had no idea that iron deficiency was so connected to candidiasis. Even low ferritin levels which are sometimes overlooked if iron levels in the blood are fine. I have had a low ferritin level of 17 and chronic candidiasis.

http://orthomolecular.org/library/jom/1985/pdf/1985-v14n01-p050.pdf

Some of these are listed in Table 4. The commonest deficits were low stores of iron, as
    measured by serum ferritin levels; depressed serum folate, as measured by the Vitamin
    Assay Center of the New Jersey College of Medicine and Dentistry; and low levels of
    vitamin A. Since iron deficiency is known to predispose to Candida infection,
    35 low ferritin levels in a patient with candidiasis should be
    taken seriously.
    As folate deficiency can impair immune function, low serum folate may
    contribute to infection in some patients. The low vitamin A levels are particularly
    interesting. None of the vitamin A deficient patients had low serum carotene. In four
    patients the carotene level was actually high. Montes and his colleagues,
    36 in 1972, described vitamin A deficiency and normal carotene in 13
    patients with chronic mucocutaneous candidiasis. Since dietary carotene is the major
    source of vitamin A, it seems that vitamin A deficiency in Candida patients is not secondary
    to poor diet or 53 malabsorption but to impaired oxidation of carotene to retinol. Beta-carotene oxygenase is primarily found in intestinal mucosa and its activity may be impaired in diseases which involve the intestinal mucosa. Vitamin A deficiency in patients with candidiasis is most likely a manifestation of intestinal candidiasis.Because vitamin A is necessary for the function of cytotoxic T cells and for theintegrity of mucous membranes, vitamin A deficiency will aggravate yeast infection. In correcting this deficiency the possible deficit in carotene oxygenase activity should be kept in mind. Carotene may be of little biological value as a retinol precursor in these patients.
    Zinc deficiency can depress serum retinol despite normal stores of vitamin A in liver.
    While there is no relationship between zinc and vitamin A deficiency in the patients in this
    study, we have found it useful to pay close attention to zinc nutriture in patients with
    refractory vitamin A deficiency.

kodaz2005
    Topics: 37
    Replies: 172

phuzz2013;39368 wrote: I was just looking into candida and low ferritin levels and came across this article. I had no idea that iron deficiency was so connected to candidiasis. Even low ferritin levels which are sometimes overlooked if iron levels in the blood are fine. I have had a low ferritin level of 17 and chronic candidiasis.

Some of these are listed in Table 4. The commonest deficits were low stores of iron, as
    measured by serum ferritin levels; depressed serum folate, as measured by the Vitamin
    Assay Center of the New Jersey College of Medicine and Dentistry; and low levels of
    taken seriously.
    contribute to infection in some patients. The low vitamin A levels are particularly
    interesting. None of the vitamin A deficient patients had low serum carotene. In four
    patients with chronic mucocutaneous candidiasis. Since dietary carotene is the major
    source of vitamin A, it seems that vitamin A deficiency in Candida patients is not secondary
    to poor diet or 53 malabsorption but to impaired oxidation of carotene to retinol. Beta-carotene oxygenase is primarily found in intestinal mucosa and its activity may be impaired in diseases which involve the intestinal mucosa. Vitamin A deficiency in patients with candidiasis is most likely a manifestation of intestinal candidiasis.Because vitamin A is necessary for the function of cytotoxic T cells and for theintegrity of mucous membranes, vitamin A deficiency will aggravate yeast infection. In correcting this deficiency the possible deficit in carotene oxygenase activity should be kept in mind. Carotene may be of little biological value as a retinol precursor in these patients.
    Zinc deficiency can depress serum retinol despite normal stores of vitamin A in liver.
    While there is no relationship between zinc and vitamin A deficiency in the patients in this
    study, we have found it useful to pay close attention to zinc nutriture in patients with

People that have the Candida problem commonly have adrenal and thyroid issues. There are a number of different enzymes and vitamins levels that are skewed in people with thyroid & adrenals issues such as: low Vit C, E, Iron low white & red blood cell count, just to name a few.

Fix the balance of yeast in your body, heal your gut and your ferritin levels should normalize.

alexalgebra
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 643

Ironically, the first naturopath I went to, who was SO insistent that she was right about everything, had me tested for a ton of shit when I went in (about three years ago now)…I came back with low ferritin and low white blood cells and she couldn’t explain it. She got me off gluten and refined sugar, which was great for awhile, but obviously not the full answer. I tested the same with two other doctors (naturopaths), and still, nobody mentioned candida. ARGH!

mrs.candida
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 452

I have low ferritin too, in fact it’s the only thing that’s ever really come up as out of place in my blood tests. Now, if more doctors knew this, lots of us could have started healing years ago.

phuzz2013

kodaz2005;39377 wrote:

I was just looking into candida and low ferritin levels and came across this article. I had no idea that iron deficiency was so connected to candidiasis. Even low ferritin levels which are sometimes overlooked if iron levels in the blood are fine. I have had a low ferritin level of 17 and chronic candidiasis.

taken seriously.

People that have the Candida problem commonly have adrenal and thyroid issues. There are a number of different enzymes and vitamins levels that are skewed in people with thyroid & adrenals issues such as: low Vit C, E, Iron low white & red blood cell count, just to name a few.

Fix the balance of yeast in your body, heal your gut and your ferritin levels should normalize.

I think a lot of issues will resolve themselves once the candida has cleared up, but if low ferritin is having such a significant impact on the immune system, it’s going to be a lot more difficult. Ferritin apparently helps with the conversion of thyroid hormones.

See this site:-

http://www.adrenalsweb.org/iron-and-ferritin.php

I’ve only been taking iron supplements (spatone 4 sachets a day) for a week and finding some of my candida symptoms are clearing up. The other normal prescribed supps I’ve found are very harsh on my gut. I’ve read Ferritin levels need to be above 100.

kjones02
    Participant
    Topics: 79
    Replies: 315

Yes, I have low ferritin levels, too. I hate taking iron supplements. Have you read up about lactoferrin; this might be a good option for you?

phuzz2013

kjones02;39391 wrote: Yes, I have low ferritin levels, too. I hate taking iron supplements. Have you read up about lactoferrin; this might be a good option for you?

Thanks for your reply. I’ve heard of Lactoferrin several times, but not tried it. Is it very effective?

kjones02
    Participant
    Topics: 79
    Replies: 315

Thanks for your reply. I’ve heard of Lactoferrin several times, but not tried it. Is it very effective?

I can’t say anything yet, since I have not taken it that long. I’ll have to report back after a little while longer.

shell1226
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 71

I have a history of low ferritin and have gone for iron infusions in the past. I just did some bloodwork to test my ferritin again since the last blood test it came back at 10. I have a feeling I am going to have to go for infusions again.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Low Ferritin and Candida’ is closed to new replies.