Looks like I have Candida Overgrowth

Home The Candida Forum Your Stories & Journals Looks like I have Candida Overgrowth

This topic contains 46 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Hatetheovergrowth 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • Author

Ben
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 21

In late November 2015 I was on a course of antibiotics for an eye infection, it resulted in severe stomach pain and so I stopped the antibiotics, but for a few days afterwards I felt really tired, like I had a virus or something. Eventually it passed, and the Christmas party season was in full swing, so I drank far too much beer, and again I started feeling very tired. Then after eating a chocolate muffin I felt a ‘crash’, I was shaking and dizzy. Then again shortly after eating a sweet biscuit, and also after eating a bowl of pasta, I would have to lie down. I was also getting blurred vision and brain fog.

I thought I had diabetes or hypoglycemia, so I went to the Dr, but the tests all came back fine. Then when googling my symptoms I came across Candida overgrowth, I suggested this to a couple of doctors, but they weren’t interested. So I tried a naturopath who agreed it was likely candida overgrowth and perhaps also adrenal gland fatigue.

Looking back now there were early signs. 10 years ago I experienced severe heart palpitations, the doctors tested everything, but no problems were found. They eventually subsided, but I still get minor events. I also began developing eczema shortly after this. I also have Seborrheic Dermatitis (yeast infection of the skin on the face) and suffer migraines.

More recently I was getting recurring sore throats, short dizzy spells, muscle fatigue, insomnia (I would wake at 3am on the dot every night) and anxiety attacks for no reason. The biggest indicator were my sugar cravings, for about 6 months leading up to the worst symptoms I kept going for chocolate biscuits, and wanting more and more. I mentioned to my wife how I just kept craving sugar and how it was unusual. Now it all adds up.

So I started on the candidia diet provided by the naturopath 2 days before christmas, I’ve tried hard not to stray, but I do have some bacon once in a while and cashews now and then. I’m also on the following antifungals and adrenal tablets:

Pathoclear
    Bacto-Cand GI
    Adrenoplex

Then probiotics before bed. I had strong die off symptoms about 2 weeks after starting the diet and tablets, I found lots of water and vitamin C helped a lot. I’m now into my 4th week and struggling with the diet and still feeling tired, shaky and dizzy. I’m hoping that I will eventually get to the other side and feel better, but it is hard going right now. Reading others’ stories is helping.

I am 40 years old, and live in Brisbane, Australia

chrisluketaylor
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 23

I have had similar experiences with doctors, I got diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome by them. Even though I knew there was an underlying cause for it they just wouldn’t listen.

If your adrenals are fatigued, stinging nettle tea is great – or if you need something stronger: stinging nettle seeds.

My antifungals are all natural:

Grapefruit seed extract
    Garlic
    Organo Oil
    Ginger

I also take glutamine to help heal my bowels, multivitamin, cod liver oil, and 11 strain or 7 strain probiotics, twice a day.

Ben
    Participant

Yeah, these are natural based.

I’m starting to doubt my problem is Candida. I haven’t had any die off symptoms for a while, but I’m starting to feel worse. Shaky, dizzy, blurred vision, unable to think clearly. I felt like I did when I began the cleanse….

I’m wondering if it is actually hypothyroid. My muscles feel like they have no energy at all, and I feel like sleeping all of the time. I had a blood test that showed normal TSH levels, but maybe it is worth digging a bit further on that and check T3, T4 and antibodies…..

chrisluketaylor
    Participant

Look up acetaldehyde, it is one of the identifiable toxins candida breakdown produces and can affect the eyes, brain and nervous system.

Your best bet is just to keep on a healthy diet until you know for sure it is candida, even if it is something worse (I hope not) you are still going to be making the right choices to help your body to fend off any illness.

Also I wouldn’t look too deeply into trying to match your symptoms with other people suffering from CRC, everyone is different and there are different strains of candida species. If I were you I would try adding more healthy fats into your diet in order for your body to get the energy it needs, olive oil and coconut oil are my favourites (I can eat virgin-coconut oil as a snack out the jar when I need a snack, I love it). At the end of the day, listen to what your body is telling you.

I have been on my ‘optimimum’ diet for 5 weeks now and my energy levels are still not normalised yet (but I am in the gym 3 times a week and playing basketball 2 times a week now). I get dizzy when I stress myself out (mainly about my health, it’s a vicious circle).

