Lactulose

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Lukey 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

jgentry8
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 13

I recently just spent 4 days in the hospital getting colonic washes with laxatives and mineral enemas. Due to an X RAY, it showed my intestines were completely obstructed and stretching due to severe constipation. I had recently started candida diet, and I have never had good bowel movements to begin with but constipation got severe, maybe because a couple days before starting antifungals I had a lot of sugar. Anyways, my doctor prescribed me lactulose to keep my bowels moving and the stool soft–the amount of medicine they had to use just to get me to get the stool out was incredible. My question is if lactulose is a safe bet with candida. I know it’s a man made sugar, but my GI Said no to worry about it affecting candida, it doesn’t get absorbed into your body it just goes straight through. I’m also prescribed erthrymycine to move food out of my stomach faster. After a gastric emptying scan, it showed food is moving too slowly out of my digestive tract. I freaked cuz I know this is an antibiotic, but he said he’s not prescribing it at antibiotic level. So are these two really okay? I don’t really see how I have any other choice since the bloating/constipation gets so severe.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

There are two types of medicine out there, western medicine which treats the symptoms, and eastern medicine which treats the cause of the symptoms. You can throw as much medication as you would like but I don’t think that is going to solve the problem.

My other recommendation is to chew your food more:
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst1222_Chew-your-food-longer–Simple-tip-to-improve-your-health.aspx

-raster

Danny33
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 362

jgentry8;56985 wrote: I recently just spent 4 days in the hospital getting colonic washes with laxatives and mineral enemas. Due to an X RAY, it showed my intestines were completely obstructed and stretching due to severe constipation. I had recently started candida diet, and I have never had good bowel movements to begin with but constipation got severe, maybe because a couple days before starting antifungals I had a lot of sugar. Anyways, my doctor prescribed me lactulose to keep my bowels moving and the stool soft–the amount of medicine they had to use just to get me to get the stool out was incredible. My question is if lactulose is a safe bet with candida. I know it’s a man made sugar, but my GI Said no to worry about it affecting candida, it doesn’t get absorbed into your body it just goes straight through. I’m also prescribed erthrymycine to move food out of my stomach faster. After a gastric emptying scan, it showed food is moving too slowly out of my digestive tract. I freaked cuz I know this is an antibiotic, but he said he’s not prescribing it at antibiotic level. So are these two really okay? I don’t really see how I have any other choice since the bloating/constipation gets so severe.

Jgentry,

I have written many times about chronic constipation.
    I am a long time sufferer and can save you some trouble.
    I have had multiple colonoscopies, colonics, seen dozens of MD’s and Gastrologists regarding constipation, tried every fiber you can name, tried dozens of pro-biotics, digestive enzymes, vegetarian, paleo, etc…….

Lactulose is a great prebiotic but will not fix your chronic constipation. However, I would try it out and note any benefits. I would avoid Erythromycin.

Chronic constipation is caused by dysbiosis.
    Healthy stool is nearly 50% bacteria. Diverse, persistent, and healthy flora is needed to produce healthy, hydrated bowel movements. With that being said, you must work on recovering your beneficials while addressing possible candida, possible immune suppressants, etc.

I think home enemas can be a “two birds with 1 stone” scenario with individuals that have constipation. They can keep you regular and also address Candida with retention enemas (e.g. Nystatin, S. Boulardii, pro-biotic, etc.). You also need to follow a candida/anti-inflammatory diet as best as you can. Fermented veggies like sauerkraut are fantastic for staying regular, look into making your own at home.

I can elaborate if needed, I know how miserable it can be!!!

-D

jgentry8

Unfortunately, I’m certain I have candida. I also have lymes, but the candida is wreaking havoc. I’m taking s722 formula with two probiotics. Constipation is terrible, I’m not going to the bathroom at all to the point my intestines were obstructed, so that’s why they gave me the medicine. Doctor said he prescribed the antibiotic not at an antibiotic level so it shouldn’t hurt me… It worries me. What did you do to alleviate your constipation? I’m also doing enemas, coffee.

Danny33
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 362

jgentry8;56996 wrote: Unfortunately, I’m certain I have candida. I also have lymes, but the candida is wreaking havoc. I’m taking s722 formula with two probiotics. Constipation is terrible, I’m not going to the bathroom at all to the point my intestines were obstructed, so that’s why they gave me the medicine. Doctor said he prescribed the antibiotic not at an antibiotic level so it shouldn’t hurt me… It worries me. What did you do to alleviate your constipation? I’m also doing enemas, coffee.

