Leaky Gut and Food Sensitivities

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Leaky Gut and Food Sensitivities

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  EthanT 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

EthanT
    Participant
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 17

Couple quick questions about those two, as it looks like I have a bit of both!

* Do food sensitivities go away once leaky gut is healed?

* Also, I’m guessing continuing to eat the foods that one is sensitive to would delay, or perhaps even halt, the healing process?

* Also, one thing that confused me is that it’s claimed Candida can cause leaky gut, but I thought leaky gut takes places in the small intestine, while Candida is usually in the colon?

Thanks!

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Leaky gut is typically caused by chronic inflammation.  The inflammation is caused by poor digestion, liver health, certain foods, etc.  Check out the blog cooling inflammation about how to address it, but there are many supplements that can help reduce it.  Once inflammation is reduced, food sensitivities should go away or reduce.  This is also tied to histamine levels which relates to allergic reactions, and reducing histamine levels should thus also reduce food sensitivities and is a byproduct of eating the foods, liver processes, etc.

Getting over food sensitivities takes a lot of time and is based both on candida levels and inflammation levels as well as other things such as liver health, histamine levels, sleep, etc.

Eating foods you are sensitive to doesn’t really delay the healing process that much from my experience but it does suppress progress some.  Certain things suppress it more than others, for instance if you react to dairy and eat dairy, its likely much worse than eating apricots and reacting to apricots…mainly because dairy and histamine levels have a strong relationship.  Apricots actually have antifungal and anti-candida properties whereas the dairy doesn’t necessarily have this.

Also, one problem some people face is that they overly restrict the foods they eat and get worried about all sorts of stuff like carbs, mold content, sugar content, quality of food, etc.  They then react to some of this stuff more as time goes on.  Its all about reduction and not elimination from my experience and making gradual changes.

One thing you can do as you get into the diet is learn about healthier replacements to the foods you miss.  For instance, rutabega is a good replacement for potatoes.  Buckwheat is a good rice replacement.  Chicken sausages is better than pork sausage, etc.  Gluten free breads are better than wheat breads.

-raster

EthanT
    Participant

Thanks Raster, this was super helpful and informative!  The Cooling Inflammation blog was also a great tip.  Tons of info up there, even if a bit technical at times.  Fermented Vegetables really sound like an important ingredient in the mix and seems to be recommended across the board.  We’ve been wondering what to replace potatoes with too, so thanks also for that tip!

raster
    Participant

If you get into fermented foods, only do them temporarily because it should also benefit the yeast as well.

In general it all comes down to management, its hard to completely reverse food sensitivities.  For instance, I can eat almost anything I want, but if I do a week long vacation somewhere and eat out a lot, its going to set me back and my inflammation will increase and histamine levels increase.

-raster

EthanT
    Participant

Thanks Raster, I hear ya there.  I am definitely getting the message that I am going to have to be more consistently healthy when it comes to diet for now on.  However, after going through this, it has really turned me off to some of my old habits, so it may not be hard to change for good.  (Although travel/vacation can be rough, so much crap out there when it comes to eating out!)

Oh, by the way, do you know why fermented foods can benefit the yeast?  I was just going to go for fermented vegetables, which I thought help crowd out the yeast and repopulate the gut?

Well, and I do have a GTs Kombucha now and then, which I know Donna Gates warns about because of “wild yeasts”, but it does have the S Boulardi which also sounds like it is good for fighting candida.

All very confusing stuff …

raster
    Participant

I don’t know why it benefits yeast but its very opportunistic and can basically live on anything, there is no way to completely kill it off and it is very adaptive.  For instance, if you ate all fermented foods, it’ll adapt to it within a few days most likely and they won’t really do much to the yeast.

Also read out about the fermented cabbage drink, it contains billions of yeast cfu per serving.  We have apost on it here:

http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forums/topic/study-finds-fermented-cabbage-juice-effective-against-candida-56/

-raster

EthanT
    Participant

Oh, I see what you mean now.  Yeah, they are versatile little buggers!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Leaky Gut and Food Sensitivities’ is closed to new replies.