I will be reintroducing low GI, Low GL carbs in about 2 months I reckon. Until then I will be sticking to animal fats and plant fats as my main source of energy.

Ben
    Participant

I guess my main thought on candida now is that I’m not experiencing any die off symptoms anymore, so it must be reduced, or the antifungals just aren’t working? I don’t know.

I tried some wholemeal pita bread yesterday, big mistake, I crashed for an hour, so looks like I’m stuck on the diet in any case. But I’m still thinking it may be something else. Adrenal fatigue is looking to be a close fit too. I’ve had a heap of stress at work a few months back, lots of urgent late night work, and then again just before this whole thing began I had another emergency late night call that went for 12 hours.

Then last week I had domestic arguments just before this latest backward step. And while my sleep patterns were going really well a couple weeks ago, now I’m waking up after 2 hours and can’t get back to sleep.

On coconut in the diet, I’ve been cooking coconut flour cinnamon cookies and coconut bread for snacks, they have been a life saver. I’ll try to post the recipes…..

Ben
    Participant

Ok, another update. I started researching what might be causing my problems again, and looked at thyroid and adrenals. Even tried to get the doctor to do some tests, but they don’t seem to get it, so gave up on that. I decided that with my sleep and energy issues it must be adrenal fatigue. I found some articles that talked about taking vitamin B, C, magnesium and fish oil, along with the Licorice root, ginseng and withania herbs.

When I first went to the naturopath with my candida problems, she suggested I probably also have adrenal fatigue. But I was so focused on the candida that I was ignoring the adrenal fatigue issue other than the herbs she gave me. I was really missing the vitamin B, C and magnesium. So I have started the following intake of herbs and vitamins and what a difference it has made. My sleep is still a bit off, but improving, but my energy levels have gone from 1/10 to 5/10 after 3 days:
    With Breakfast
    1x Pathoclear
    2x Fish oil
    7.5ml/5ml liquid Licorice/Siberian Ginseng/Withania

After Breakfast
    1x Magnesium
    1x VitaminC + Garlic + Zinc
    1x Blackmores Executive B
    Metamucil

With Lunch
    1x Pathoclear
    2x Fish oil
    5ml liquid Licorice/Siberian Ginseng/Withania
    1x Magnesium
    1x Blackmores Executive B

Afternoon
    Metamucil

With Dinner
    1x Pathoclear
    2x Fish oil
    7.5ml/5ml Herbal Formula
    1x Magnesium

Bedtime
    Probiotic

I think the Vitamin C is a big one I’ve been missing, before I started getting the Candida effects I was drinking a lot of Cranberry juice with good doses of Vitamin C, but when I started reacting to the sugar I inadvertently cut out all sources of vitamin C.

I’m also working on reducing stress, deep breathing and relaxation massage to see if I can get my twitchy, jitteriness under control.

chrisluketaylor
    Participant

That’s good to hear, I think I also have a bit of adrenal fatigue (hence the stinging nettle tea I drink). So I’ll definitely look into licorice root, ginseng and withania herbs.

Thanks

Ben
    Participant

Yep, I think I’m definitely improving. I’ve actually been able to work and focus on tasks. I do start getting tired in mid afternoon, which is the expected cortisol cycle. Sleep is still up and down, but some nights are solid 10 hours.

My next step is to start introducing some carbs that are good for adrenals.

chrisluketaylor
    Participant

I have successfully gone back onto big loads of carbs thanks to quinoa. It is such a great food source. I would definitely recommend it as your first step towards eating grains.

I had a load this morning for breakfast on it’s own (must have been about 200g) after gradually working up the size of portions I have no ill effects.