No worries, you are fixable I promise.

Before my first colonoscopy, I went 14 days without a single bowel movement.
    Some people may not even believe this but its absolutely true, I still have a picture of my X-rays at that time. On antibiotics long-term destroyed me.

I’m not a big fan of “natural anti-microbials”, especially if you are not getting better while on them. Most hinder growth of certain bacteria which are needed for healthy stools, proper immune function, etc.
    I’m not familiar enough with the anti-microbial properties of undecenoic acid so pay close attention to any benefits/detriments while on it.

Which pro-biotics are you currently taking?

This is a few recs:

-Follow a good candida/anti-inflammatory diet (e.g. low starch/sugar, omega 3’s, etc.)
    -Make homemade vegetable ferments (e.g. SauerKraut is amazing I promise)
    -Nystatin Retained enemas
    -Have you tried S. Boulardii?
    -reduce inflammation by Omega 3’s (e.g. fish oil, flax seed, grass fed butter)
    -Avoid being over-hygienic

The biggest help for me was indeed Nystatin retained enemas and vegetable ferments.
    S. Boulardii actually made me very regular. However, I had to stop because of my yeast sensitivities.
    This will take some time to repopulate your beneficials.

-D

dvjorge
    Participant
    Topics: 283
    Replies: 1368

A Human Volunteer Study to Determine the Prebiotic Effects of Lactulose Powder on Human Colonic Microbiota
    2002, Vol. 14, No. 3 , Pages 165-173 (doi:10.1080/089106002320644357)
    PDF (192 KB)
    PDF Plus (194 KB)
    Reprints
    Permissions
    Kieran M. Tuohy, Cherie J. Ziemer, Annett Klinder, Yvonne Knöbel, Beatrice L. Pool-Zobel and Glenn R. Gibson

The prebiotic effects of lactulose were monitored in a human feeding study. Prebiotics are dietary carbohydrates that have a selective microbial metabolism in the gut, directed towards bacteria seen as beneficial, examples being bifidobacteria and/or lactobacilli. The study was conducted in a double blind, placebo controlled manner. A dose of 10 g per day, half the pharmacological dose, was fed to 10 healthy adult volunteers. In parallel, 10 persons were fed a placebo (glucose/lactose). Both culture based methodologies and genetic probing, based around fluorescent in situ hybridization were used to determine bacterial populations. Faecal water genotoxicity was assessed using the Comet assay to investigate the ability of lactulose to protect against DNA damage. Bifidobacteria showed a statistically significant increase during lactulose intake, whilst genetic probing showed a concomitant decrease in clostridia. Viable plate counts of lactobacilli increased when lactulose was fed, but this was not replicated by the genetic probing. During the trial, none of the recruits experienced any significant adverse gastrointestinal symptoms. Single-cell gel electrophoresis, used to assess faecal water genotoxicity, did not reveal that lactulose intervention reduced genotoxicity. The prebiotic nature of 10 g/day lactulose towards the human gut microbiota has been clearly demonstrated in this study. Lactulose is shown to be an effective food-grade prebiotic for healthy adults particularly in sections of the community with low bifidobacterial populations. The value of the more direct, culture independent FISH technique in the microbial ecology of the gut has been demonstrated in this study.

Read More: http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.1080/089106002320644357

dvjorge
    Participant

See This :
    This study is really important since the amount of candida is reduced after increasing Bifidobacteria.

http://lactose.ru/present/3Stepan_Kiselev.pdf

Jorge

jgentry8

Thank you for your thoughts, as long as lactulose doesn’t hurt me then I’ll stay on it. As for probiotics, I take 2 perque digests guard 3 times a day and bacillus coagulans taken with s722 formula 3x a day with 5 capsules of the anti fungal. I just started today. I don’t even know if this stuff is working. Yesterday was my last day of sugar and my tongue was normal colored, now today it’s white after taking these medicines, my hair is a mess, and the rash on my arms is now on my chest. Not to mention I’m SUPER depressed… And constipated.. As usual. Any ideas what is going on? Help 🙁

dvjorge
    Participant

Lukey
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 67

Thank you DVJ.

I took 1 tsp of Lactulose tonight, in water. I guess I’m going to be able to take it after all.
    I had been afraid of it but I had to find out for myself what it would do. I’ll let you know what happens.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Lactulose’ is closed to new replies.