My next thing to reintroduce is oats in 2 weeks time, hopefully. Although it is a glutenous grain, there have been studies that gluten intolerant individuals have been able to work upto reintroducing it back into their diet. And it is far easier to get hold of than quinoa and more versatile.

declanmartin1977
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 1

For longer than I care to remember, particularly during the winter I have been prone to feeling tired and constantly run down. About 18 months ago fungal started to appear on both my big toes. I tired a number of over the counter treatments for these conditions but to no avail. My GP couldn’t get to the bottom of them either. About 6 months I went to see a kinesiologist who diagnosed my condition as candida overgrowth. I commenced a 10 week diet of no diary, sugar or wheat based products, which was a real challenge. I managed to stick to this eating regime. My health improved. However, I’m not convinced I have removed the fungal growth as there’s been little improvement in the state of my toenails. I do eat much better now but don’t stick to the eating regime as much. I need some new ideas as I’m getting really frustrated with the whole thing. I forgot to mention that I’m a very stressful person, which doesn’t help. My sleep has also been badly affected. Help.

chrisluketaylor
    Participant

To heal your fungal nails, apple cider vinegar foot baths are your best bet with topical tee tree oil applied before you put socks on.

I had fungal nail far before I had any other symptoms, but unfortunately I ignored it – nearly lost 3 nails in the process – 1 still hasn’t grown back. I don’t use the method I suggested as it can be costly, what I do is I have a natural elements handwash that has tee-tree oil extract and pottasium sorbate in it which I use first to wash my feet and then apply to my nails generously before I put my socks on.

I got fungal nail on my big toe first that I had the misfortune of dropping a 20kg plate on 4 years ago – the damage combined with my poor foot-care and poor diet was the ‘perfect storm’ it seems. My ignorance was what allowed it to spread further, and ultimately to various parts of my body.

The funny thing now is I can actually see the line on my big toe nail whereby I optimised my diet and foot-care to eradicate candida (it goes from yellowish to clear pink instantaneously ). I just need another 3-5 months before it grows out completely. And then hopefully my little toe nail (which I lost) will emerge at some point in the future too.

The only problem being that the leaky-bowel, which I developed from my ignorance, is going to take a lot longer to heal.

On the bright side, the outlook I have on my diet (and the knowledge I have gained) will now continue with me for the rest of my life and will massively reduce my risk of cancer, diabetes and heart disease. So in a way my CRC was the wake-up call I needed, I just wish I had wised up to it sooner or was actually educated about these things when I was younger (but coaching to pass some exams is apparently more important).

Ben
    Participant

Ok, I’m back!

I had moved on to adrenal fatigue treatment, which helped a lot, but I started getting severe anxiety attacks over small issues, and also still had tremors and tingling in my arms and legs, particularly in the middle of the night. My energy levels had really improved up until a month ago, then I had a major energy crash and my anxiety issues disappeared at the same time. So there was definitely a connection between my physical symptoms and the mental ones. I went to see a new naturopath to make sure I was treating the adrenals properly, he tested me for pyroluria. It came back positive, there is a connection between stress, and the excessive production of pyrrol by the liver, which in turn interrupts digestion and can promote candida. Disruption of digestion can then cause your adrenals to become run down as you aren’t getting enough nutrients to fuel the body’s response to stress.

So I’m back on the candida diet, some anti-fungals (getting the die off feeling again) and also supplementing for pyroluria (vitamin B6 and zinc) along with VitC and Magnesium. It will take a few months but hopefully I’m on the right track.

I thought it was worth sharing the pyroluria link with candida and IBS in case others may also have this underlying issue.

Jaumeb
    Participant
    Replies: 148

I agree with Chris in that quinoa can be very helpful.

EasternRay
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 4

Hi Ben,

What have you used to treat the adrenal fatigue? What supplements, drugs and what diet?
    That would be interesting to know.

Cheers.

Ben
    Participant

Hi Ben,

What have you used to treat the adrenal fatigue? What supplements, drugs and what diet?
    That would be interesting to know.

Cheers.

Hi,

I was on vitamins, C, B complex, magnesium, and avoiding the hi GI stuff, grains and wholemeal bread seem ok. Also went on herb mixes, usually with Withania, Licorice root, Holy Basil and Siberian Ginseng.

I have now moved on to pyroluria treatment and feeling a lot better. Mentally the brain fog has gone, so has the anxiety and edginess/nervousness.

Energy levels are up, but if I push too hard I am having a minor crash one or two days a week. Still an improvement.

Pretty sure I still have candida issues, and apparently the zinc deficiency can lead to this. So aiming to get the zinc and copper levels back in balance, then tackle the candida, and build the adrenals back up.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Looks like I have Candida Overgrowth’ is closed to new replies.